Friday, March 27, 2015

Watched - Percy Jackson / Sea of Monsters

Percy Jackson - Sea of Monsters
2013
Rated PG, 106 minutes

'In order to restore their dying safe haven, the son of Poseidon and his friends embark on a quest to the Sea of Monsters to find the mythical Golden Fleece while trying to stop an ancient evil from rising.'

Someone told me this movie stayed more true to the book than the first one had.  Having just finished reading this book, and knowing that, I was very much looking forward to watching this movie.  And I was shocked.  Closer to the book??  I was seriously questioning whether that person had even read the books.  It's taken a few days of thinking it over and letting my angry feelings settle down, but I can now see how maybe this might be considered following the book more closely.

Okay, so the key characters and elements were there.  They didn't make up alternate storylines for how events needed to happen.  But they still changed so much that it was still jaw droppingly like "Whyyyyyy?!"  They sort of moved events around and rushed through everything.  They even portrayed Tyson as this funny-dumb, happy go lucky, loveable guy, instead of the slow, slightly challenged innocent that he was in the book.

I'd also been told that this movie combined books two and five from the series, so I wasn't surprised to see the whole Kronos section near the end.  I noticed they also worked in a lot of things from the first book that they'd left of out of the first movie, a bit more of the history of some things.  This person also said there were no plans for another movie.  It seemed to me that they set it up and left this one dangling with another movie in mind.  Keep in mind, I have not read all the books yet, so maybe the series does end with them wondering who the prophecy was really about, but in this movie they not only bumped up the age of the prophecy's fulfillment from 16 to 20, but the movie ended with Percy's voice-over wondering if the prophecy was really about him or if it was about the newly returned Thalia.

So anyway, if were to forget about the book and just think of this as a movie, I guess it was probably alright.  I still think it might have been rushing through events too much, and they went for a bit more humor this time, but I guess it keeps you interested all the way through that way.  There seemed to be a lot of 'look at our special effects skills' going on too.  Gotta admit though, that water horse thing was pretty awesome.  I really do wish they'd have just stuck with the book though.

No comments:

Post a Comment