Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Blogmas - Day 22 / Special K Bars


Thought I'd post a recipe today.  Special K Bars are something that have become a Christmas tradition in this house.  It's usually the only time during the year that I make them now, just to keep us from getting tired of them.  If I make them early, I have to tuck them away until Christmas Eve or they'd be devoured well before then.  They're super easy, super sweet, and super yummy!

Special K Bars
Slightly boil together:
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup white corn syrup

Add to sugars:
1 1/2 cups peanut butter (I use crunchy)
1 tsp. vanilla
Stir until peanut butter is melted and well mixed.

While sugars are heating, measure out 6 cups of Special K cereal and crush until pieces are quite small, but not down to powder.  Put the crushed cereal into a large bowl and add the boiled sugar/peanut butter.  Mix well.

Spread into a shallow 10x15 inch pan.
(I like to slightly coat the pan with shortening first.)
Pan will become hot, so be careful.

Melt together:
1 package of semi sweet chocolate chips
1 package of butterscotch chips

Pour the melted chips mixture over the bars in the pan.
Add festive sprinkles if you'd like.
Let cool.
I've found it easier to cut these bars if you do when still a bit warm.  I pop the whole slab out of the pan and use a pizza cutter to cut into small bars.  Because they are quite sweet and quite rich, I make the bars quite small.

ENJOY!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

We had snow overnight!  I haven't been paying much attention to the weather lately because I know we won't have a white Christmas this year.  So I was quite surprised when I got up this morning and saw a little bit of white stuff.
Of course, it warmed up enough later in the day and this little bit of snow is gone already.  We're supposed to be in the mid-50s tomorrow.  Whaaat?!

I had absolutely no plans today.  I played a bit of Skylanders in the morning, but just couldn't get into it enough and abandoned the effort.  Tried to get our extra computer set up for me to use because I fear mine is going to die any day now.  This extra computer was originally meant to be hubby's but he lost interest in computer games long ago and it's pretty much just been sitting ever since.  I know that one can handle World of Warcraft better than this one though, and since Casey and I have been having an itch to play that I thought I'd get it set up again.  I didn't finish though because of my own impatience.  So I sat and got caught up on some of the many episodes of Snapped the DVR has recorded for me.  Nothing like murderous women to bring on some festive spirit, huh?

Actually, the Christmas spirit was almost completely non-existent for most of the day.  I didn't have the radio playing Christmas music in the background.  I wasn't doing anything Christmas-y.  I wasn't seeing any Christmas-y commercials on TV since I was fast forwarding through them.  I was looking at the tree and decorations around the house, and it just felt to weird.  Like, detached or something.  I'm not sure why but a bit of holiday spirit started to creep back into me late in the day.  It's not much, but at least it's not still at that 'Pack up the tree and move one!' point.

We got two more cards today.  Our display is looking quite substantial this year!
Well done, people!  This is a tradition we shouldn't let die.  I'm always curious to see how many come in the last day or two before Christmas.

And now I'm going to log on to UO and get a round of daily gains for my character.

I hope your Day 22 was peaceful!


4 comments:

  1. Those bars are YUM! Might have to make them for New Years! :D You had a bit of snow, yay! We've apparently swapped weather with the east coast this year, all my New York friends are complaining about a 70 degree Christmas...par for the course here in sunny ol' SD! :P

    Is it just me, or has this not felt like a Christmas-y year? Same in our house, not until earlier this week did we ever get into the spirit. We decorated the house and tree, but it just felt...off.

    "Nothing like murderous women to bring on some festive spirit, huh?" HAD ME ROLLING!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christmas has just seemed out of place to me. I had all my decorating, shopping, etc. done early so the middle time have just felt like any other day of the year. It totally seemed like it had come and gone, and I'd been somewhere else.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting this recipe! I was googling around but didn't know which ones were the best to make. I will use yours for sure. I love the sprinkles you put on top. I might do these for Valentine's Day/Savanna's birthday. The dusting of snow looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could eat these bars until I'm sick. We just love them.

      That snow is long gone but our temps have dropped and they're talking rain/snow mix for tonight. =)

      ~Deb

      Delete