Saturday, March 14, 2015

Watched - Devil's Due

Devil's Due
2014
Rated R, 89 minutes

'After a mysterious, lost night on their honeymoon, a newlywed couple finds themselves dealing with an earlier-than-planned pregnancy.'

I stumbled upon the end of this movie about a month ago while flipping through channels one boring afternoon.  It intrigued me enough to do a DirecTV search and have the DVR record it the next time it was on.  Then I forgot about.  Until a couple days ago.

Okay, saying it right off the bat.  This movie got horrible ratings on the big movie sites.  A lot of people rely heavily on such ratings.  I do not.  I really liked this movie!  I was quite surprised.  It's done in the same vlogger style camerawork as things like Blair Witch and Paranormal Activity.  That might have been part of what sucked me in originally.  But yeah, crap ratings or not, I liked this movie.  It's actually rather sad.

I don't know how much to say without spoiling the story but basically this couple goes on their honeymoon, has a crazy night of partying in a strange place, strange land, and soon finds out the wife is pregnant even though she's on the pill.  'Oh well, these things happen,' is the reaction of people around her.  The husband is thrilled, but the wife has mixed feelings.  She can't get rid of the feeling that something is wrong.  She starts doing some weird things, gets violent and seems to space out at times.  It's sad when, in her clear headed moments, she's crying and feeling like a failure, or is frightened when she comes back from one of the incidents.  There is one explosive argument where she angrily reminds her husband that she didn't want to get pregnant and this stage of their lives.  As things take their toll on her, she just becomes more withdrawn and tired.  Her sobbing "I'm sorry," during a moment of lucidity in the big climax just makes you want to cry too.

The hubby is quite a sweetie.  He's just trying to help her, be there for her.  He's worried about her, asking questions of the doctors when she's not.  He holds her as she comes out of her weird spells, coaxing her back with strong embraces and reassuring "I'm here, it's me,"s.  He figures out what's going on but will it be in time to save her?

The movie is in the handheld camera type style because he wanted to record their lives together.  He said his dad was always doing it while he was growing up, capturing the everyday things as well as the usual big events.  He wanted to do that too now that they were getting married and starting their new lives together.  There is also some in-home security camera type footage that I didn't really understand at first.  Let's just say it wasn't them that installed the cameras . . .

As with these types of movies, you don't always get all the information you might want.  It leaves a lot to wonder about.  Like why didn't he protest more in the end?  Why didn't he have anyone look at the video footage?  But sometimes leaving you hanging makes it more interesting.

I liked this movie enough that I will probably buy it on DVD to have in our spooky Halloween season collection.

5 comments:

  1. Cool that it was an accidental find! I love that stuff, stumbling across something with no expectations that you end up liking a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably wouldn't like this one. Have you watched Paranormal Activity yet? *wink wink*

      Yeah, it's cool to come across gems. A guy at work will not even bother with a movie if it has poor reviews. I don't think that's fair.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. Good review! I will be looking to see this one too. But, you said: "The movie is in the handheld camera type style because he wanted to record their lives together," and I immediately thought, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Was it dizzying in a vomitous sort of way like most handheld camera movies are?? But then you mentioned, "Let's just say it wasn't them that installed the cameras . . ." and the hairs stood up on the back of my neck! WOOT!! I love a good scary movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a couple dizzying bits, like when someone was running and you couldn't always make out what was going on. One thing I hate in movies is dark scenes. There were a lot of dark scenes in this one, which started to bother me, but I didn't have to rage-quit. lol

      ~Deb

      Delete