Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Melted - BH&G / Buttered Rum Brulee

Buttered Rum Brulee - [no scent description]

When the 2014 Better Homes & Gardens Christmas/winter scents came out late last fall, I was very disappointed in the lineup.  I don't think I bought any of them.  I did receive this one for Christmas though, and since my blog is totally lacking lately and I've been saying I'm going to spend some time with retail brands over indie vendors for a while, I went ahead and melted it.

I always get excited when I see a butter rum type scent.  I always expect it to be rich and creamy, like the Butter Rum flavored Lifesavers.  This Buttered Rum Brulee is sooo not that.  There is a lot more spice than I ever would have expected.  There is also an almost perfume-y note to it.  Lurking deep in there is that lovely butter rum scent I always hope for but it's losing it's battle.  This is just a spicy perfume.  *sigh*

This was also a rare fail in the performance department.  One of the things I've always loved about the Better Homes & Gardens tarts is that they are strong and reliable.  I have had a few lighter scents along the way but I think this is the biggest dud I've come across from this brand.  I had two cubes melting in my tea light warmer and early on had about a lighter medium scent and throw.  I added two cubes to a second tea light warmer in another room, hoping to boost the scent, but nope.  Even when I added the last two cubes, using my Glade warmer, I could barely notice the scent.  Once in a while I would get a brief strong whiff of warm spice, like if someone walked by and stirred up the air.  Otherwise though, complete dud.

I would not bother with this scent again but it does not change my thoughts on the brand over all.

4 comments:

  1. bummer! Look at that picture, it should be a yummy, fragrant melt. Have you ever had creme brulee? So good --now a buttered rum brulee, that sounds even more amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bummer indeed. I have not ever had creme brulee, or anything brulee. I wouldn't even know what to do with it.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. One of my favorite desserts. Creme brûlée that is. Sorry this was a dud on a couple if levels, but man did it have potential! Looking forward to seeing other BGH tart reviews though <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kinda nice getting back into these Melted posts. I'm sure I'll grow tired of doing them again soon enough, but for now, I'm glad to be back.

      ~Deb

      Delete