Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Read - Percy Jackson / The Titan's Curse

The Titan's Curse
(Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book Three)
by Rick Riordan
2007
312 pages

'When Percy Jackson received and urgent distress call from his friend Grover, he immediately prepares for battle.  He knows he'll need his powerful demigod allies at his side; his trusty bronze sword, Riptide; and . . . a ride from his mom.

The demigods race to the rescue to find that Grover has made an important discovery: two powerful half-bloods, whose parentage is unknown.  But that's not all that awaits them.  The Titan lord Kronos has set up a devious trap, and the young heroes have just fallen prey.

Hilarious and action-packed, this third adventure in the series finds Percy faced with his most dangerous challenge yet -- the chilling prophecy of the Titan's curse.'

  -------------------------------

I've enjoyed this Percy Jackson series so far.  While I continued to enjoy it with this third book, the plot is starting to get a little 'busy,' and I hate when books are like that.  It almost seems like this one has shifted now into setting up things for later instead of telling a third story.  It was still a fun read, but it left so many things open ended.

Percy, Annabeth, and Thalia go to help Grover pick up two new half-bloods that he's found.  Problem is, they're being closely guarded for some reason.  In the chaos that erupts while trying to get the kids away from their school, some characters go missing, while new ones are introduced.  And that's just in the opening chapter!  lol

Back at Camp Half-Blood with these two new kids, things continue to be troublesome.  Percy is having weird dreams about his missing friend, and he finds out one of the The Hunters (who are staying at the camp for the moment) is also having weird dreams about her missing leader.  A quest party is formed to find the missing leader and see what's going on.  More adventures ensue, more monsters and characters are encountered, and some surprisingly touching deaths find it harder and harder for our good guys to keep carrying on.

Bad boy Luke is still out there but even he seems to be having some troubles these days.  Has he gotten in over his head in his mission to raise Kronos and destroy Olympus?  Is he finding he's just a pawn in a larger game?  Some characters still hold out hope that he can be saved, while others are glad to see him fall to his apparent death in the obligatory battle.

Not everyone makes it back from this quest, and those that do are left with more questions and problems than they had before.  Like I said, a lot of things are being set up for later.

I'm still enjoying the series though, and immediately dove into the next book upon finishing this one.


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I don't love these nearly as much as Harry Potter but I'm surprised how much I do enjoy them. Have you read his other books? I know my father-in-law sent one book from the other Olympus series over here, but I can't remember offhand if it's the first one. And then there is that pyramid series, or whatever it's known for.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. You plow through these books so fast! I wish I was a reader like you and Julie, but try as I might, I just can't and it sounds so stupid to say this. :(

    This book series sounds so compelling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a slow reader compared to other book lovers. I'm not impressed by those who brag about reading a book in a day, but I do wish I was a little quicker than what I am.

      It can be hard to get into reading. It does seem to take some brain training to be able to focus. I know when I'd quit reading for years in my 20s/30s, it took a while to get back into it. I just couldn't settle my brain enough to take in the words I was reading.

      ~Deb

      Delete