Saturday, November 28, 2015

Nov. 28 - Thanksgiving Recap

A little late, I know, but thought I'd do a quick recap of our Thanksgiving.
In the days before Thanksgiving I was feeling quite bleah about it all.  I usually love this holiday for it's quiet calm, but this year I was stressing myself about it.  Once I got going on making food that morning though, I started feeling more relieved and in a lighter mood.  We were just staying home, only having hubby's parents over, so it was very casual and relaxed.

My mother-in-law gave me the gorgeous flower arrangement you see in the above picture.

The turkey was looking pretty good this year.  It tastes good each year but I never really get it brown on the outside.  This year was much better.

We always do it buffet style because we don't have any big dining table.  I'm a traditionalist when it comes to Thanksgiving dinner.  All the basics are there.  Well, except pumpkin pie.  Only hubby will eat it, and only a small amount, so we usually skip it.  This will sound horrible but one reason I don't like going to Thanksgiving dinner elsewhere is because I get all bummed if there are weird foods.  The whole 'bring a dish to pass' is fine as long as my beloved basics are still there.  lol

YUM!
I need to check if they sell frozen squash.  That's become the one pain in the butt for me, trying to get the squash done right.  I also grabbed whole berry cranberry sauce instead of the jellied kind that we prefer.

The in-laws only stayed a few hours, and after they left it was time to finish getting all the meat we could off the turkey.  Of course Minion had to oversee that project.

Overall it was a quiet, mellow day.  It was warm (53 degrees) but gray and rainy all day.  I watched a bit of the Macy's parade in between kitchen chores.  That was kind of a bummer because all I was seeing was a lot of commentator face-time and a lot of Broadway style performances.  Where were the floats and bands and balloons?!  Ty and Matt were still here after the in-laws left so we played a few rounds of Zombie Dice before Matt had to get going.  That was fun.  To just sit and laugh at such a fun and simple game was just what I needed.  And then later that evening the Packers lost to the Bears, which put the Vikings back in sole possession of the #1 spot in the division.
WOOT!

Minion hopes you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and that you survived Black Friday.

2 comments:

  1. Minion! Was he getting turkey treats? Beautiful flowers! I bought some this year. Just felt like it. Your turkey looks perfect. Great looking plate! I like the plain cranberry jelly too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think he got any. Even if we offer, they usually just lick it and leave it. lol

      I wish I could have flowers all the time but both cats keep chewing on them, no matter where we put them, so we don't bother getting them anymore. And yeah, they've been trying to chomp on this too.

      ~Deb

      Delete