Saturday, July 25, 2015

(REPOST) April 12, 2015 Natters - Contemplating A Planner

Planners are all the rage these days.  I haven't jumped onto the band wagon because I feel my life is not busy enough to need a planner.  I have a freebie calendar from the bank each year that hangs on the wall next to my desk and I write everything down on.  I guess, really, I've doing my own form of planner for 30 years or more.  I save the calendar each year, and it's fun to look back every now and then and see what I was doing a year ago or five years ago or whatever.
I could just dive in and get a planner and do all the same things I'm already doing on my freebie calendar, but why?  Because of all those freakin' cute stickers and washi tapes and colored pens and do-dads that are so popular now.  I find myself buying them even though I have no clue what to use them for.  I keep thinking I'll make notecards with them, but who will I send those to?  But I keep buying them.
As I watch more haul videos lately, and more planner videos, it almost seems to me that some people only keep planners as a way to justify buying all the stickers and tapes.  I've seen people write down things that, really, aren't things that need a planner to be remembered or accomplished.  I've heard people talk about the multiple planners they "need" to use for different aspects of their lives.  Again, really?  I would think a personal planner that includes all things would be more handy than having five different ones for five different things.  So for those people, yeah, it really does seem to me that 'I need a planner' is really just 'I need a reason to use all these fun things I buy.'
And have you seen the cost of some of these planners?!  People pay like seventy, eighty, a hundred bucks for the big name planners!  Whaaaat?  I can't do that.  But the other day when Casey and I were at Target, for whatever reason, I paused to see what they had for planners.  You know, the affordable, chintzy alternatives to those fancy high-end ones.  I was nattering on to Casey about the whole planner thing, and suddenly found myself wanting one.
I came across this one.  It's a mere $20 at Target.  The cover is a durable canvas type material.
That cover slips onto the actual planner part like a book cover.  Over on the left, on the edge of the cover, it is zippered, and opens to a large pocket.  There is also a smaller pocket flap right here on the inside part.  I'm assuming Mead puts out a new calendar part each year and you just reuse this cover.  That's cool.  I could do that.
And then the actual planner part is the typical monthly calender, weekly section, notes section, and I think there was a section for contacts, addresses, etc.  Again, all just typical and blank at this point.
The more I looked at it, the more I wanted it.  Even though we're already well into 2015, if it works like I'm thinking where I'd just reuse the cover and buy a replacement calendar for 2016, I'm okay with that.  I know I wouldn't be anywhere near as insane as some of the planner addicts in how much the decorate the pages and add every imaginable gadget, but I was thinking it would be fun to have a little more room to scribble down notes and things like I currently do on my freebie wall calender, and to be able to pretty things up with stickers and tapes and colored pens.
Then I talked myself out of it and put it back.  I told Casey that Mother's Day was coming and if someone happened to get it for me, fine.  And if not, fine.
Several days after that, while doing my regular shopping at Walmart, I stopped to look at their planners.  They had even less to choose from, and most of them were the smaller sized ones, but I did find one I would have been happy with.  It was much cheaper and much more simple, only about $8.00.  I didn't think to sneak pics of it.  Then I noticed regular journals on the other side of the aisle and went to have a look at those.  For some reason, I have never been able to keep a handwritten journal.  I can natter endlessly in an online type journal, and I can scribble my wall calendar full of notes, but I can't get into the groove of keeping an actual written journal.
Well I found one there at Walmart that had me thinking I might be able to get something going.  It looked like a regular hardcover book, about 8.5x11inch size.  It had lined paper and the little ribbon page marker.  And I just loved it.  I don't remember how much is was, like maybe $10-15 . . . ?  Then it occurred to me that I could use the stickers and tapes and colored pens in there!  But I put that one back to and decided I'd let my menfolk know about these Mother's Day gift ideas.  I'm kinda wanting both right now, but either or would be fine.  And if I don't get either, I'm trying to tell myself I won't go buy them myself.  lol
Are you a planner user?  Or a journal user?
Do you get into all the decorations and do-dads?
Am I just being difficult with myself and should go buy the dang things?
Help a girl out here, people!

3 comments:

  1. where did you get your refills for this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!

      I was just showing the one I was thinking about getting. I never ended up buying this, so I don't know about refills.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. I have this exact one and went to target to get the refill but could not find it.

    ReplyDelete