Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Melted - Dessa's Homespun Scents / Maple Cornbread Muffins

 Maple Cornbread Muffins - 'Old fashioned cornbread baked in a cast iron skillet, generously topped with warm maple butter. A Homespun Original House Blend.'

I have a developing concern in regards to these Dessa's tarts.  Three scents now have had a certain, sort of bitter note.  The first time, I thought it was just the saltiness of the Salted Caramel scent.  The second time, I thought it was from whatever the 'brickle' part of Butterscotch Brickle is because a similar scent from another vendor had been that way.  But now again today, I've noticed that certain little note in this Maple Cornbread Muffins scent.  On cold sniff, this one is absolutely delicious and I don't pick up that bitterness at all.  Early in the melt I hadn't noticed it either.  But a while into it, I was noticing it again.  I tried to think if there was some common 'ingredient' in each of the three scents, but no, I don't think so.  One was caramel, one was butterscotch, and this is maple.  It wasn't enough to ruin the scent or anything, but it's distracting.  I don't know what to think.

But anyway, this scent is still delicious.  It is a deep, rich breakfast type of scent because of that maple.  I do get a bit of a bakery note but it's not as distinctly muffin-ish as I thought it was in my haul post.  I can see how this one might be too rich and sweet for some people, and maybe that's what happened to me.  Maybe it was just a bit too much, and my nose and brain revolted.

I cut this 1.7 oz. tart in half and melted the pieces in two tea light warmers, in adjacent rooms, and had strong scent.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm... maybe it is a bakery note thing. I have been finding certain bakery scents to have a semi off putting note recently too. Maybe her bakery blends all have a common ingredient. Maybe melt your apple one? Just for note taking purposes :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will place another order after I get through some of my current stuff. I was so excited about this vendor that I don't want to give up just yet. Her fall scents all look so drool worthy! And if Sweet Fixations doesn't open back up in time for my fall staples, I don't know what this Fall Slut will do.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. Gotta agree with Julie, my first thought about the bitter note was a bakery/rich caramel/butterscotch theme. At least it didn't ruin it for you, this one sounds right up your alley!! Do you prefer melts cut up and placed into 2 warmers versus it all plopped into one, even with paraffin? CFTKR does well with one tart in each warmer as opposed to two in one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate cutting wax, but I hate wasting it more by melting a big ol' 3 oz. chunk in one shot so if it's something like that I will cut it. For these, they're right on the border of what I'll cut or melt whole. Sometimes I'll save the other half for later, sometimes I'll just divide up the pieces in multiple rooms. Kinda just depends what I'm doing that day.

      ~Deb

      Delete