Tuesday, July 28, 2015

(REPOST) June 8, 2015 - Happy 25th Anniversary

Wedding day - 1990
2014
Wow.  I cringe when I look at these pictures.  LOL!  But yep, today is our 25th wedding anniversary.  We didn't do anything special.  That's a bummer, but I'm okay with it too.  Over the years we'd tossed around ideas of what to do for this milestone.  Early on we'd toyed with the idea of a cruise or going back to Germany or something.  In more recent years the ideas were more like an extra weekend in Minneapolis, or maybe Door County, which is the hot spot for Wisconsinite getaways.  Earlier this year I'd debated whether we just wanted to host a big party here at the house, out in the yard like we'd done for the boys' graduations.  About a month or so ago I finally just decided nah, I didn't want that hassle.  The thing that bummed me out most about it is, like I think I've mentioned in a recent nattters post, it seems like people don't get together and celebrate things like they used to.  My mom actually seemed more disappointed than me, and I suppose a big part of it is just that.  She even said it too, about how people don't celebrate things like in the old days.  I'm kinda kicking myself now that the day is here and it's just like any other day.
We did go out for breakfast yesterday at the little local place we've been going to lately.  Casey paid for that treat.  We got a card from my mom, with a bit of money in it.  Other than that, it's just another Monday.  Hubby and I didn't even get anything for each other.

Moving on . . .

So we finally have a Triple Crown winner.  Horse racing used to be my obsession when I was a kid and young adult.  I had big dreams of working on a horse farm.  Ha, yeah, that didn't go anywhere.  And after I got married and had kids, my interest in the sport got pushed farther and farther away.  Now it's sort of to the point where I don't like to watch because I kinda feel what those animal activists scream about, that it's abuse to make these beautiful creatures race.  I'm not boycotting it or anything like that.  I've just become too sensitive to the possibilities of broken legs and horrible racing accidents.  So no, I was not watching this year even though I knew there was a chance for a Triple Crown winner.  I finally got a chance to watch a replay of the end of the race and I'm still a sucker for the beauty of those magnificent creatures, and the grand traditions of the Triple Crown.  I cried watching American Pharoah extend his lead, listening to that announcer screaming.  For a moment or two that old love was still there.

Game of Thrones last night.  WTF?!?!  I won't go into details but what Stannis did almost made me walk out of the room and give up on the show for good.  Like we'd just been talking about in comments last week, the cruelty and violence for shock value has gone over the top.  But then the dragon scene had me bawling for different reasons and I will at least finish watching this season since next week is the finale.  I'd love to have someone to discuss the show with!

I've been thinking for a while now about getting a P.O. box and listing it in my sidebar contact info.  It might sound rather arrogant and greedy, like 'I want this so people can send me stuff,' but I think it could be handy.  There have been times when people have asked to send me things.  There have been times I've asked to send others things.  It is an awkward situation, to ask someone's address if you're not already close to them.  It could be fun to get into doing swaps and pocket letters, and definitely fun to do card exchanges around the holidays.  So anyway, I found out it's $48/year to rent a small P.O. box at my local post office.  That's not really a lot for a year, but it's more than I thought it would be.  I'm going to think about it a bit more.  What do you think?  Should I do it?

I'm also thinking . . . again . . . for the millionth time . . . about discontinuing my individual Melted posts.  People say they're very helpful as a reference tool, and that's cool, but they are probably the lowest page views out of things I post.  They can be a monotonous chore to write too.  I'm thinking about putting more effort into the cold sniff impressions in haul posts, and maybe doing individual posts on ones that really stand out.  This also lets me just melt and enjoy, and not have to keep track of just what the scent was like and how strong it was and all that.  Sooooo, you might not see any more Melted posts.

Other than that, nothing much happening today.
How was your Monday?

No comments:

Post a Comment