Friday, December 12, 2014

Review - Yankee Scenterpiece

I recently received this Yankee Scenterpiece wax warmer as a gift from a very generous waxy friend.  I'd been curious about this since seeing how much ScentMyWay (on YouTube) enjoys hers.  I've never had luck with Yankee's tarts but I thought maybe this might be better.  Several people have been waiting for me thoughts on this, and I finally had a chance to use it today, so here goes.

There are several different colors and styles to choose from.  I really like this one that I received.  It's simple and fairly neutral.  It reminds me of the clay pots we probably all made in school.  This one is a little over four inches tall and about four and a half inches wide.  It's quite heavy, very solid.  There is a nice long cord with an on/off switch.  The cord is longer than the Glade warmer cord, and I really like that.

The wax comes in a sturdy plastic cup with a resealable plastic lid.  There is 2.2 ounces of wax and the label claims you'll get approximately 24 hours of fragrance.  I only have one 'meltcup,' as they are called.  It was part of the gift but did not actually come *with* the warmer.  This one I have is Winter Garden and is described as 'Quietly captivating . . . the refreshing scent of lush evergreen branches captured in icy splendor.'

The cool thing about this system is you don't have to measure any wax, don't have to break off pieces or cut chunks.  You just put the whole cup in the warmer and you're ready.

So, how did it work?  
I'll just say it.  I was disappointed.

 See this?  This is the meltcup after about 35 minutes of being in the warmer.  At this point I started noticing the first wisps of scent.  See how much is left to melt?  Yeah, it took a full hour to get fully melted, and it took that full hour to really consistently smell anything.  I'm too impatient for that.  I've been spoiled by years of tea light warmer usage, where I have scent within the first couple minutes.

The scent itself was nice, but it was way too light for me.  I don't know if this scent in particular is light in general?  Or is it the same old deal of having no success with Yankee's tarts?  I'm not sure.  If anyone is familiar with this scent, let me know.

I don't really want to give up on this yet because I feel bad for not liking something that was gifted to me.  After Christmas maybe hubby and I will go visit the Yankee outlet store near here and see if they have any of the meltcups there.  Or maybe I'll browse the website and pick out a few.  I think I'll just set this aside for now though.  I have too many other Christmas/winter tarts that I need to get going on.  Even if I do get some other scents in the Yankee meltcups, I think this would only be good to use on days you know you're going to be home all day.  The slow melt time is definitely not for those times when you have a few hours and want to pop in something quick.

Have you tried the Yankee Scenterpiece system yet?  What are some Yankee scents that you know to be strong, that I can look for in meltcup form?

7 comments:

  1. Such a bummer! I'm hoping it's just this particular scent that was a dud. Fingers crossed that the outlet store carries the meltcups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm anxious to get there now, just to see if they do.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. I have a pumpkin Scenterpiece for a birthday gift but none of the scents that are for it. Just a couple tarts. I have a bunch of other regular wax melts. Anyone know of a way I could use those in this? Without being the wax that is to be paired with it???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that some people use those reusable silicone cupcake liners in other tart warmers. Maybe that would work in this too?

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. I was told to buy just one melt cup, as they're shaped to fit, pop the scent out and use the tarts in the empty cup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, there you go! Good idea. =)

      ~Deb

      Delete