Saturday, July 18, 2015

Haul - Dessa's Homespun Scents / Tarts

Yes, it's ANOTHER Dessa's haul.  This time I went through her current list and ordered Christmas scents.  There are a lot fewer to choose from in that category than in the fall scents, but that's okay because my preferences for Christmas/winter are more limited anyway.  And again, I went ahead and ordered early so I'd have them in plenty of time to decide if I want to order more of any of them.  I will not start melting these until the day after Thanksgiving.

Country Christmas - 'An old fashioned country Christmas - Cozy up to the spicy fragrance of clove, apple, cinnamon & oranges - surround yourself in nostalgia.'
This one could go either way, fall or Christmas.  I think the bit of orange in there does lean it a bit more towards Christmas for me.  This is softly spiced and rather juicy, but warm.  Neither the apple or the orange stands up and presents itself more than the other, but combine to make a spiced drink type of scent.
 Mulberry Spice - 'A wintery classic. Fruity mulberry and a hint of woodsy spices. A Homespun Original House Blend.'
I like this scent but it's not really Christmas-y to me.  This could be an everyday scent, in my opinion.  It's a sweet, dark berry type scent, almost like a jam, with just the slightest hint of spice in the background.
 Christmas Tree - 'Close your eyes and you are in the middle of a Christmas tree farm. The nostalgic scent of a fresh cut pine trees.'
I'm not a big pine scent fan, but you have to have at least one pine scent for the Christmas season.  This is actually more of an outdoorsy type pine scent, than the type that says 'Christmas tree!' to me.  Still, a nice enough scent for the season.
 Aspen Winter - 'This festive blend captures the essence of winter. Fresh fallen snow, shimmering pine, crisp bay leaf, warm winter woods & cinnamon. A B&BW “Winter” type duplication.'
I'm not familiar with the B&BW scent so I can't say how true this is to it.  It's really nice though!  This one actually works more for the piney Christmas tree type scent I was looking for.  There is some nice spice, and some crispness in this.  Out of this small order, this might be the best Christmas mood inducing one.  Yay!
***UPDATE*** It was just announced that this scent will now be called Dashing Through The Snow.
Smoky Mountain Berries – 'Cranberry juice, bayberry, fir needles, & vanilla evoke the joy of the holidays .'
This is another one that could be good for late fall, like Thanksgiving, or Christmas.  It has to be the cranberry.  This is another dark berry, juicy type with just a bit of tartness, with a hint of implied spice (which I think is just the bayberry?) and just enough of the fir note to remind you it's for the holidays.

Peppermint Bark – 'A layer of bold dark chocolate layered with smooth white chocolate, covered in crushed peppermint candy canes.'
I'm not a fan of chocolate scents in home fragrance but I went ahead and ordered this anyway.  There is a healthy dose of peppermint in this, which is so yummy, but the chocolate notes are quite strong.  There is a sort of creaminess blending the notes together, perhaps from the white chocolate.  I'll still melt this, even with the strong chocolate notes, and hope the peppermint can keep it more of holiday scent.
Peppermint Mocha Latte – 'Grab a steaming mug of aromatic rich robust coffee infused with sweet peppermint and just a hint of mocha. It is like winter in a cup! A Homespun Original House Blend .'
I'm only getting a coffee scent right now.  You can tell there is more to it because it's smooth and almost creamy, but on cold sniff I don't pick up any distinct mint or chocolate.  Hubby *loves* this one though, says it's the best coffee scent I've ever had.  I'm curious to see how it is melted, if the mint will come through more.

Cinnamon & Spice - 'Crushed cinnamon sticks and a hint of fresh clove creates nostalgic appeal. Reminiscent of cinnamon scented pine cones that fill the stores during the holiday season.'
This is another that could go either way, fall or Christmas.  It does not quite make me think of craft stores during the holidays.  I think there needs to be something more for that type of scent.  This is a 'dry' cinnamon scent.  It's on the sweeter side, not the more harsh bakery cinnamon type.  A nice scent but I'm not sure if I like it more for early fall when things are just getting started, or later fall when we're transitioning into Christmas mode.

Gingerbread & Caramel Apples – 'Our sweet & spicy Gingerbread House is paired with freshly picked crisp apples dipped in a thick, buttery gooey caramel. Delicious! A Homespun Original House Blend.'
I knew there was a risk of this being a fall scent in my Christmas order, because of the caramel apples but I got it anyway because I was curious to see if the gingerbread would be stronger.  You can never have too many fall scents anyway, and yeah, this is definitely more fall than Christmas.  The gingerbread isn't distinct but is doing just enough to make this a sort of sophisticated caramel apple scent.  And it's a yummy one!  Smooth and creamy caramel that is slightly stronger than the juicy apples, with just a touch of darkness and spice.  Excited about this one!

I used the 9-pack sampler option for this order.  It cost $15.00, plus $6.50 shipping.  There are still a few other scents that might qualify as Christmas/winter, but these were the most obvious ones to me.  I do already have a couple others from previous orders.

With this small order, I received two freebies.
Thank you, Dessa!
Banana Nut Bread - 'Freshly baked and loaded with fresh bananas, brown sugar, nuts and a touch of ginger.'
 This is one of the extras I received.  I've had this one before and have been wanting to try it again since the first one was a dud.  I'm so glad to have another to try.  It's heavy on the nut note on cold sniff, with hints of banana bringing up the rear.

Campfire Marshmallow – 'Smooth, creamy, gooey goodness with hints of smokiness. Sweet marshmallow toasted over an evening campfire. This will make your fingers sticky. A Homespun Original House Blend.'
 This is the other extra I received.  When I'd made my big fall scents order, I'd considered getting this one but then passed because I'm not a fan of campfire type scents.  The smokey note just kinda kills those types of scents for me.  Also, I've found marshmallow can be an iffy scent, either super creamy and delicious, or sort of plastic-y blah and barely there.  This is an amazing marshmallow, deep and rich and creamy.  My nose does detect the smokey hint of the campfire note and wants to curl and turn away but I will go ahead and try this and hope the marshmallow wins out.

Shipping, as always so far, was pleasantly quick.  I ordered on Thursday morning and received my package the following Wednesday.  That's one of the things I love about Dessa's Homespun Scents, not only is her shop open all the time but most of her products are ready to ship and they get to you fast.  I like that I can place an order now and see what seasonal scents I like and know that I'll still have time later on to go grab more if I find favorites.  Hopefully she can continue to keep things flowing that way as her popularity increases.  I know she's already checking into getting a regular website instead of sticking with Etsy.

Dessa will be adding several new fall/winter scents in the coming weeks and will be announcing some of those beginning this weekend.  I'm super excited to see what new ones there will be.  And I'm so glad I'll be able to easily get another order in if there are any that really catch my eye!

Have you tried Dessa's . . . YET?
I know I keep asking, but not many of you are answering.  Oh heck, what am I saying?  I should be glad if Dessa's is my happy little secret.  Hehe!

2 comments:

  1. Lol!!! No... Not YET!!! But campfire marshmallow and smokey mountain berries are on my Dessa's scent list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you see the list of new ones she'll be adding?! Oh man, I need to place another order. I'll wait until I see what those other two she hinted at are going to be. I can't wait to start melting the fall ones. It's really not all that far away now!

      ~Deb

      Delete