Sunday, December 7, 2014

Haul - Moeggenborg Sugar Bush

Several years ago, I stumbled across Moeggenborg Sugar Bush through someone's blog or something, and I was smitten.  This was in my soap making days and not only was I thrilled that they had goat milk soap, but they also had wax tarts, and foodie things, and just a mix of stuff.  It was like walking into one of those little country craft stores that I love.  Mary, one of the owners, was very friendly and helpful when I had soap making questions, and was always generous when I placed orders.  Since drifting away from the handcrafted soap world, I hadn't placed an order for quite some time.  I'd meant to get some fudge last year for Christmas and then never did.  When I saw mention of this year's fudge flavors on the MSB Facebook page, I decided to finally place that long overdue order.

I ordered the chocolate walnut fudge and received two half pound boxes.  I love how these are packaged.  They're cute and small, but well presented, so you could get a bunch of these as stocking stuffers or little gifts for teachers or coworkers or whoever.  I'm already thinking of ordering more just that purpose.  When I ordered, it was one pound (in two half pound boxes) for $9.00.  Now I see on the site that only the half pound boxes are available, and they are on sale for $4.50 (regularly $5.00).  Hmmm, yes, seriously considering getting more!  There are a handful of different flavors to choose from too.

Grabbed a bar of soap while I was shopping at the site.  I've had their soap before so I already know I love it, and decided to get my old favorite Honey, Oats & Milk.  Like I said, Moeggenborg Sugar Bush makes goat milk soap.  Yay!  ($4.00/bar)

Raspberry Jasmine Spice - 'Raspberry is the predominant note in this uniquely exotic fragrance. Other fruit and floral notes round out this delightful scent.'
Of course I had to get some wax.  They used to have the cutest little grubbie tarts, but now I see they've switched to clamshell style.  I admit, back when I used to get the grubbies, they weren't always as strong as I prefer but they weren't bad.  Maybe these are stronger now.  I decided to go with a non-seasonal scent because I have so many Christmas/winter ones at the moment.  I took a chance on this scent, being that I'm not into florals.  I was hoping the other notes would help make it okay for me.  And I think they did.  This will be excellent for spring.  It's like a softly spiced fruit scent with a base of prettiness.  It's like a perfume that's not too perfume-y.  But the spice doesn't make it fall-like either.  It's a very interesting scent.  ($2.50/clamshell)
 
Gingerbread - 'Gingerbread is one of our favorite fall and winter scents and this one does not disappoint.'
I had just been talking to someone about how I was bummed I didn't have many gingerbread scents in my wax stash this Christmas, and then the mail arrived with my Moeggenborg package in it.  I pulled this clamshell out and was confused, wondering 'Did I order this?'  Checked back on my receipt and no, I hadn't.  This was that generosity that I mentioned earlier in this post.  Apparently that sweet lady Mary included some holiday greetings with my order.  (Thank you, Mary!)  This is a good gingerbread scent, more the spicy traditional type, and not so much the sweeter, iced cookie type.
 
 I ordered a packet of the Chili Cheese & Bacon Dip mix because hubby enjoys chips and salsa on Vikings game days.  I thought this would be an interesting change.  It's described as 'Our best-selling dip mix, this cheesy, spicy mix packs a lot of bacon flavor. Just mix with sour cream and mayonnaise. Sure to be a crowd pleaser. Each packet makes 2 cups of delicious dip.'  And then I was momentarily confused again when I pulled out the packet of BLT Dip Mix.  Checked the receipt again and found that this must be another bit of Mary's generosity.  (Thank you again!)  This one is described as 'One of our best-selling dip mixes, this savory dip has a hint of sweetness. Packed with dried tomatoes, spinach and bacon, this hearty dip will make you smile! Each packet makes 1 cup of delicious dip.'  Hubby is looking forward to both of these.
($3.00/packet)

That is my Moeggenborg Sugar Bush haul.  I don't remember exactly, but 'sugar bush' is a common term referring to maple syrup production, or something like that.  And yes, the Moeggenborg family is a maple syrup producing family.  Keeping in the spirit, in the past I have tried their maple scented soap and tarts, and have ordered they're maple flavored coffee for hubby, which he really enjoyed.  I did ask Mary if they make maple fudge.  She said they have in the past but it's not a big seller.  I think if I see it offered, I will order some.  I wonder if they ever do little maple candies that I've heard a maple loving coworker talk about?  Perhaps I'll shoot Mary an email and ask.

Another thing they have, and might be most well known for, are their handmade, personalized Christmas stockings.  One of these days I'm going to splurge and get a set for me and my menfolk.  By the time I remembered this year the deadline was past, their order list was full.

But anyway, if you're not familiar with Moeggenborg Sugar Bush, I highly recommend you check out their website.

6 comments:

  1. Deb! This place looks so cute!! I live all the goodies you got. There really is nothing like homemade fudge. Mmmmm.

    You have totally enabled me in this one. Food, candy, wax and soap. Done and done. Please report back on the tasty bits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you order?? Yay! I was just talking to hubby about the fudge and I am indeed going to order more, give some to his parents, and a couple other people.

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. I did!! I ordered a clam, a soap and a dip mix :-) Excited!!!!

      Delete
    3. Did you get your order yet? If there is bloggage coming, I'm looking forward to it.

      I went back and ordered more fudge, and got another cute extra. I'll try to get that haul post up tomorrow.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. LOL! I forgot you had a blog until I saw there was traffic from it. Thanks for the great write-up! I haven't had time to breathe lately, let alone blog. I really do need to update. I am about 5 batches of soap behind. Quilting? Yes, I used to quilt. May do so again some day. Hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Yep, I still have my good ol' blog, although I've been in a bit of a blogging slump lately. I go through phases of soap stuff, wax stuff, reviewing things, etc.

      I'm glad to have ordered from you again!

      ~Deb

      Delete