Thursday, December 24, 2015

Blogmas - Day 24 / Christmas Eve!

The weirdest thing happened last night.  We always leave our clock-radio in the bedroom playing while we sleep.  The oldies station that it's always on has not been playing Christmas music, but when I woke up in the night, I heard a Christmas song.  I realized it must be after midnight and they've switched to holiday music for the next two days.  And my Christmas spirit soared!  It was like this exciting little nudge that got me back on track!

We had windy weather last night and this morning.  I had to laugh when I saw this out the kitchen window this morning.
With all our non-snowy warm winter weather, ol' Frosty says "I'm outta here!"

I had to go to the bank this morning, then made a quick trip to the grocery store in town to pick up a few last minute things.  I expected it to be busy but holy moly!  At 9:00am that place was packed!  Every checkout lane was open.  It was crazy, but did add to my last minute Christmas mood.

Ty came over later in the morning and we all played some video games for a while.  Hubby had worked until noon, then came home and grabbed a few presents that he had to deliver.  Ty left for a while when Matt swung by and picked him up to go very last minute Christmas shopping.  And Casey went to take a nap since he's still running on a third shift schedule.  He said to wake him up when everyone got back.

I had a bit of time to myself at that point, and poked around on the internet, although there is not much happening today with everyone doing family stuff and getting ready for tomorrow.  Hubby got back first.  The boys got back a little after him, and brought pizza for supper.  I tried to wake Casey up but he was (and still is) out like a light, so we ate without him.  The rest of us ended up playing several games of Zombie Dice, and we had some good laughs.  That game is quick and easy, compared to when we play Munchkin and it takes hours.  Ty and Matt decided to leave then, about 6pm, because Matt still needed to wrap presents.

After the boys left, I asked hubby if he wanted to go drive around and look at Christmas lights.  He said no.  I called him a Grinchy Scrooge and went without him.  I just drove into the little town we live near.  There are some amazing looking light displays!  There were also some houses that just looked like someone had puked lights all over them.  Just because you have a million lights doesn't mean it's going to look good.  It was fun to cruise around but I was wishing someone else had been with me to make it a little more fun.  And then I started getting a little car sick from all the twists and turns and looking this way and that, so I headed back home.

We decided to try one of those make-ahead breakfast bake things this year.  Hubby always wants to have a big Christmas breakfast but we rarely do because we're usually all absorbed in opening presents or playing with our new toys.  I thought ah heck, this make-ahead thing will be great.  Ha.  No.  What a mess to put together!  We didn't have the right size baking dish.  We didn't have the required amount of boxed hash browns.  I kind of improvised.  I made a huge mess.  I would rather have been doing other things.  And I already don't care how it tastes tomorrow morning because I've already made up my mind that I'm not doing it again next year.

So now we're winding down on this quiet Christmas Eve.  Hubby's watching NCIS reruns in the dark living room with all sorts of Christmas lights on.  We've had some eggnog.  Casey is still asleep.  And after I get this posted I'll probably be heading up to bed to read.  Hubby will set out the presents he bought after I go up, because I don't like to see them before Christmas morning.  Casey will be up sometime in the night and set out the ones he bought.  This works out because it still allows me that excited first look at what Santa brought  when I get up tomorrow morning and set out the things I've bought.  We'll leave the tree lights and the radio on all night, quietly playing Christmas music, just like we did all the years the boys were growing up.

I hope you all had a great Christmas Eve Day, whether it was mellow or frantic.  I hope you get time to wind down this evening and enjoy your Christmas lights.  And I hope Santa brings you something wonderful!

2 comments:

  1. The entire month of December we try to keep Christmas Music playing through the night. It's more something my sister loves to do, but it's become a big part of my Christmas spirit.
    How can you not want to go around and look at Christmas lights! We used to do that all the time! It's a bit harder in the neighborhood my parents live in now because there's more land than house, but the times we do see a house they tend to be very extravagantly decorated.
    Pity the make ahead breakfast didn't work. At least you tried, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My usual radio station started out so good with Christmas music. The first weekend they had such a huge variety that the playlist never repeated. By the week of Christmas they were playing the same handful of songs over and over and over. One morning I heard the same song twice in the same hour! Ugh.

      ~Deb

      Delete