Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Watched - Maleficent

Maleficent
2014
PG, 97 minutes

Explore the untold story of Disney's most iconic villian in this wickedly fun twist on the classic Sleeping Beauty.  In an unforgiving mood after a neighboring kingdom threatens her forest, Maleficent places an irrevocable curse on the king's newborn daughter, the Princess Aurora.  But as the child grows, Maleficent finds herself becoming fond of the girl.  And as the conflict between the two realms intensifies, Maleficent realizes that Aurora may hold the key to peace in the land.  Journey beyond the fairy tale in this soaring adventure that is "visually arresting, brilliantly designed."

I've said it before, that I am by no means any sort of Disney or fairy tale expert.  Most of them, I barely know anything but the most basic details.  The Sleeping Beauty story is one I knew almost nothing about.  I was immediately intrigued by this retelling of the story, and I read the book version of it last year before the movie came out.

(Read my thoughts on this book HERE.)

I did not see this movie in the theater.  I got the DVD for Christmas though, and finally watched it last night.  I loved it!  There were some things from the book version left out, like more of the beginning where it sort of set the stage for why humans were 'bad,' and how Maleficent's parents died.  One of the left out parts, I thought should have absolutely been in the movie.  Unless I'm remembering the book wrong, when Stefan did what he did to gain favor from the king, thinking he'd be the dying king's successor, I'm pretty sure the king mocked him and said something along the lines of him being a peasant or not worthy or something.  And I think Stefan's rage boiled up and he killed that king.  Right?  In the movie, it was just Stefan doing what he did, and becoming the dying king's successor.  I think that leaving in the mocking and the killing, it would have showed his greedy ambition even more.

But anyway, loved the movie.  It was beautiful to watch, and the story kept a good pace so I was always interested.  Loved Angelina Jolie in this role.  And the story itself is so sad, so bittersweet.  Stefan and Maleficent were in love until his greed grew and he betrayed her.  Maleficent's anger and need for revenge grew and she cursed his baby.  By hurting the man she had loved, she was also hurting his innocent daughter.  She then spent the next sixteen years keeping an eye on this daughter, to be sure the curse would be fulfilled . . . and found herself eventually growing fond of the child.  There was no way to stop the curse though.  Was any of it worth it?  In the end, things worked out, as they always do in fairy tales, but it was such a sad road to get there.

I loved this movie and am already wanting to watch it again.  I want to watch the original Disney version of Sleeping Beauty now too.

Have you seen Maleficent?

6 comments:

  1. YAY! I am so glad you liked the movie! It really was better than people gave it credit for, IMO. Can't wait to read the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I finally watched it. It would be so nice if I could find my patience to regularly sit through movies again.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. You should watch it. Did you guys switch to your non-cable TV plan yet?

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. Nope, we keep wavering back and forth. We just got a somewhat cheaper cable plan, though.

      Delete
    3. Ty was getting so bored without TV that he almost added cable back, then went ahead and finally started Netflix instead and he loves that. Luckily his internet is fast enough, living there in town now, to be able to stream stuff. We never can out here.

      ~Deb

      Delete