Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Read - Beautiful Redemption

Beautiful Redemption
by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl
2012
451 pages

'Is death the end . . . or only the beginning?

Ethan Wate has spent most of his life longing to escape the stiflingly small Southern town of Gatlin. He never thought he would meet the girl of his dreams, Lena Duchannes, who unveiled a secretive, powerful, and cursed side of Gatlin, hidden in plain sight. And he never could have expected that he would be forced to leave behind everyone and everything he cares about. So when Ethan awakes after the chilling events of the Eighteenth Moon, he has only one goal: to find a way to return to Lena and the ones he loves.


Back in Gatlin, Lena is making her own bargains for Ethan's return, vowing to do whatever it takes -- even if that means trusting old enemies or risking the lives of the family and friends Ethan left to protect.

Worlds apart, Ethan and Lena must once again work together to rewrite their fate, in this stunning finale to the Beautiful Creatures series.
'

*** MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS ***

I don't think I ever posted about the third book in this series.  I'd been so bored with the second that for a while I wasn't sure I was even going to continue with the series.  I eventually had though and found the third book to be a bit more interesting, and downright heartbreaking at the end.  So with that ending in mind, I was very curious to see where this fourth and final book of the series would go.

This one opened with huge potential and really got me thinking about something.   Now, I'm not a religious person, not sure just what I believe or not.  I've wondered and worried about what happens after death.  The beginning of this book kinda made up my mind that I hope there is nothing.  You see, when Ethan wakes up after his 'suicide,' he is back with his mom and that's a wonderful thing.  Then he realizes he can still watch over Lena and everyone he left behind, and can see all their pain and suffering, and can see the aftermath of what happened in the third book.  He had thought that with his sacrifice everything would be okay.  He also learns there are ways to communicate and possibly a way for him to go back to the living.  He becomes obsessed with this.  I don't remember if he actually thinks it in the book and that's what got me thinking it, or if it was just a conclusion I came to myself, but I started thinking it would all be so much better if you die and that's it.  Lights out.  End of you and your conscious.  No more worries.  Nothing.

Well that's morbidly depressing, huh??

Anyway, Ethan finds out someone had altered things in the big book of destinies and that he was never meant to be the sacrifice.  He has a chance to change things back and be reunited with Lena.  Of course, this will involve an extremely risky journey.  It means making a choice between getting back to Lena in the land of the living, and leaving his mother who he has now been reunited with in the land of the dead.  And if he fails his quest it's not like 'Oh well, I'll be staying with my mom then.'  No, where he's going and what he needs to do could possibly send him to what I guess would be hell, where he wouldn't even have his mom.  So it's heartbreaking again when he chooses to take the risk, and leaves his mom.

The story becomes a sort of Lord of the Rings heavy fantasy adventure then.  I wasn't liking it at first but managed to eventually just go with it.  One problem I had, once again, was that I took too much time in reading this book.  I'd been really lacking in reading motivation for quite some time, so I was only reading little bits of this at a time, much like I did with the previous books in the series.  I can't help but wonder if I'd enjoy the whole series more if I'd really applied myself and got through them more efficiently.  But even so, I did enjoy this book.  There were some weaknesses in the story, like things that could or couldn't be done in Ethan's attempts to communicate with the living, but overall it was still an interesting story.  I was caught off guard by something big towards the end, but then the actual ending just sort of . . . ended.  Really?  How were some of the events explained?  How did people carry on afterwards?  I need to know these things!  I need some closure! lol

I know that is at least one more book, a companion book to this series.  I'm undecided at the moment whether I want to read it or not.  While I did enjoy the series, for some reason I just couldn't seem to lose myself in these books and plow through them.  Maybe someday when my life isn't so frazzled, I'll go back and read these again, and hopefully enjoy them more thoroughly.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't get into the second one at all, which is disappointing because I like the characters and the author had set up such an interesting world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the third and fourth ones a lot more than the second, but still not as much as the first. Might be worth it to struggle through that boring second one to get to what happens after. =)

      ~Deb

      Delete