Saturday, November 22, 2014

Haul - Petals Bath Boutique


If you've been a follower of this blog for a while you're probably familiar with my whining about falling in and out of love with handcrafted bar soaps.  I decided to give it another try, see if I can rekindle that crazy love I had for the stuff not so long ago.  So when Petals Bath Boutique had their winter release last week, I went ahead and ordered some things.  Petals is primarily a bath and body products vendor but lately seems to be offering wax melts more and more.  I really wanted to try a few more of those too.

Just one week later, my winter release haul arrived.  Let's see what I got!

Sugar Plum - 'Not too sweet but just sweet enough. Sugared plums with a heart of citrus zest on a base of warm vanilla musk.'
On the Petals site, this is called Sugar Plum Fairy, but on the label it's just Sugar Plum.  I decided to give her lotion a try, since I already have one of her body custards.  This is indeed a sweet scent.  The plum is there, deep and slightly dark, with the sweet creaminess from the sugar and vanilla.  The citrus adds some brightness, but never really does reveal itself as 'Hey, there's citrus in there!'  This reminds me of a Bath & Body Works type scent.

 Sugar Plum - 'Not too sweet but just sweet enough. Sugared plums with a heart of citrus zest on a base of warm vanilla musk.'
  I got a bar of soap in the same scent.  What a gorgeous piece of soap!  Scents almost always smell slightly different in soap form than in other products, because of the chemical process the soap goes through.  This time the scent has a very obvious musky note that is not really there much in the lotion version.  These two should compliment each other when I use them together.  Hubby even says this is not too girlie, and that he will use this soap too.

Sleigh Ride - 'Top notes of orange zest with a center of tart Granny Smith apples on a warm and spicy base of clove and fresh mint.'
This is the soap we're switching to the day after Thanksgiving.  I was hoping I'd like this scent, and was greatly relieved to find that I love it.  I mainly get a warm, spiced mint scent.  Hubby thought it smelled woody.  Neither of us really get any of the orange or apple notes but I guess I can see how they might be working in the background to push some sweetness into this.  Ohhh, this a great scent.  Can't wait to use this!

Sugared Almonds - 'Toasted almonds topped with sugary notes of raw sugar cane, coconut milk and vanilla.'
I'm not sure if this is part of the winter release or one of the general catalog scents.  I decided to 'regular' scent to have for hubby if I should fall back out of love with bar soaps, or to have for after the holidays if I do stick with them.  SUCH a yummy scent! The almond note is strong, almost cherry candy-like.  The sweetness of the other notes give it a bit of depth.  The vanilla is working hard to make its presence known.  This scent is strong!  I'm sure this will linger on the skin after use.  Oh, and there's goat milk in it!  I hadn't even noticed that when I ordered.  Yay!

Gingerbread Man - 'Fresh bakes cookies, molasses, ginger, cinnamon and spices.'
Ya gotta have a gingerbread scent at Christmas, right?  Since Better Homes & Gardens failed this year and released none of the good classic Christmas scents, I decided to pick this guy up from Petals.  This is a spicy gingerbread, the molasses coming through strong.  This is not the sweeter type, like you get with frosted types.  This cute little guy is 1.7 ounces, so I'll chop him up and spread him amongst my warmers.

 I'll Be Home - 'A deliciously refreshing holiday fragrance that blends pomegranate, strawberries, raspberries, with subtle hints of fresh peppermint leaves and vanilla.'
 This sounded interesting, and the shapes were so festive that I just had to get them.  If I didn't now better, I would have said this was an 'iced cranberry' scent.  There is tartness, but maybe that's just the mint mixing with the dark fruits.  There is a bit of a harsh note that I'm hoping settles down when it's warmed.  I would call this a tart scent, not a mint scent.  The candy cane is .9 ounce, and the stocking is 1.5 ounces.

 Nutcracker - 'A perfect nutty blend of vanilla, hazelnut, maple syrup, coconut flakes, citrus and clove.'
I wanted to try Kia's clamshells tarts, so when I saw this Nutcracker scent, I grabbed it.  I had this scent years ago as a sample from some vendor and *loved* it.  I don't really see it around much, unless it has a different, more common name.  Then again, I don't look around much these days either.  It reminds me of the hazelnut cream scent that I often love.  I don't get any citrus note from this.  Don't really detect any coconut either.  That's okay, because the rest of the notes blend together to make a rich, sweet, yumminess.  It's actually a much darker, red-brown color than what the picture shows.

I was a little disappointed when I saw these clamshells though.  I hadn't noticed that the website says these are 2 ounce packages.  They looked like regular clamshells, but they're actually much more shallow than the clamshells we're all familiar with.  This one is actually only 1.6 ounces of wax.  Oh well, live and learn.

Peppermint Stick - 'Swirls of peppermint candy and sugar crystals.'
I did not order soap in this scent because I already have a bottle of commercial brand peppermint body wash that I thought I'd be using this Christmas season.  I did want to try the scent though, so I got it in wax form.  A very nice, typical peppermint scent.  Perfect for Christmas.  This pack does weigh 2 ounces.

 Peppermint Stick - 'Swirls of peppermint candy and sugar crystals.'
And then I got a sample of this scent in soap anyway.  LOL  That made me happy.  The scent if a little deeper and fuller, almost a little sweeter in soap form.

 Aspen Hill - 'A truly unique and irresistible blend of blue spruce, earthen moss and sugar crystals with hints of cassis and orange.'
I had debated ordering this but had decided not to because I didn't want to walk around smelling like a Christmas tree.  I'm glad I got a sample of it, just so I can see what it smells like.  And it's not really that bad.  I don't even get a strong spruce scent.  There is sweetness, just a hint of juicy orange, and some almost wood resin hints.  Good scent for men, but not strictly masculine.

 Sundance - [no scent description]
No clue what this scent consists of but it's very nice, sort of pretty, like a shampoo.  I see on the label there is goat milk and oatmeal, as well as clay, so I wonder if this will be good for the face.  That's what I'm going to use it for.  This was another free sample.

Mayan Gold - 'A warm spicy blend with notes of sweet orange, sandalwood, vetiver, vanilla bean and decadent chocolate.'
And finally, another free sample, this one looks way messier in the picture than it really is.  The picture doesn't show all the different brown and gold swirls running through it.  With sandalwood AND chocolate, I knew this was not a scent for me even before I smelled it.  I don't really get a chocolate note, but I still don't like this.  It's one of those sophisticated scents that a certain someone I know would probably like.

And that is my Petals Bath Boutique winter release haul.  I can't wait to start using these things, and am especially curious to see how the lotion works for me.

Did you order from the winter release? 

19 comments:

  1. I love the look of that Sleigh Ride soap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so festive looking! I should have turned the Sugar Plum one around for the picture, because that one is very swirly and gorgeous too.

      Have you liked her soap?

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. Yeah. Although I'm about halfway through the pumpkin patch one (at the sink) and it's starting to get kind of goopy already. Boo. But I like it anyway.

      Delete
  2. Sugar Plum! What an awesome looking soap! Actually, all of them are really pretty! And the peppermint stick...so cool looking with the swirls, like Sleigh Ride,. Please let us know how the wax when you use it. Love the gingerbread man! CHRISTMASTIME IS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Fall Slut would like to remind you that no, Christmastime is not here....yet. Friday, Nov. 28 will usher in Christmas. The Fall Slut requests that you correct your calendars and through process. =P

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. I had never heard of Petal's before, Deb. Checking her website and love that she sells soap samples!! How does her wax perform??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her original name was Beacon Creations, not sure if that rings any bells. Good soaps.

      Delete
    2. No bells ringing ;) Nice to know her soaps are good... I bookmarked her site.

      Delete
    3. Yep, as Jean mentioned, she used to be Beacon Creations and I've known her since all the way back in my earliest soap days. I love her stuff, even if it's not always goat milk soap.

      I have a Melted post or two about her wax. It's pricey, and one was a sticky mess that didn't want to come out of the warmer, but I've had decent results scent-wise. Looking forward to trying these new ones I got.

      ~Deb

      Delete
    4. I was curious about Sundance since it is pretty, not sure if it's the same but the last time Kia wrote about it it was ruby red grapefruit, blood orange, yuzu, lemon drops, and clove, with pink clay for the swirl and orange peel powder in the base. Looks excellent.

      Delete
    5. It might be the same. I'm kinda anxious to try it.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  4. I followed the link over to the website and I was impressed. I expected it to be sold out but was pleasantly surprised to see a nice selection left. Julie sent me some Petals and I really enjoyed it.
    Do you slice your soap like Abby used to do? Do you use a wash cloth? This is becoming a weird line of questioning ...I'll stop while I'm ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not slice my soaps. I like a big chunk to hold on to. When they start to get small and wimpy, I move on to a new bar, but hubby will use the small and wimpy ones right down to nothing. If I have small pieces, I will use them for my face.

      I don't use a wash cloth. I use a pouf, for mega lather.

      Anything else? =P

      ~Deb

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Indeed! Have you ever tried Petals Bath Boutique?

      ~Deb

      Delete
  6. Mayan Gold! I bet I will get along with that one ;-) I am totally living this haul and all the Christmassy goodness. I have missed out on so many holiday releases. I need to try and fix that! Let us know how the lotion does pretty please. Nutcracker sounds like a unique cozy take on a holiday scent. The coconut and spices draw me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Mayan Gold would like to get to know you. =P

      ~Deb

      Delete
  7. Wonderful haul! Sugar Plum has piqued my interest. There was a Sugar Plum scent from Bath and Body Works back in the 90s that was my favorite body care scent ever. I once found a dupe from a B&B etailer called Skindecent back in the day, but haven't been successful in finding another one since! I have a bar of sugar plum soap in my cart that I think I will be pulling the trigger on! Must. Find. Dupe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you order it! Then come back and let us know if it's even remotely close to your beloved scent. =)

      ~Deb

      Delete