Sunday, January 18, 2015

Yankee Gift Card Haul

I received a Yankee gift card for Christmas and since hubby and I were in the neighborhood of the Yankee outlet store, we stopped in to see if anything needed to come home with us.  The outlet can suck in that you don't always get the new items or the popular items, but it can be excellent for finding regular things at awesome prices (usually at least 50% off).

We didn't have a lot of time to browse and sniff and hunt for treasures because he had to get going to a work dinner.  Hubby wasn't being too cooperative this time either.  Usually it's him picking scents.  Usually we stop at that store in the spring.  Usually we end up getting the bright and floral spring scents that he prefers.  This time he kept saying shrugging it off as the gift card was mine so I should choose.  I think we're just in an awkward place right now scent-wise.  I mean, the holiday scents are over and the new spring scents are coming out, but where does your brain want your nose to be?  Somewhere in between.  I kept seeing all these wonderful fall and winter scents that I'd love to have but as I've mentioned in other posts, I don't want to stockpile last year's scents and end up limiting what new ones I buy when that time of rolls around again.

One thing I knew I wanted was Candy Cane Lane in something larger than the votives we had at Christmas.  I loved this scent so much, I knew I wanted it again for next Christmas.  One of the store ladies found this and I pretty much snatched it from her hand.  LOL!  The scent is described on the site as 'A favorite holiday place where delicious dreams are made, with tingly peppermint, sweet cookies and creamy vanilla icing.'  It's a wonderful, warm bakery scent with hints of sweet peppermint.  Sooo good!

Tarts and votives were on sale, 10 for $12, so this is where I thought we'd end up spending the rest of the gift card.  Hubby wasn't doing much to pick scents he liked though, and I just kept finding myself back at the fall and winter leftovers, so we didn't get nearly as many as I'd thought we would.  Did get North Pole though, because it was another one I really enjoyed during Christmas.  Described as ' . . . a sweet blend of icy cool mint and sugary rich vanilla cream,' this one is more minty than Candy Cane Lane, and doesn't have the bakery notes.

I think I passed on Snowflake Cookie when I placed my order for Christmas votives last fall.  It just kept jumping out at me in the store though.  Everywhere I turned, there it was in some form.  So I grabbed two votives.  It is described on the site as '. . . perfectly pretty holiday cookies, deliciously decorated with sugary pink icing.'  It smells a little perfume-y for a cookie scent, but it is still a nice scent.  Not sure if I'll set these aside till next Christmas or burn them now since they aren't really Christmas-y beyond the cute label and name.

I kept hearing good things about Pumpkin Ginger Bark last fall, so I ended up grabbing these.  Described as ' . . . an indulgent recipe of snappy ginger, warm pumpkin and rich vanilla sugar,' it smells quite spicy on cold sniff.  I'm also getting that sot of plastic, harsh note that I often get when trying to sniff Yankee products in the store.  That should go away once this is warmed though.

I can't even find Morning Roast on the Yankee website?  Is this one discontinued?  It's just a basic coffee scent, which I know a lot of people shy away from in wax.  This one seems okay though, at least on cold sniff.  It's not too harsh or bitter.  Hubby found this one.

Turquoise Sky is described as 'Calm, salty air with hints of sea grass and musk, float gently on ocean waves . . . off on an adventure beneath a bright blue sky.' Hubby picked this one.  I usually don't give these types of scent much notice because, I don't know, the names are usually no indication of what's in that scent and the blends are often indescribable.  That's dumb, I know.  Especially since a lot of these types surprise me in how much I like them.  Like this one.  I really quite like it!  Of course I have no idea how to describe it beyond stupid things like 'It has a moist note about it.'  Moist note?  What exactly is that?  See what I mean?  LOL!  But yes, there is a feeling of water, some sweetness, a hint of something like cologne.  I don't know, I just really need to give these types more of a chance.

We both agreed on Lilac Blossoms.  It's described as 'An alluring grove of lavender, white, and deep purple lilacs.'  We have a big lilac bush in our front yard, and it's one of the few floral scents I do like.  It reminds me of home and of childhood because we also had a big lilac bush at my childhood home.  While this is not the best lilac scent I've had in wax, it is still really nice.

We had to get going to that work dinner so this was all we got this time.  I still have a bit left on that gift card so I tried to place an order online this morning to use it up.  Heh, yeah, nothing but drama there because apparently you can't use gift cards to pay if you check out through PayPal.  And Yankee's live chat support was pretty much rude and useless today so I have no idea if my request to cancel the order will go through out not.  Oh well, if not, hubby says we'll just run back to the outlet store when we have more time and look around more thoroughly.  Either way, I'll post the second part of the gift card haul whenever and wherever I end up getting it from.

Oh!  I also asked at the store if they had any of the Scenterpiece meltcups.  The girl said they do not carry them yet because they are still too new and too popular.  She said it would probably be six months before they start showing up in the outlet store.  I also noticed those jar shaped tarts, the 'easy clean' ones, but didn't really pay much attention to the scents because I've never had much luck with Yankee tarts.

So anyway, what are your go to products from Yankee?

6 comments:

  1. Nice haul! Those candy cane scents would be perfect at bedtime <3 though I know you prefer them for Christmas. I really don't have much luck with their tarts either.

    My Yankee favorites are their tea lights, bead jars for the car under my seat and their Sun & Sand scent. I am keeping my eye out for that Sea Breeze warmer too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been considering trying their tea lights for a while now. I paused on the Sun & Sand scent this morning while browsing! I think I was coming across it at the store too. I'll have to try it some time.

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. Why is mint good for bed? Is it just a personal preference, or is there some aromatherapy quality like lavender=calm....? Just curious.

      ~Deb

      Delete
    3. It relaxes me, helps with stress but in reality it is supposed to be a stimulant, invigorating. I feel like it opens up my breathing and relaxes my mind. Probably all in my head but I love it. Like the cold side of the pillow. Bliss.

      Delete
  2. LOL, Deb! Don't snatch candles! :) ;)

    Nice haul! Lilacs are such a comforting memory scent. Moist note, your post is crackin' me up! So true about not knowing how to describe things. Pumpkin Ginger Bark is one I may track down next year! Enjoy your goodies! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby burned those lilac votives already! I came home from work and was like "What the heck is that smell?" I mean, geez, you don't expect lilac in friggen January. I gave him The Look, and his reasoning was that he is tired of winter and wanted to perk things up. Still......

      ~Deb

      Delete