Sunday, November 9, 2014

Haul & Review - Country Soaps By Marlene / Shower Gel

Oatmeal, Milk & Honey - 'The wonderful fresh aroma of hawthorne, with nuances of creamy French vanilla, soy milk and a base note of nutty almond.'

I've recently started exploring handcrafted shower gels since I can't seem to renew my old love for handcrafted bar soaps.  I was already familiar with this vendor (Country Soaps By Marlene) from back in my own Etsy soap shop days, and this lady is very local to me.  The thing that made me revisit her Etsy shop is that she uses goat milk in these shower gels.  You know I love goat milk soap!
Of course I decided to start with Oatmeal, Milk & Honey, my sentimental favorite soap scent.

The listing was for a 12 oz. bottle but when she went to make this she found she was out, and used two 6 oz. bottles instead.  I'm fine with that.  Shipping was fast, and these survived the journey, unlike the previous one from another vendor I tried recently.  She also included a sample of goat milk soap in Spiced Cranberry scent.  Not only do I love the scent, but I thought it was nice that she remembered our conversation in which I'd asked if she had Oatmeal, Milk & Honey OR Spiced Cranberry scented shower gel.

I find that I do have to shake this up before I use it.  Well, actually, I don't know that I *have* to, but when they arrived the contents looked slightly separated so I shook it up then to bring it back to it's creamy looking state.  And now I just shake it up before each use.  Like the other shower gel I tried, I have to squirt a lot more of this on my shower pouf than a commercial brand.  But I also find that this one lathers better than the other one.  This lathers quicker, into nice creamy bubbles and foam, and lasts through my entire shower.  The scent is light though.  I wish that was a bit stronger.

Of the two handcrafted shower gels I've tried so far, I prefer this one and would gladly order more if I decide to stick with these homemade products.  They are pricy, that's for sure.  I paid $12.50 for 12 oz., and that bothers my cheap side, especially since you have to use so much at a time.

Do you use 'homemade' shower gels?  Who is your favorite vendor?

2 comments:

  1. I haven't tried any gels from indie vendors. I'm still gravitating towards their bar soap when I order.
    The bottles look humungous in the picture.
    How long do you think 12 oz will last?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bottles do look big in this pic! lol - I hadn't noticed that.

    Sadly, 12 oz. won't last long. I've used this four times now and I'm almost half way through one 6 oz. bottle. It's a bummer that the price is so high and you have to use so much. =(

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete