Friday, July 31, 2015

Natters - Decluttering Sentimental Things

Question for you all.
How do you sort through and declutter things that have sentimental value to you?  

As I get older, it's on my mind more to declutter and simplify.  Are all those projects I haven't gotten to yet really important any more?  Are all those things I've hung onto all these years ever going to have a use or even see the light of day outside their boxes in the attic?  When I'm dead and gone, what kind of mess am I leaving others to sort through and clean up?

The main thing on my mind right now is old cards and letters.  I've saved them all for years and years, over 25 years worth at this point.  Recently I'd decided to just get rid of them, maybe only keep a few of the most special ones.  After the disaster of deleting old posts from this blog though, I'm kinda having second thoughts.  Why do I keep them?  I don't ever get them out and look back through them.  Why can't I get rid of them?  Because maybe when I'm older and retired and have more time on my hands, maybe I *will* look back through them then.  Why not just keep saving them and if I never do look through them and they get thrown out after I die, oh well?

What should I do???

(And let's not even get started on what to do with the boys' baby things and school things . . . )

5 comments:

  1. Hard question. I try to keep my couple favorites from anything I am saving: cards, girls' art work, baby clothes. We just don't have storage space so we have to de clutter often. I still have all the letters Adam and I swapped in college but that is it. I threw out my school year books in a fit of "who would want these?!" But I regret it. My kids won't see me as a middle schooler or high schooler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably will cut it all down to a couple absolute favorites. I'm entertaining thoughts of just getting rid of ALL of it but then I think about what deleting blog posts did to me........

      Sometimes I wish I could be one of those people who just go happily carefree through life with no such attachments.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. Such a hard question! I'm much more brutal about saving things these days, after moving into a one bedroom apartment and having to get rid of tons of my parents' stuff after my dad passed away and my mom moved to Florida with just a few items. Storage units are insanely expensive :(

    A bunch of people I know have been reading that popular book, "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up," and while I haven't read it myself, the author tells you to ask yourself, "does it spark joy?" That concept has been really helpful in giving me the push I need to get rid of things I was keeping only for sentimental reasons, or out of guilt (gifts I didn't really want, my parents' clutter, etc.)

    With some sentimental things, I've taken photos and then written down the story behind them, like my dad's award plaques. With cards and letters, I keep only the most meaningful ones, and examples of family members' handwriting.

    Recently my aunt found 3 big boxes of stuff my great grandmother had saved. She kept EVERY card and letter she got! We managed to weed these down to a much more manageable pile of the most heartwarming items, stuff that will let my baby nephew know a little more about the family that came before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that you mention keeps things with examples of handwriting. I'm hanging on to a couple very random things just because they have my dad's handwriting on them. I'd wondered if I was being weird. LOL

      I would LOVE to have boxes of stuff from great grandma to go through! I do have a lot of my grandma's things and love them all. It's so neat that someone saved that stuff you have. Like I said, I figure when I die, my stuff will be tossed because no one in the family is into saving sentimental stuff.

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. Then again, if I don't save anything, there will nothing for future generations to stumble across. Hmm.

      ~Deb

      Delete