Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Haul - Rosegirls / Muffin Club #2

In May of 2014 my waxy bloggy friends convinced me to be part of a Rosegirls Muffin Club.  (If you don't know what a muffin club is, you can read more about it HERE.)  It was an interesting experience but I'd told these waxy friends I probably wouldn't do it again.  It was frustrating for me to try and come up with blends, and I absolutely hated the long turnaround time.

Well, here we are in February 2015 and I have received my share of Muffin Club #2.  Ha, yeah, I caved and did another one with my waxy bloggy enablers.  This time was a bit more fun because hubby got involved, we were planning fall and winter scents, and we each did four blends instead of two.  And then the TAT kept growing longer, and longer, and longer . . . to the point that Rosegirls eventually offered apologies because a good chunk of the orders from that opening had fall and winter scents but wouldn't even be going out until it was too late to enjoy them.  They offered a limited number of changes per order.  But for me it was just a very heavy reminder of why I didn't want to do another Muffin Club in the first place.  

The opening of the website was in mid or late June 2014.  I did not change any of my blends later when that option was available, because I was just crabby by that point and didn't even care anymore.  I told my waxy friends *again* that I would not be doing another Muffin Club, and I put my foot down about it this time.  Like I said, we just received this June 2014 order now in mid February 2015.  I was the last of our group to receive my part of the Club goodies so I did get to hear some first impressions from the other ladies about what we'd all created this time.

And now I can finally show you my share, and let you know my first thoughts.

(I forgot to take a group 'haul' pic.  Oops!)

Ooey Gooey Caramel / Toffee Apple Crunch / Dunk My Donut
I really like this one.  It's a delicious caramel apple scent that will be perfect for fall.  There is just a hint of spice, some lovely sweet and creamy caramel, and just enough apple to let you know it's there.
Cherry Berry Punch / Lemonade
This one is verrry candy-like sweet.  It packs quite a 'Wake up!' punch.  There is some zing or zest in this, an almost dry, powdery after-taste.  This will be fun for summer, or a dreary day when you just want something fun.

Lavender / Vanilla Bean Noel / Birthday Cake
I'm not a huge lavender fan but if it's blended with interesting things I'm sometimes okay with it.  This might be one of those okay times.  The lavender is soft.  If I didn't know it was there, I might not even recognize it.  I don't get a distinct cake note but there is a nice vanilla bakery blend keeping that lavender in check.

Peppermint / Lemonade / Sugared Apple
This was one of my blends and even though I had fall and Christmas scents for my other choices, I was most anxious to see how this would be.  Early reviews from the other Muffin Club members had me even more excited.  It's really quite interesting.  The first note that hits my nose is the apple but it's so quickly chased away by a lighter version of the powdery zing from that earlier tart, and then a tiny spark of warm and creamy comes from somewhere.  The mint sort of glides in with that zingy note (that I now assume comes from lemonade), so you might not even realize there is mint involved.  It's not at all fall-like because of the apple, and not at all winter or Christmas-y because of the mint, so I'm really curious how this will be when warmed.

Cranberry Orange / Marshmallow Smoothie / Cranberry Marmalade
I think Julie said she'd finally found her perfect spiced cranberry scent with this one.  This is indeed pretty close to cranberry heaven, but there is one out there that I do like more.  This is divine though.  The marshmallow keeps the cranberry from being too tart.  The orange adds some sweetness and juiciness but isn't a distinctly orange note on its own.  There is just enough soft spice in there to warm it all up and make it perfect for fall.  Yuh-uhm!

Sweet Lemon Confection / Orange Revival / Sage
This might almost be one of my favorites of the whole bunch.  I'm not familiar with sage, so I wasn't sure what to expect.  I'm still not sure just how much it's doing in this blend or even how to describe it, but there is something doing wonderful things in there.  This is a bright citrus scent, for sure.  It reminds me of candy again, of Lemonheads, but then there is that something . . . the sage, probably . . . adding a sort of green note.  An herbal note?  It's hard to describe!  In some ways this reminds me of the Fruit Loops scent, which makes it funny that I like this one as much as I do.

Christmas Past / Cranberry Orange
I don't remember what is in Christmas Past but there must be pine or spruce.  This is one of those 'craft store at Christmas' type scents, sometimes considered a generic Christmas blend.  It's nice though *because* of that.  You get the hints of Christmas tree, the hints of spice, the sweet and tart from the cranberry and orange.  This will be great for right after Thanksgiving as we jump straight into Christmas.

Pecan Waffles / Cotton Candy Frosting / Blueberry Cobbler
I think this is the one I've been smelling the most since opening the box these all came in and having them sit out while taking pictures and writing this post.  It's so sooo good.  If my sister still like blueberry muffin scents, I'm pretty sure I'll need to share some of this with her.  It's like a deep, rich blueberry bakery scent but then the pecan waffles add a bit more depth.  There is more of a 'body' with those extra notes.  I don't really get any cotton candy notes, and suspect that might just be enhancing the sweet blueberry notes.

Marshmallow Smoothie / Celtic Moonspice / Apple Puff Pastry
Ohhh, were that other apple scent will be my fall-time caramel apple scent, this one will fill the spiced apple spot on my fall scent menu.  I get the apple first, but it's subdued a bit by the marshmallow and hints of bakery from whatever the 'Puff Pastry' part of this is.  The spice is all around it, yet not too harsh or sharp.  It's a warm, spicy apple scent.  I suppose, if you didn't know just what was in here, you might think this is simply hot apple pie.  And that's totally okay with me!

Peppermint / Royal Sugar Cookie
Yes, yes, yesss.  A delicious sweet mint scent for Christmas.  I don't really recognize the cookie as cookie but it serves to soften and warm up the peppermint just enough to make it my favorite kind of Christmas scent.

Peppermint / Christmas Past
While I had such high hopes for this one, I think it might actually be the bummer of the bunch for me.  I'm iffy on pine, spruce, Christmas tree scents, and can usually only tolerate them in small doses to get me in the holiday mood.  I thought maybe the mint would be enough of a distraction to just reinforce 'Christmas!' in my brain.  The pine smacks you in the face right out of the gate with this one though.  I almost don't even notice the mint because I'm still digging out from under the Christmas tree.

Although, ya know what?  Now that I've sniffed this one a million times to write this post, it's starting to grow on me.  It definitely does turn your thoughts to Christmas.  I might have to just melt small amounts at a time now and then through the holiday season.

Pink Sugar / Margarita / Watermelon Slush
This one is funny.  I get a nice creamy watermelon scent from this.  Creamy watermelon?  Yes, that's why it's funny.  Sometimes I seem to get the faintest hints of Pink Sugar, but other times I think it's the Margarita working hardest to take that watermelon note to the prom.  This is not my preferred type of scent but it's not too bad.  It will be a nice change of pace, or cleansing scent.

Monster Cookie / Southern Creme Brulee / Pumpkin Chai
With Monster Cookie and Pumpkin Chai in here, I thought this would be fabulous.  I had to laugh when I picked up a notorious note, known here on my blog as 'meat tart.'  LOL!  I don't know what's causing it, but it's there, kinda settled right down in the middle of the otherwise greatness that could have come from this.  And I can't get away from it now matter how hard I try to focus on the pumpkin or the spice or the cookie.

Strawberry Jam / Sicilian Lemon Cookies / Royal Sugar Cookies
I mainly get the cookie notes right now.  A bit of the strawberry is poking through, and a hint of the lemon is trying to come through.  Hopefully those come out more when warmed.  It's a nice cookie scent though, even if that's all it manages to be.

Sweet Pumpkin Pie / Vanilla Bean Noel / Vanilla Wafers
This one has potential to be a very yummy fall scent.  The pumpkin is definitely there, although it reminds me more of just the canned pie filling type of pumpkin scent.  I don't get much spice, if any.  The other notes provide a gentle, 'safe' vanilla bakery scent.  I think this might end up being one of those nice, background scents to set a subtle mood while you start prepping for the holidays.

Vanilla Bean Noel / Strawberry Raspberry Guava / Marilyn
And finally, this one reminds me of . . . Easter.  Why?  I have no idea.  The pastel colors?  The candy-like sweetness that makes me think of jelly beans and candy in plastic grass filled baskets?  This is a bright and perky fruit scent, but still on the hesitant side of being full blown juicy summer fruit type.  There is a bit of a SweeTarts note to this.  I like it.

As mentioned earlier in this post, I said I would not do another one of these Muffin Clubs.  I was absolutely, positively, 100% sure of that.  But guess what.  There are rumors that the next Rosegirls opening will be in March and yes, I've agreed to do one more Muffin Club.

Whyyyyyy do I do these things?  We're going to be stuck in the same situation of wondering how many months the TAT will be, so what season should we plan for?  Looking at the fall and winter scents I already have here, I don't need to make more of those types blends.  Do we hope for a shorter TAT this time and shoot for some fruity summer blends?  Who freakin' knows?  But we've already got our crazy mad blender hats back on already, trying for some new surprise hits.

How about you?  Do you dabble in custom blending?  Will you be putting your blending skills to the test for this next opening?  See anything in this bunch of muffins that sounds promising?

Blend away!




6 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmm!!! Muffins!! Glad we twisted your arm so we can get all your yummy blends. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea which way to go for the next round. LOL Wish we knew what scents are going to be available!

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. Meat tart is back again! LOL! I am so glad you decided to come back for us this time, and for next time! You know you secretly love muffin club, even with an outrageous TAT. <3

    I totally agree about the last one being easter-y, it's gotta be the colors!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not just the TAT. It's the price of the gamble, and the pressure of making things that we'll all like. Too. Much. Stress! lol

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. I think is muffin club was a huge success and I'm so glad you're back on board with MC3! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be interesting this next time, since we have no idea what time frame to plan on. We'll probably all end up doing 'everyday' scents.

      ~Deb

      Delete