Sunday, March 15, 2015

Watched - Percy Jackson / The Lightning Thief

Percy Jackson - The Lightning Thief
2010
Rated PG, 118 minutes

'A teenager discovers he's the descendant of a Greek god and sets out on an adventure to settle an on-going battle between the gods.'

I read this book recently, finally, and enjoyed it enough that I was very much looking forward to watching the movie.  Well, I watched it last night and . . . wow.  They kept the most basic bits of needed info from the book and pretty much made a whole new story out of it.  Wow.  Yeah, movies are often different than their book version but usually it's a change in a scene or something.  Not the whole dang story.

I've had some time to think about the movie vs. the book now.  The movie does flow quicker and smoother than the storyline in the book.  I suppose in that way, it works.  It keeps moving along and has a more 'fun' vibe about it that probably appeals to the intended crowd.  But it also made their adventure seem way too easy.  They have someone who tells them all they need to know, gives them tools and a map, and sends them on their way.  The map tells them exactly where they need to go each step of the way.  They have a vehicle the entire way.  They check into motels.  It's just way too easy.

I did like Grover in the movie but even there, they changed so much.  In the book he's a bumbling nervous type.  In the movie he's all perky and confident and quite the ladies man.

It was quite funny to me that Annabeth was the one character in the book I had a hard time liking, and she ended up being the one I hated most in the movie.  I think it was the actress though.  These kids are supposed to be about 12 years old in the book.  Why did the movie version of her look like a 20 year old hooker?

There was no mention of Kronos anywhere in the movie.  And Luke was acting alone in the movie.  I'm curious now to see how the second movie will be.  I'm still reading that book though, so it'll be a little bit before I watch that movie.

So, as a movie, I did like this.  I'm just rather bummed they changed SO much.

6 comments:

  1. I totally do not understand the thinking behind some of these film versions of popular books. Wouldn't the primary audience for the movie be the people who enjoyed the books? If so, then why change it so much? It's baffling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They might have been hoping the primary audience would be teenagers who love to go to the mall and hang out at movies and then buying related things. In that way, like I mentioned, I can see why they'd make it a bit more 'fun.' And then maybe they were hoping by drawing them into the first movie, those kids would be interested enough to read the rest of the books....?

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. Completely agree on the last statement - the series has fans for a reason, there was no need to reinvent everything. The second movie (Sea of Monsters) was more accurate, but essentially combined book #2 and #5. As far as I know there are no plans to expand the franchise. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear the second movie will be more accurate. I'm about halfway through that book right now. Since you say it combines the 2nd and 5th books, I wonder if I should wait and read the five books before watching the second movie. Hmm.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. I just don't get why someone would take a book and turn it into a completely different movie. To me, that's not an adaptation, it's something entirely different. Josh and I watched this when it came out on DVD, but I remember not liking it and it seemed like a Harry Potter-type of rip-off in the way that "Divergent" and "The Maze Runner" could be viewed in comparison to "The Hunger Games," but I want to read the book and re-watch the movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only natural something like this would be compared to Harry Potter. I even mentioned in my post about the book version, that I'd started out comparing them myself. I let it go though and enjoyed the story anyway.

      ~Deb

      Delete