Friday, October 30, 2015

Oct. 30 - No More Wax?!

I had a horrible realization today.
Remember when I was telling you about Minion's bald heels?
I'd first thought it was a food sensitivity.  Then I thought it was more likely the litter.  I switched litter, and food, but he's getting worse.  He's always had a bit of this bald heel thing coming and going, but it's never been this bad.  And now he's getting bald spots elsewhere too.

Then I realized today . . . 
What if it's all the wax tarts I melt?!

Usually scented litter can be the culprit.  The vet said stress is also a very common cause.  He said, "You might not think cat's have anything to get stressed about but you'd be amazed."  

When I was doing laundry today, Minion was sitting on the dryer watching me, as he often does.  I poured the detergent into the cap and he stuck his head to sniff it then did that shocked retreat thing.  I'm sure you've all seen it in your own pets.  We all chuckle about it.  Then it just hit me!  Oh my gosh, what if he's sensitive to all the wonderful scents I have filling the house????

I mentioned this to Casey and he said, "Take a break for month and see what happens."  And -BAM- it hit me again!  Remember this summer when I *did* take a break?  It was like a six week break from melting because I'd run out of everyday scents and didn't want to start fall scent yet.  Well, some time ago . . . possibly in summer, possibly during this break . . . Minion's bald spots were pretty much completely healed.  I can't remember just when that healed time was though!  Did it coincide with the break I took from tarts?!  I wish I knew!!!!

I did some more Google research and found some articles that say scents can be overwhelming to cats, even stressful.  Aha!  The vet had said it was stress!  The articles suggest things like scented litter and carpet deodorizers, as well as things like hair spray, perfume, and air fresheners.  So no, apparently it doesn't have to be something they are in contact with, as I'd been thinking before.

So, I'm going to take a break from melting, effective immediately, and see what happens with his little bald heels.  In a way, I hope this IS the culprit, because it's easy enough to fix.  But then I think about all the wonderful tarts I have in my stash, all those pumpkin and cranberry scents for Thanksgiving, all those mint scents for Christmas . . . and I just want to cry.

Do any of you have any experience with this type of situation?
I'd love to hear about real situations and not just the general possibilities that most things online ramble about.

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's really bothering me now. Yeah, I took a six week break and didn't mind, but that was by choice and I knew I'd eventually come back to it. Thinking about this though, and thinking about all the amazing scents I have waiting, makes me so sad! I suppose maybe I could just melt less, and do it less often. I will probably still melt some key scents for the holidays regardless, but in general . . . I don't wanna quit!

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. :(( It would upset me too. I guess just think about your stressed-out kitty to remind yourself why? And maybe just less often/fewer places would help. :(

      Delete
    3. Yep, I know. And I've thought of the doing less thing too, but if this is the cause, he still had it even when I only melted in one warmer on the top shelf of the desk. I'm hoping hoping hoping this isn't the cause.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. I teach PreK Special Ed and my school district has banned ALL scented products from classrooms due to allergies, sensitivities, and contact with spray products. Originally I was MIFFED about this as I had a warmer going in my classroom and we would play 'What's That Smell?' as the kids entered each day. No more! I never EVER would have thought that non-contact with a fragranced product would cause hair loss. HEY! Maybe I'm actually sporting a full head of hair and it's just ALLERGIES! Maybe I'll look into that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sucks about the smellies ban. I have wondered though, every now and then, if when I'm feeling headache-y and blah, if it might be from tarts. I guess I'll probably scale back a bit even if this isn't what's causing the kitty grief.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. Oh no! Poor Minion :( I remember a couple years ago my late kitty Isis had a nervous reaction to something I was burning that was super strong--it kinda bothered me too. I had it going in the bedroom and she stayed in the living room and was visibly agitated til I took it off the burner and aired out the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to figure out now if some of his naughtiness might be from scents that bothered him. Some days he'd be constantly on my desk, knocking CDs off the shelf or pawing at my wall calendar. Or he'd be on the desk behind me, pawing at things on shelves over there. I either use a tea light warmer on my desk or my Glade warmer on the desk behind me. It really makes me wonder now.......

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. I'm kinda ruling out the naughty thing already. He was doing it last night when nothing was melting, and hadn't been melted for a long time. lol

      ~Deb

      Delete