Friday, October 31, 2014

Better Homes & Gardens 2014 Christmas Scents

As soon as I walked into Walmart this morning I saw Better Homes & Gardens candles on an end display in the season section.  Because it's Halloween today, of course the store is switching into Christmas mode.  LOL
And of course I headed straight for that display and started scribbling names.  A couple aisle over was a partially stocked Christmas wax section and in there were the anxiously awaited  BH&G Christmas tarts!  I scribbled down all the names, then went back and did some quick sniffing.

So what can you look forward to if you like BH&G tarts?

  • Warm Winter Wishes
  • Winter Ski Resort
  • Sparkling Party Punch (fruity punch scent, not too zesty)
  • Vanilla Cedar Glow
  • Warm Cashmere Sweater
  • Sugared Cranberry Mint
  • Festive Holiday Cheer (returning scent from last year)
  • Spiced Apple Wreath (returning scent from last year)
  • Candied Caramel Pecan
  • Fresh Cut Frasier (returning scent from last year)
  • Spicy Cinnamon Stick (returning scent from last year)
  • Vanilla Buttercream Cupcake (Why is this Christmas?)
  • Christmas Morning Latte (nice, not too strong on the coffee note)
  • Sparkling Berry Garland (generic, craft store scent, perfume/floral-y)
  • Twinkling Holiday Lights (another generic holiday blend, more cologne-y than the above scent)
  • Snowy Winter Woods (returning scent, sort of like ozone and mint)
  • All That Glitters (very blah, perfume-y scent)
  • Buttered Rum Brulee (not enough rum)
  • Frosty Winter Nights (peppery ozone scent)
  • Sweet Roasted Chestnuts (has a smokey note to it)
I'm disappointed in this lineup, just like I was last year.  I much preferred the scents they used to have three or four years ago.  You know, traditional things like gingerbread and eggnog and peppermint.  Maybe these will show up later.  The section wasn't fully stocked yet, as mentioned.  I don't think I'll get any of these this year, and while that's sort of a bummer it also means I've got a green light to go ahead and order more Christmas scents from indie vendors.

Farther down the aisle I saw some tarts from Walmart's 'Holiday Time' line or brand or whatever.
While these scents seemed more promising, they all had a sort of plastic note about them.  Maybe if I'd popped them out of the clamshell I would have gotten a truer scent.  But anyway, the scents in that line were....
  • Christmas Morning (coffee type scent)
  • Cinnamon
  • Balsam & Berries
  • Vanilla Cookie
  • Moonlit Snow
  • Pine
  • Hot Apple Cider
  • Kiss Me Under The Mistletoe
What do you think?  Will you be checking out any of the Better Homes & Gardens winter scents this year?

8 comments:

  1. Hi! First time poster here :) . Felt compelled to write and agree with you. I went to Wal Mart today too, and was very underwhelmed by the Christmas scents so far. I was looking forward to the traditional scents, too, such as cinnamon, gingerbread, and peppermint/vanilla. Maybe Scentsationals will have some of those to fill in the gaps? I hope so. And if not, Yankee is having a tart sale coming up this month ;) .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Laura! Welcome to my humble little blog. I hope you stick around.

      I hope Scentsationals has some good ones. I was looking at some on the site but will wait and see if any show up in the store. I didn't think to look at the tags on the blank shelf spots to see if they were meant for Scentsationals. Duh me.

      Oooh! Do you know when the Yankee tart sale is? I got my first Yankee order the other day and I'm already wanting to order again. I will wait for the sale now! I only have an outlet store near me, not a regular Yankee store, so I finally caved and ordered online.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. That is poops. I was hoping there would be some good ones for you (as mine never has good ones there was no hope for me). Indie vendors :-) do I sense some FP browsing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No such luck. I'm not really surprised since last year's scents were blah too, but I don't understand why they don't continue the usual things like gingerbread and eggnog.

      Hehe, yep, I've been FP browsing. I've been holding off though because I do have a ton of Christmas scents here already. Plus, if we start burning more candles and I order more from Yankee, then tarts won't be melted as much. I'm kinda paused for now.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. Hi, Deb! I just realized I should come on here and give you a heads up that Yankee is having their tart and votive sale. It's $1.00 for each ( half price) and goes through Tuesday. I went to the store and asked if they had a $15.00 off of a $35.00 purchase and stocked up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!

      I got an email announcing the sale so I placed an order last night....for 29 votives. LOL I got repeats of the same five Christmas scents I just recently received, and then I got doubles of a bunch of other Christmas scents. Excited!

      What did you all get? Christmas scents?

      ~Deb

      Delete
  4. I just bought the warm chasmere sweater and I really like it but I agree more traditional scents would b great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily I have three packs of my favorite, Frosty Peppermint Snow, from last year. And I have some partial packs of a couple others so that will help. Still can't believe they didn't put out ANY traditional type ones.

      ~Deb

      Delete