Thursday, June 4, 2015

Order of the Odor - Vol. 10

Welcome to the Order! We are so excited to bring you two new members to the Order: Michelle from Waxing About and Liz from Furianne! These ladies write awesome blog posts about smelly stuff and we are honored to have them join us. Please chime in on our question this month:

Have you had any wax ordering frustrations?

*CAUTION - Bitchy floodgates are about to open*
I haven't been shy in voicing my opinions on the way indie vendors do business these days. I have absolutely no patience for the ridiculous TATs, and I hate the way more and more of them work on an 'opening' schedule. First of all, the TATs. Four, six, eight months? Almost a year in some cases? This is absolutely ridiculous! Yet people just smile and except it and say "The wax is worth it." *shakes head and stares* No it's not. I'm sure there are other vendors out there with wax just as good. "But they're really busy," is another line I hear. Ok, I'll toss in here that customers are creating these bad business trends. First, they accept the long TATs. Second, it's their monstrously huge hoarder orders that create the backlog. And then the vendors close their sites "to catch up" on orders, only to open again six months later and get swamped all over again. Is anyone really getting anywhere this way?

Facebook is another highly annoying trend in indie vendor business. Not everyone uses Facebook. Not everyone wants to join a hundred groups just to get news on openings. It's not fair to the casual wax fan who would just like to be able to browse a site and order a few things. Maybe the vendors don't care because the groupie hoarder masses in the Facebook groups spend way more money anyway. And now I've been hearing that one very well known vendor supposedly polices her site and has all kinds of crazy ordering rules in place like if you ordered last month, you can't order this month...? Ha, no thanks then. I'll take my money elsewhere.

It's also super annoying when newer, smaller vendors use the open/close practice when they have no reason to. Do they just think they're part of the cool kids club? You'd probably get more consistent business if you just stayed open and let people try your things as they come across it.

What can be done? The handful of truly uber popular vendors should consider setting limits on how much can be ordered. It would no doubt piss some customers off, BUT if some limits were put in place and the site were allowed to stay open, eventually the need for such huge orders would subside and the chaos would ease up. It would be crazy in the beginning, but it would eventually work. But like I said, maybe the vendors just like that massive dollar haul from the limited openings and don't want to risk that trickling down into a lower amount of more steady income.

Buyers should consider how much they are ordering. Do you really need to buy $500 worth of WAX? Realistically, how fast will you go through that?  Plus you're ordering $500 from other vendors too, not just favored openings?  Do you really need to buy tons and then just turn around and destash it anyway? Why do you feel you have to buy a ton to help the people who can't place orders, when maybe if you limited your own order those other people would have a chance to get their own too?

I could go on and on about the current state of indie vendor affairs, but I know I am in the minority. I do know a bit about indie vendor things. I was a soap maker and had an Etsy shop for two years. If things got busy and more orders were coming in, I worked harder and faster. I didn't extend my TAT or close my shop. If it meant staying up later at night or missing that movie on TV I'd wanted to watch, well that was a choice I'd made when I decided to go into business.

I'm ordering less wax these days because it's harder and harder to find one that stays open and ships quickly.  I miss those days when you could just go to any vendor's site and order whatever you wanted, whenever you wanted, and have it in a week or so.  Oh oh oh!  Forgot to mention that it also irks me when vendors don't offer single tart options.  I don't always want to commit to a large bag of something if I'm not familiar with the scent or the vendor is new to me.  A RTS (ready to ship) selection of single tarts will almost always get my business!

Well crap.  I haven't even mentioned high shipping prices.......
_____________________________________________________

Deb hauled from a newer wax vendor and is quite impressed with their TAT, scents, throw and pricing. What new vendor has snared Deb's hard to capture attention? Come and find out, you will want to order too!

There is a vendor that Sunnee tries to never miss a sale from. Check out her most recent post showcasing just such a sale haul. Her gorgeous photos and blend picks are sure to create a lemming. 

Jamie Lauren Cupcakery and Confection in Wax (JLCCW), a old popular vendor who closed and is now slated to re-open (for the second time- fingers crossed!) has a reputation for cute and strong throwing wax creations. Liz was one of the lucky old crew that hauled a nice order before JLCCW closed and is reviewing some. Check out how JLCCW wax is faring years later.

Mystery tarts, custom brittle and scent shots that have lightening fast TAT are all great things but when the brittle is Pink Peppermint you KNOW that is the cherry on top. And you probably know who hauled it.... Lauren! Haul posts are rare gems from her, so make sure not to miss this one!

Lasting Scent Candles announced they are closing, but will still be selling off their stock on their website with announcements on Facebook, until they run out. Julie shares her recent LSC haul with wishes we can all grab some last stragglers before they are gone forever.

Plum Wine Sandalwood, Jasmine Vanilla Green Tea Peach, and M'Lady's Boudoir fragrances... can you guess what vendor these unusual and innovative blends hails from? Michelle shares her recent haul that includes these cool scents, great photos and ordering information.  


23 comments:

  1. I miss those days of always-open websites too. Mostly I don't begrudge vendors choosing the model they want to use because it may depend on their personal situations. I like it when the vendors demonstrate that they are trying to change the situation, at least, I sense they are also frustrated and trying to think of their customers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not so lenient with the 'depends on the personal situation' idea. Sorry, but if you're choosing to start a business.....and even a small, home business IS a business.....then you should be ready and able to commit to it. If you can only do it one weekend every 4, 5, 6 months, well then maybe you should only be 'selling' to family, friends, coworkers....or maybe local craft fairs.

      I've been ordering indie wax probably seven years now. Maybe it's so hard for me to accept the ways things are done now because I *KNOW* it doesn't have to be that way. I remember when sites were always open and you got your things in days, not months.

      Do you find it harder, easier, or about the same to find vendors who are willing to ship internationally?

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. Yes, I think how long you have been in the game give each person's expectations about operations, I am probably more lenient because I stopped buying for a quite a few years before coming back in 2014 and having to learn all the new rules. About international shipping, I do find there is significantly lesser vendors offering international shipping as compared to before. But I found a way around it, I use a service Comgateway which gives me a US address and forwards my packages to me later. I usually ship 3 or more packages to save on shipping costs. I calculated before and the shipping is comparable to individual packages. The only company that eludes me now is VCS because her cart doesn't accept an international credit card.

      Delete
    3. Have you come across any wax vendors outside the US? I remember a UK girl who used to read my blog had said more than once that she wished she could find some UK vendors but that it apparently just wasn't as a popular thing there.

      ~Deb

      Delete
    4. I haven't heard about the UK but I know there are vendors in Australia. There is a BBW/Yankee-like chain called Dusk and I bought from a small vendor called Smelly Buttons at a local Brisbane market. I can only assume there are more!

      Delete
    5. I just looked at the Dusk site. Some interesting scents there! Vanilla & Cucumber? Orange & Peppermint? Always fun to see what other parts of the world are into. =)

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. Trust me, you aren't in the minority Deb! On larger, more generic forums that are just about scented things, people constantly bash a lot of these vendors I know you're talking about. It's just part of the mob mentality. On that vendor's own FB page you wouldn't dare say anything remotely bad or get flamed incessantly by the extreme fans.
    But I agree with you on every point. I just don't order from vendors if their openings don't fit when I want to order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't take part in any of the wax or vendor groups. I hear about the drama from time to time and I'm glad I'm not having to see it. I'm also glad that I can be honest and open in my opinions here on my blog, because my blog seems to fly under the radar. If any of those Cool Kids *snort* are reading and then slinking back to their Cool Kids groups to talk about me, I'll never know unless someone tells me.

      I'm glad we did this group rant though. I'm relieved to see how many shared frustrations we all have.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. Sometimes I wonder if the limited opening models create a mental state that causes MORE people to order. Last opening, I placed a HUGE order with TBG. Now, they are open and are staying open, and I have been in no rush to place another. Had they only been open a couple of days, I probably would have ordered some of the new scents.

    I don't disagree with you, I find some of these really frustrating. I just wonder if a couple of these vendors actually sell more because they aren't always open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are spot on with TBG. I LOVE that she is staying open for a few months right now. I want to order, but I know I can wait and don't have to rush. So nice.

      Delete
    2. I'm sure it does create more want and more business. Like anything, if you're told you can't have it, you want it more. And like I mentioned, maybe some vendors love that huge lump of money and knowing just what they have, than to wonder if the slow and steady trickle of money will continue to tide them over.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  4. I love when people have the same thoughts as me. Stay open is one of mine.. yes it will be busy at first, but the demand will die down and even out. I love that you shared this post, but in a way it almost frustrates me because it is so obvious what some of the issues are, and the solutions can be so simple. and I love the 'do you really need $500 of WAX' so true, I consider this a hobby and love it, but it does put it into perspective when stated like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean.....I was glad to find so many have the same frustrations, but yes, that fact that so many DO share the same frustrations should be a clue to vendors.

      Hehe, you guys are making me feel bad about that $500 line. I suppose it just amazes me that people even have that kind of money to spend so freely. I certainly do not! LOL

      ~Deb

      Delete
  5. I laughed at the end! High shipping prices! Most are great in that they will refund shipping but lately I have seen/bought and it was just flat out ridiculous. Crazy high. That makes me not go back (or even try) to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have passed vendors by simply because of high shipping. Maybe for people who always place large orders, the high flat rate shipping works in their favor. I am not one of those people though. I order small amounts, *especially* if it's a new-to-me vendor or scent.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  6. If there is one thing you can be sure, especially after this post, is that you are not alone in your frustrations. It's refreshing to know that many share the same reasonable expectations.
    I'm completely guilty of very large orders, especially with RG and SMT. I don't think I've quite broken the $500 barrier for one order but mine have definitely been large enough to upset many. My only defense is that (one) I am not a serial destasher and (two) because their wax is good for over a year, I can relax in letting it hoarding it a little. Most importantly tough, I buy as if I'm not going to be able to purchase during the next opening.
    I agree with Liz on the Glitterati model. Getting my name on a list and paying when my order is in production (even though it's months and months later) seems to be the most agreeable. Although it's still a major fight to get on the list to begin with :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Glitterati list seemed like a good idea to me at first, but then after thinking about it more, it's really no different that an ungodly TAT. So you haven't actually placed your order or paid anything yet......you're still waiting six months for the chance to order.

      And I can't remember who said it or on which blog I saw it, but I was glad to see someone specifically agree that no wax is that much better than the next to justify such long TATs.

      You're right though....I'm glad we did this, and 'glad' to see so many shared frustrations.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  7. AMEEN I no longer enjoy the wax stalking, group pages etc. I did find it fun in the beginning but the longer I'm in the wax game. The shorter my tolerance for the ridiculousness. Here's my go to vendors. Can-Do, Sugar & Spice, Crosscreek Country Candles and BH&G.

    Love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. =)

      I always forget about Can-Do for some reason. And what about Random Wax of Kindness? I never hear much about them. Ahhhh, BH&G....how I love thee!

      I have my second order from Dessa's on the way. Doh!

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. I think Sassy Girl Aroma is one of my favorites right now. You can't do customs, but she restocks often and doesn't sell out in 5 minutes....

      Delete
    3. I've never ordered from Sassy Girl. Wasn't there a Grumpy Girl that went out of business? Whenever someone mentions Sassy Girl I'm always like 'Wait, I thought they closed.' Oops.

      I'm going to open a shopped called Smelly Wax. lol
      (not really)

      ~Deb

      Delete
  8. You really are right about not accepting long TATs. It's so hard to say no sometimes. It has gotten easier to not buy huge orders, though. There are always a host of great vendors who are (more often than not) opened! You're so right about stalking pages and Facebook groups. Your "find a random etsy vendor" is a cool way to find new vendors, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do realize that there are times when TATs need to increase, and things don't always go as they should. I'm not THAT hyper-critical. But when it seems that nothing is being done about problems and people just accept things, that's what makes me so cranky.

      There are a lot of duds in the 'find a random Etsy vendor' game, but it's still fun to find and try these little shops. A lot of popular shops started on Etsy, so you never know.....you might be helping the next big thing!

      ~Deb

      Delete