Monday, August 3, 2015

Haul - Dessa's Homespun Scents / New Scents

Yes, yes, yes, I've ordered from Dessa's AGAIN.  I had to though!  She added several new fall and winter scents, so of course I had to get them!

So let's just get to it.

Pumpkin-mallow Bake – 'We have blended our Pumpkin Butter Bake with our sweet marshmallow and baked to perfection. A Homespun Original House Blend.'
 
I freaked when I first sniffed this because I would almost swear this is the same as my beloved Pumpkin Souffle from Sweet Fixations.  Then I saw in the scent description that it's an original blend.  I don't have any SF - Pumpkin Souffle here to do a comparison, but whether it's close or not doesn't matter I guess, because this is awesome anyway.  It's a warm and creamy bakery pumpkin scent, with very little, if any spice.  Oh so happy to have this!
 
Spiced Orange Pomander – 'Mandarin oranges are decorated with clove buds to fill the air with the old fashioned traditional scents of Christmas. A Homespun Original House Blend .'

I wasn't sure if I wanted to try this because I've found there is a sort of zest note to her orange/mandarin scents that I'm not fond of.  I decided to give this a shot anyway though.  It's very heavy on the clove right now, on cold sniff.  The bright, juicy orange is deep in there, trying to come out, but for now it's mainly clove and I don't really like it.  On cold sniff, it does not remind me of Christmas in any way.  Bummer.

October - 'The quintessential scents that we all love with the arrival of October. This comforting blend is bursting with fresh apple cider infused with a gentle background of sweet caramel, pumpkin pie, crushed cinnamon and a dash of spicy cloves. A Homespun Original House Blend.'
 
I do like this one!  I think I'm really warming up to apple-pumpkin blends this year.  You get the sweet apple cider notes right away, quickly followed by the warm and creamy notes of pumpkin.  I think the caramel sort of ties them together without being to obvious.  There is a bit of spice, but not harsh enough to send spice haters running.  This will be lovely around Thanksgiving, which is funny considering it's called October.

Cranberries & Cornbread – 'We have blended our traditional tart cranberries with our old fashioned cornbread and baked them together in a cast iron skillet. Delicious. A Homespun Original House Blend.'
 
I was so curious about this one, but also afraid because 'bread' notes in indie vendor scents can often contain the dreaded zucchini bread.  I squinted my eyes and took a very hesitant sniff when this arrived....LOL
I think we're okay!  I smell cornbread, and I smell cranberries, and nothing has me throwing it and running away.  On cold sniff, this is another that reminds me of Thanksgiving day, of all the different foods being prepared.  There is the warm bakery notes of the bread, and the brighter, tart notes of the cranberries.  It's more of a warm bakery scent than a juicy fruity scent.  When I take this out of the cup and smell the bottom, there is quite a spice kick.  I don't get that at all from sniffing the top.  Spice haters might want to beware.
 
Harvest Moon – 'Nutmeg and cinnamon sticks layered over a rich base of applewood and cedar creates this wonderful autumn night under a harvest moon. A B&BW “Autumn Night" type duplication .'
 
I'm not really liking this one.  I'm not familiar with the Bath & Body Works original so I wasn't sure what to expect.  I'm getting a very strong wood resin type note from this, along with something that reminds me of wet green-wood, like if you break apart small off-shoot branches.  There is also something 'dry,' sort of choking.  Maybe that's from the spices?  I don't know, but I'm passing this on to someone else.

Pumpkin Cider Lane – 'Spicy Pumpkin Pie infused with sweet Caramel Cider Lane creates a warm comforting fall treat. A Homespun Original House Blend.'
 
This one is a bit weird right now on cold sniff.  It's heavy on the 'dry' notes from the pumpkin spice.  I do get a bit of some creamier something trying to come out, like maybe the caramel or the normally creamy pumpkin pie filling.  I get a hint of the cider in there too.  I'll have to come back to this later and see how I feel about it.  (See how I didn't admit to curing there?  Ha!)
 
Home for the Holidays – 'Sit by the fire on a cold winter’s night and take in the scents around you. A wonderful blend of fresh wintery balsam pine, Macintosh apples and tart spiced Cranberries fill the air. A Homespun Original House Blend .'

Now this one I like.  I wondered about the possible smokey note because I'm not a fan of that, but it's minimal, if it's even there at all.  I get a nice tart and juicy scent with the apples and cranberries mingling nicely.  There is just the tiniest hint of spice to warm things up.  The pine note is just enough to put your mind in a Christmas mood, without obnoxiously screaming "Christmas tree!"  I'm looking forward to melting this after Thanksgiving.

Frosted Winter Cranberry – 'This is a delicious winter cranberry. Fruity goodness bursting with both tart and sweet cranberries blended with just a touch of sweet creamy vanilla. A B&BW “Frosted Cranberry” type duplication.'
 
This is a much sweeter, almost candy-like type of cranberry scent.  This is definitely not the spiced cranberry that I prefer.  There is a creaminess from the vanilla.  This is very perky and happy for a cranberry scent.  It's more candy-like to me though, and not holiday-like.  Not sure how I feel about this one.
 
 Pumpkin Butter Bake – 'Fresh buttery pumpkin, warm spicy cinnamon, the sweetness of brown sugar and creamy vanilla are baked into a deliciously comforting blend.'
 
Okay, this one is reminding me of the Pumpkin Souffle scent that I discussed earlier.  And since Pumpkin-mallow Bake *does* contain this Pumpkin Butter Bake, and this part of it is *not* an original blend, I'm back to thinking this might be the same as my much loved Pumpkin Souffle scent.  (Did you follow that?!)  Again, this is warm bakery type pumpkin scent, without spice.  Cinnamon is noted in the description but it's so minimal, spice haters should have no problem.  I think Pumpkin-mallow Bake and this one are very similar, with the mallow one being slightly sweeter and creamier.
 
Winter Solstice - 'A crisp clean refreshing blend of sweet peppermint infused with hints of sweet vanilla bean .'

I knew I need to try this one because vanilla-mint scents ARE Christmas to me.  Ohhhhhh, this does not disappoint.  *closes eyes and savors*  The vanilla is rich and creamy.  The peppermint is crisp and cool.  They are blended so nicely together, a sweet and creamy mint that is my perfect Christmas scent.  This is mason jar bag-worthy!
 
 Santa’s Pipe – 'The rich bold aromatic scent of fresh cherry pipe tobacco. This is a nostalgic scent, near and dear to my heart. It brings back fond memories of my Grandpa sitting in the garage smoking a pipe when I was a young kid.'
 
I was *really* leery of trying this one because I don't think tobacco scents are anything I'd like for home fragrance, and I don't think of them as holiday scents.  On the other hand, I remember really liking the scent when a friend of my parents would smoke his pipe.  So why not give it a shot?  With the tart cup open and sitting on the desk, I get a nice cherry-something scent.  When I sniff it directly I get a very inyerface smoky tobacco scent, with the cherry barely there in the background.  There are things about this that tickle those far corners of my brain, bringing back memories of that pipe smoking friend of the family.  But still, I don't know if I'll like this as a home fragrance.  I'll let hubby and the boys sniff it first before I decide whether to keep it or pass it on.
 
Apple Pie Noel - [no scent description]
 
Hmm, I don't see this on the scent list anymore.  It also has the older style label, so I wonder if she's discontinued it?  This wasn't a new scent anyway.  I was ordering a 12-pack sampler and since there were only 11 new scents, I needed one more choice to fill the sampler option.  This is nice.  I'd say it's stronger on the Vanilla Bean Noel, with some mellow spiced apple notes from the pie.
 
 Cherry Limeaide - 'Refreshing concoction of tart lime juice and sweet juicy cherries, poured over crushed iced. The perfect afternoon beverage. A Homespun Original House Blend.'
 
I received three freebie extras with this order.  (Thank you, Dessa!)  Cherry Limeaide is a repeat for me.  I think I have a 'Melted' post about it.

Tropical Fruit Chiller – 'Just like a chilled glass of tropical fruit punch. Rich, dark full bodied black cherries, tart lime slices, juicy lemon wedges and zesty mandarin orange slices. A Homespun Original House Blend.'
 
Another of the freebies, this is a familiar tropical punch scent, with quite a strong zest note.  A nice summer scent.
 
 Cinnamon Buns - 'Delicious baked buns loaded with cinnamon and sugar and generously topped with sweet buttery icing.'
 
The last of the freebies, this is actually quite light on cold sniff.  What I do get is the cinnamon-sugar notes.  I'm really hoping this is stronger when melted.
 
As mentioned, I chose the 12-pack sampler option, which lets you choose your own scents.   It costs $20.00 in Dessa's Etsy shop, and shipping was $8.50.  I ordered on Thursday morning (July 30) and my packaged arrived Monday (August 3).  Can't beat that TAT, can you?!  Although there are quite a few scents I'm not thrilled with (no fault of the vendor), I'm happy to have found Winter Solstice, and Pumpkin-mallow Bake!

Did you see anything interesting to you in this haul?
 

6 comments:

  1. Yep! Winter Solstice. Headed to her site to check it out. Great order Deb! Hope you end up liking the pipe one <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably coming to you if I decide not to bother with it. hehe

      When I was sorting my fall stash today, I found I have a small Pumpkin Souffle from Shayz. While not as good as Sweet Fixations, I do still think this Pumpkin Butter/Mallow Bake is pretty darn close, if not the same.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your reviews! I like spiced cranberry scents too- do you have some favorites you could recommend please (any vendor)? I'm already thinking ahead to Nov/Dec!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! There are so many nice fall and winter scents out there. It's hard to recommend any in particular though because so many vendors are closed more than they're open, and TATs are so long these days. I've stopped ordering from most vendors and stick with Dessa's now because it's just plain easier.

      Some of my absolute favorite fall and winter scents are from Better Homes & Gardens, and Scentsationals actually. BH&G's Candied Caramel Apple is my FAVORITE caramel apple scent ever. BH&G's Thankful Harvest is one of my favorite pumpkin scents ever. And Scentsationals' Spiced Cranberry is my absolute favorite cranberry scent ever, but I don't always see that one available.

      Do you have some favorites of your own?

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. Awesome cold sniff thoughts! Spiced Orange Pomander sounds freakin' incredible and I have had my eye on ordering from Dessa's again. You've made me hooked, lol. Looks like I'll also need to add Home for the Holiday and Winter Solstice to my list as well. Oh Deb, you're making me so excited for fall and winter!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already gone through all of my 'early fall' scents from my Dessa's orders. You know, the apple and non-pumpkin scents. They're nice but not quite strong enough for my large areas. I've been able to melt different scents in different rooms without them traveling far enough to mix with each other.

      ~Deb

      Delete