Thursday, May 14, 2015

Haul - Dessa's Homespun Scents / Tarts

I'd heard the name Dessa a couple times in talk among my waxy bloggy friends but it wasn't until my renewed interest in ordering from 'unknown' Etsy shops that I'd come across Dessa's Homespun Scents.  I watched one haul video on YouTube and was smitten.  I had to place a small order.  Out of all the orders I placed recently in my short burst of Return To Ordering excitement, this is the one I was most excited about.

Let's take a look!

Berry Coconut Zinger - 'Remember the afternoon snack of days gone by. Reminiscent of a cream filled berry zinger cake topped with shredded coconut. Those were the good ole days! A Homespun Original House Blend.'
I know exactly what snack she's talking about and I still love them today.  And this DOES smell just like it!  You get all the notes just about equally . . . the sweet cake, the soft fruit, and the coconut.  Delish!

 Butterscotch Brickle - 'A thick, rich, gooey butterscotch generously poured over a buttery cookie bottom and baked in a cast iron skillet.'
You know I love butterscotch scents, so I just had to have this one.  It does not disappoint.  I do get a very slight hint of bakery note but it's mainly a rich and creamy yumminess.  This might be too buttery for some folks.

 Homespun Goodness - 'Scrumptious sweet almond, orange chiffon cake and a splash of tart mandarin. A Homespun Original House Blend.'
This one sounds so delicious but it's actually my least favorite of the ones I ordered.  I think it might be that 'splash of tart mandarin' that's killing it for me.  There is something that just sort of chokes you if you inhale too much.  There is a strong almond note, and I do get the cake note, but then there is that extra something that makes you back off like someone just blew powder in your face.  It's not a horrible scent, just not what I was expecting.  I will still melt this.

 Hot Buttered Rum - 'A comforting scent on a cold winter night. Warm vanilla, hot buttery rum, and accents of spice.'
Yummy!  I've had some buttered rum scents in the past that have been complete fails but this one is nice.  I do get that sort of Lifesavers Butter Rum note that I always think of, and then the bit of extra spice steps it up a bit and turns it into a wonderful fall scent.  Well, at least in my mind.  lol

 Maple Cornbread Muffins - 'Old fashioned cornbread baked in a cast iron skillet, generously topped with warm maple butter. A Homespun Original House Blend.'
When I was opening the packaging that my order came in, hubby and I both commented 'Something smells good in there!'  I'm pretty sure this is the one we were smelling.  It is SOOOO good!!!  There is a good old fashioned muffin note, and a rich, sweet maple note topping it all off.  Can't wait to melt this one!

Southern Home - 'Peaches and apple slices baked in a buttery crust and drizzled with sweet caramel. A Homespun Original House Blend.'
I'm not a huge fan of peach scents so I was a little hesitant in deciding to order this one.  I thought the other notes in this scent might make the peach interesting.  And it really is quite yummy.  My nose picked up the peach right away, but hubby noticed the apple first.  It reminds me of fall again, probably because of the apples and the warmth of the scent.

 Salted Caramel - 'Buttery caramel blended with brown sugar, rich vanilla and sprinkled with a dash of sea salt. A B&BW type duplication.'
I'm always happy to see freebies in orders.  It's such a good way to be able to try scents you might not consider ordering on your own.  I was even more tickled to see that the TWO freebies are grubby tarts.  There is something about the look of grubby tarts that I just love.  Anyway, this one is Salted Caramel, which everyone is probably familiar with from the B&BW candle.  Another rich, gooey scent, with quite a strong salty note.

 Fresh Strawberries - 'Sweet, juicy, sun-kissed strawberries picked fresh from the vine then sprinkled with sugar to enhance the natural juices.'
The second of my freebies is this strawberry scent.  This isn't quite as sweet as a strawberry jam type scent would be.  I'm not sure how I feel about this.  It's okay but I'm finding I just don't get into the whole fresh strawberries scent craze that was happening recently.  I might pass this on to someone else.

 I had ordered the First Time Buyers Sampler, and was able to pick six scents for $10.00.  There are several other sampler options, from three up to 24, as well other options like 3-packs or brittle or grubby tarts.  The oval shaped tart cups are listed as 1.3 oz. but the one I checked was actually 1.7 oz. so that's a nice size.  Price for the tart cups comes out to $1.66 each in all of the options I checked.  The tarts came in clear cello bags tied with a bit of homespun.  Everything is neat and clean and well presented.

Shipping was fast and reasonable.  My order of six, plus the extras, was $5.00 shipping.  It arrived in a priority box inside a priority bubble mailer.  TAT was lightning fast!  I ordered late Saturday afternoon and my package arrived Wednesday.  I love that!  There was a business card included, as well as a handwritten note on the invoice.  All very nice touches.

I really hope these have strong enough scent for me because I'm already in love with this vendor and can easily see myself ordering more and more.  One more thing I like is there are quite a few 'Homespun original house blend' scents.  The scent list is not as huge as some of the big name vendors.  Those can be overwhelming anyway.  There are enough scents (over 100) to have a nice selection though.  I see a lot of fall scents, which of course excites this Fall Slut greatly.

I am very pleased with this first order from Dessa's Homespun Scents and like I said, if these melt strong, I will definitely be ordering again.

Have you tried Dessa's?  What did you think?

8 comments:

  1. Haven't tried Dessa's yet, but I've been looking and after seeing this post, I might have to. Plus the shipping doesn't seem ridiculous, one of the reasons I don't on Etsy very often - the shipping. I hate to say it because vendors can do nothing about it, but there are many times when I've abandoned an order when I've seen what shipping will cost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I abandoned two orders when I saw how high the shipping was with only a couple things in my cart. There are things vendors can do, to a point, but yeah, it's a bummer. It's making me see how handy the sampler options are now. You can also try messaging the vendor with what you're hoping to order and ask for a more accurate shipping quote. I think a lot of vendors are willing to do that simply because of the way they're otherwise limited on calculating shipping.

      (I had an Etsy shop.)

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. What a fun mix of scents you picked. I wanted to try an LPL sampler but $28 shipped seemed a little steep for a dozen cups. But my pricing mindset seems to be off anyway lately.

    Your Buttered Rum and Butter Brickle sound yummy. Looking forward to warmed reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does seem like a high price. Does LPL stay open, or is it an open/close shop?

      I haven't melted any yet but I'm so soooo hoping they are strong enough because I'm anxious to place another order already. I keep seeing her fall scents, and I'm drooling!

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. LPL has always refunded shipping differences when I have ordered. I love her scents. she is also very generous with samples. dessa is next on my list!

      Delete
    3. I've been able to try a few LPL tarts that my waxy friends have shared with me, but I haven't placed an order of my own yet. I'll have to consider doing that.

      I placed my second Dessa's order a few days ago. It might be here tomorrow. Excited!

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. I really like seeing new vendors' discovery posts, it makes a nice change from the usual vendor hauls (which are awesome) but the thrill of the discovery is so fun! I like the sizes I am seeing, they look so handy and no need to cut (pet peeve!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like cutting wax either, and I hate melting large amounts because it seems so wasteful. These are right in between, where I can cut them or use the whole thing without feeling like I wasted it. =)

      I like out of the norm vendor hauls too. You can only see/hear about the same scents from the same top vendors so long before it's old.

      ~Deb

      Delete