Monday, July 20, 2015

Watched - Ex Machina

Ex Machina
2015
Rated R
108 minutes

'A young programmer is selected to participate in a ground-breaking experiment in artificial intelligence by evaluating the human qualities of a breath-taking female A.I.'

This is not usually the type of movie I'm drawn to but from the moment I first saw the previews earlier this year, I knew I wanted to see it.  I noticed it was now available on DVD the other day, and hubby noticed it was on pay-per-view, so we watched it yesterday.  The previews made the movie seem a bit creepier than it was, but it didn't matter.  I was glued to this from the first second to the last.

This is definitely a 'thinker' movie.  If you're looking for mindless entertainment with guns and action and fast cars, this is not for you.  This is one where the conversations are more important than any action.

Caleb has been selected to spend a week at super uber mega genius Nathan's estate to help an experiment.  The estate is more like a compound, super high tech, high security, futuristic, far removed from society.  Caleb has to sign disclosure documents, and has a key card to get him into the areas of the building that he's allowed access to.  Nathan has been working on A.I. in his lonely lab, and is at a point where he needs some help in the testing phase.

 
Ava is the latest version of Nathan's work.  She is beautiful, flawless, even without a 'real' body.  The experiment will be Caleb interacting with Ava to see how much she passes for human, like in her comprehension and 'thoughts.'  As the sessions progress, Caleb eventually finds out HE is part of the test, just as much as Ava herself.  He's not only meant to judge her capabilities, but she is meant to use him so Nathan can judge her processes like problem solving.  Tensions build once Caleb finds this out.  He keeps asking Nathan if Ava was programmed to like him, to flirt with him.  Nathan is all like 'Blah blah, what would I have to gain by that?  But wait, are you falling for her?  Hehe . . . '

Ava begins to ask Caleb questions about what will happen to her if she fails the tests.  She clearly understands she will be 'killed' (reformatted) if Nathan feels something about her could be better.  Caleb begins to worry about this too.  They form a plan to make sure that doesn't happen.

I will admit, I did not see that end coming.  There were some twists that kept me guessing and fretting, but that actual end caught me off guard.  It all seems obvious to me now that I've had a day to go back and think about conversations earlier in the movie.  And it did leave a million questions to be answered, but I think I'm okay with what happened.

I'm so glad I took the time to watch this movie.  Have you seen it??

4 comments:

  1. Dying to watch this now! Going to see if hubby will tonight with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to see it. Tell him there are naked boobs in it for him. =P

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. This has been one of the best movies of the year, in my opinion. What a great movie!! I am so glad you were glued to it!

    ReplyDelete