Monday, June 8, 2015

Haul - Dessa's Homespun Scents / Tarts

This is my second order from Dessa's Homespun Scents and I'm just as excited about this one as I was with the first.  If you followed the individual Melted posts you know I had a couple small concerns.  In the end though, I found I was just too excited about this vendor and ended up going back for more.  The lure of her fall scents is what really made me do it.  I need to decide soon if I love this vendor as much as I think I do, so I have time to know whether I'll be diving in and stocking up on her fall and winter scents.

So let's take a look at what I got this time!

Berry Coconut Zinger - 'Remember the afternoon snack of days gone by. Reminiscent of a cream filled berry zinger cake topped with shredded coconut. Those were the good ole days! A Homespun Original House Blend.'

I had this in my first order and loved it so much I knew I wanted more.  I also wanted to try the mason jar tarts that are all the rage in her shop.  Seemed like a good choice to get the pack of mason jars in this scent then!  The scent is just like the Zingers snack cakes.  You get the cake note, the berry note, and the coconut note.  Each one is strong and distinct.  And how cute are the mason jars?!  They're bigger than I thought they'd be.  There are seven jar tarts in the bag.  The weights range from .9 - 1.1 oz., and the bag costs $6.50.

 Sweet Orange & Chili Pepper - 'Sweet & spicy fusion of juicy oranges and fiery chili pepper.'

I think I saw some discussion about this one on her Facebook page, and I was curious enough that I went ahead and ordered it.  Quite an interesting scent.  Definitely orange, but also definitely something else happening in there.  There is sort of a zest note.  There is something almost lemon-lime-ish about it too.

 Orange Kissed Cupcake - 'Fresh baked warm vanilla cupcake layered with orange cream filling and topped with sweet cream frosting. A Homespun Original House Blend.'

This one scares me.  I don't know why but there is a hint of the dreaded zucchini bread coming from this.  If I take it out of the little cup and smell the bottom I do get the orange note, but when I smell it from the top there is a hint of zucchini.  *begins to twitch*  I'll still melt it, and hope for the best.  I'm thinking I'm not fond of her orange scent though,  This one also has that sort of zest note to it.  I remember mentioning that same note with something in my first order too.

 Strawberry Lemonade - 'Tart lemons and sweet strawberries come together in this cool refreshing summer drink. A Homespun Original House Blend.'

It was hard to stay away from all the enticing fall scents, and try to pick some fun summery scents.  Lemonade screams summer, right?  This one is so sooo yummy.  It reminds me of Kool Aid.  It doesn't have that strong tart note that lemonade sometimes has, but just enough to tell you it's lemonade.  I would never pick out strawberry if I didn't already know it was in here.  The two just combine so nicely for a bright, sweet, happy summer scent.

 Blueberry Waffles - 'Light and fluffy buttery Belgium waffles topped with sticky sweet blueberry syrup. Delicious! A Homespun Original House Blend.'

I also wanted to try more of the bakery scents to see if that sort of bitter note keeps turning up, or if it just happened to be the scents I had the first time.  This one sounded like a yummy but safe scent.  And it is a good one, at least so far on cold sniff.  This reminds me very much of the pecan waffle scent that was the craze last year, but with a blueberry twist.  Mmm, it's deep and rich.

 Banana Nut Bread - 'Freshly baked and loaded with fresh bananas, brown sugar, nuts and a touch of ginger.'

This is not what I was expecting.  I'm not sure how I feel about it.  On cold sniff at least, there is very little banana coming through.  The other notes you'd expect from Banana Nut Bread are there.  That sort of heavy, moist doughy-ness.  I think there is a lot of ginger in here, which has me leery and wondering if that will be the mysterious bitter note from the first order.  This is not the usual sweeter, lighter, more banana-y type that I'm used to.

 Oatmeal Cookies - 'Toasted oats, brown sugar and cinnamon topped with sweet, creamy icing. A Homespun Original House Blend.'

This one is heavy on the spice and will be a great fall or winter scent.  It is a sweet cinnamon, along with creamy vanilla notes from the icing, and the cozy bakery notes from the cookie part.  This is wonderful on cold sniff.  I'll probably tuck it away in my fall stash.

I chose the six scent sampler option again for this order, and that costs $10.00.

 Mulled Hot Cider - 'Perfect for fall. Sit by the fire while you sip a steaming cup of warm cider. Macintosh apples and mulling spices, simmered to perfection.'

I received three freebies this time.  (Thank you, Dessa!)  Even though I'm not a big cider fan, I was so excited to see this one because it's her fall scents that are just screaming to me.  This is a typical spiced cider scent, perfect for fall.

 Gingerbread House - 'Fresh from the oven, sweet & spicy homemade fresh gingerbread blended with ground cinnamon, fresh vanilla bean, ginger & sticky molasses. A Homespun Original House Blend.'

Freebie #2 was equally exciting!  Then I grew leery again on first sniff because I'm pretty sure now it's the ginger I'm not wild about in these scents.  Hopefully there is enough of the other spicy, rich notes to keep me liking this.  It's definitely the more spicy, true gingerbread type instead of the sweeter iced cookies type.  This will get tucked away for winter.

 Cherry Limeaide - 'Refreshing concoction of tart lime juice and sweet juicy cherries, poured over crushed iced. The perfect afternoon beverage. A Homespun Original House Blend.'

And freebie #3 is this cute grubby heart.  Love me some grubbies!  I'll probably order more grubbies in my next order.  As for this one, it's not what I thought it would be.  It seems strong on the lime, and very candy-like, reminding me of those packets of candied sugar you dip the white stick in.  I thought it would be juicier and fruitier, like the earlier lemonade one.  Oh well, it'll still be fun for some hot summer day, and it's one more of her scents that I'm able to try.

I placed this order late Tuesday evening and received it the following Monday.  Now that's the kind of TAT that will keep me coming back!  Everything came nicely packaged and nestled into a regional A priority box, with plenty of packing peanuts.  There was a business card and a handwritten note on the invoice, all nice little touches that are appreciated.  I paid $7.00 shipping, which is think might be cheaper than what it costs to send the regional A box, so that's very cool.  If I remember correctly, she says in her Etsy shop policies that she refunds shipping over charges of a dollar or more, so again, reasonable shipping.  You might have also noticed that six of the ten scents I got are Homespun original house blends.  I like that.

I haven't even melted any of these yet but I continue to be impressed and intrigued by this vendor.  Hopefully she doesn't become too popular too fast because I don't want her to switch to the horrible open/close way of doing business with ungodly long TATs.  Don't do it, Dessa!

Have you tried Dessa's Homespun Scents yet?
Why the heck not?!

4 comments:

  1. I haven't!!!!!! But I will! Probably in the fall for some cozy autumn scents. I love the mason jars too! I hope she will still have them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do order! I can't wait to see what winter scents she might add. I already asked her if there would be a vanilla-mint type. =)

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. I haven't either! And like Julie I'm going to place an order as well. I didn't know she had grubbies ---I've been loving grubbies lately.
    And watermelon lemonade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is just something so rustic and weirdly comforting about grubbies. I love them. I'd probably even like zucchini more if it came in a grubby style. (Ok, probably not.)

      Can't wait to see what you order, whenever you order!

      ~Deb

      Delete