Thursday, October 2, 2014

Order of the Odor, Volume 2

What is your first or most cherished scent memory?

This is actually a really hard question, and that's probably why I kept putting off my assignment for the month. Scent memory? I have no idea. I mean, there are things that when I smell them it will trigger a memory or connection, but I can't really come up with any in just thinking about it. Maybe that's weird. The only thing that comes to mind is that light rain on hot black top ALWAYS makes me think of Great America. When I was in school. our 8th grade class trip was to Great America and I remember it being a hot day, but there was a short period of light rain and my friends and I ducked into one of the shops until it passed. Why this would stick with me so much, I have absolutely no idea.

Fragrance Obsessed: A Rosegirls pie is one of the most coveted wax items around, but find out why Sunnee will take a Rosegirls loaf over a pie any day. You really want to see these loaves.... 

It's Always Something: The Fall Slut has very high standards regarding all things fall related. She has officially proclaimed her favorite, # 1, all-time BEST Fall Scent.

Lolo Loves Scents: Thinking of plotting a Tiffany Candles order soon? You'd be remiss to do so without reading this post first! Lauren, the master of swift and supersonic reviews, busts out 15 Tiffany scent ratings in one breath! Resulting in many lemmings.

The Redolent Mermaid: Julie waxes poetic about a vendor who is taking risks blending with gardenia (with great payoff), has gorgeous scent shots, and fun restock themes. Who is this mystery vendor?


We would love to hear about your first or most cherished scent memory! Please tell us in the comments and hope your October is full of spooky, festive smells.



9 comments:

  1. That is a very distinctive scent. One I kinda enjoy. What is Great America?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Six Flags - Great America......big amusement park.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. I love the smell of rain on blacktop. My favorite nostalgic scent is similar: that dusty smell when the heater starts going on in the fall. It reminds me of an early morning when I was about 11. The furnace going on woke me up and I could hear my dad in the living room reading the paper and listening to the radio, like he did every morning. Such a cozy, safe memory :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of these common, yet very personal and distinct scents. That first of the season heater smell is unmistakable!

      Delete
    2. Ohhh yeah, that first furnace run of the season. There are so many sentimental things that we don't really realize. Like, Haus of Gloi's scent Troika reminds me of my mom but I have no idea why. Did she wear a perfume or lotion similar back when I was a kid or something? I really don't know.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. As I was reading your words, I could almost smell the scent that you described. It's such a good one. With all the afternoon summer thunderstorms in FL, I share this with you as a scent memory -- I almost wish I would have written about it because it's so true for me too!
    *Great America* --DId Mall of America get renamed ? --going to google it now. At first I thought you were referring to your neck of the woods as Great America.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL.....no. Great America is Six Flags - Great America, a huge amusement park in Illinois. The Disneyland of the midwest. lol

      ~Deb

      Delete
  4. What a fantastic scent memory! Rain on a hot blacktop is such a nice scent, very unique and fragrant. I like your memory, and it's not weird at all that you couldn't think of one right away. We are bombarded with scents every single day of our lives, so to narrow it down is tough! Yours is awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know there are some other uniquely strong ones but I probably won't remember them until they happen again. I'll have to start a little list of these scent memories.

      ~Deb

      Delete