Saturday, December 26, 2015

Blogmas - Day 26 / Wrap Up

 

Christmas has come and gone.  Blogmas is technically over.  I wanted to do a little wrap up type post though.  Originally I'd thought I would include a Christmas haul in this post, but I decided to skip that.  I got another book about King Ludwig that I'm anxious to read.  I got the complete That '70s Show series on DVD.  I got an awesome #7 / Ponder jersey that I absolutely love even though he's no longer a Viking.  I got a lot of other random little things too, but the hit this year seems to be those stress relief coloring books.  Hubby got one, and I got two, and we've been coloring in them most of this afternoon and evening.  We're having so much fun with them that we're going to town tomorrow to try and find more colors of gel pens.

Christmas just seemed really weird this year.  Back at Thanksgiving, I was so excited to dive into the Christmas season.  I couldn't wait to get the tree up and the decorations out.  I got the Christmas cards done and sent early.  I had my shopping done early and easily, without stressing too much about what to get and who to buy for.  And then the Christmas spirit kinda fizzled away during the middle of the month, when I had everything done.  The closer it got to Christmas, the more this weird detached feeling took over.  It really started to feel like Christmas had come and gone, and I'd missed it or forgotten about it.  To see other people still shopping and getting excited seemed so weird.  Seeing holiday commercials or shows on TV was weird.

Then Christmas finally did arrive and it still felt sort of . . . empty.  I mean, we had a nice enough day and all, but something just felt lackluster about it.  Hubby admitted today that yeah, it lacked something this year, but we can't figure out what.

The weirdness continued today when I did my regular shopping this morning.  Walmart was pretty busy at 6:45am.  That's to be expected the day after Christmas.  People were grabbing clearance stuff like it was Black Friday all over again.  They were getting pushy and grabby and defensive as they stacked their carts with tons of those bath and body products gift sets, and perfume gift sets, and all that gifty kind of stuff.  Seriously, some people had stacks of like ten Axe gift sets, and probably twenty of the little Bodycology gift sets.  Are they saving these for next year?  For birthdays?  Why so many, people?  I did look around but didn't see anything I absolutely needed to have.  I did get two rolls of wrapping paper, a pack of gift tags that I'd wanted way back at the beginning of the season but then they'd been sold out, and one small canvas art decoration thing.  But the weird thing I realized was that there were no checkout lanes set up for returns or exchanges.  There were no lines of people returning or exchanging things.  Once again, it was like, did Christmas really happen?

The super weird thing is that today felt mildly more like Christmas to me than yesterday did!  One radio station was still playing Christmas music, so I continued to listen to that.  We hadn't made our ham dinner yesterday because we'd been munching candy and sweets all day, so we did it today instead.  And we've been having fun with our coloring books all day, which reminds me of previous Christmases, when there always seems to be one new obsession for the day.

As for Blogmas, I'm surprised I actually got a post done every day.  Maybe this will have taught me to be vigilant on just regular blogging???  I'm not sure, because I still don't know what I want to do after today.  People say they like the daily natterings but I'm afraid it will eventually open me up to people picking my life apart.  Know what I mean?  So we'll see.  But for Blogmas, yeah, glad I did it.  I would have liked to have more holiday related posts like recipes and tags and things but I was just winging it this year.  If I do it again next year, I'll try to be more prepared, and will try to coordinate with other bloggers.  And I do hope other bloggers will do it next year!

There were some things I'd hoped to accomplish with Blogmas that didn't really happen.  I was hoping for more interaction from readers.  I loved the conversations with Liz, and Julie was here once in a while, but I'd really hoped others would have chimed in.  That kinda tells me that maybe Blogmas was boring to a lot of people.  There were a couple other little things that never developed even though I thought I'd left enough not-so-subtle hints.  I guess I'll have to be more obvious and blunt next year.

I'm happy to have a record of this year's Christmas season though.  I'll probably print out the posts and put them in my journal, which I stopped writing in because Blogmas took over.  Maybe going back and reading the entries straight through will give me some insight as to why I felt so weird this year.

So yes, Blogmas is officially done now.
Did you enjoy it?  Or were you bored and only checked in for the daily wax posts?

8 comments:

  1. I haven't been checking in on blogs very much this couple of months but I wanted to wish you and your family a happy holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, stranger! I hope you and yours had a wonderful holiday season too. =)

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. Sadly, I enjoyed most of your Blogmas entries this year because they mirrored my own holiday theme: Merry? Meh! I just never got into the spirit on any level. I had my classroom to decorate and my class sang songs and had a party, so that was fun. When it was over and I'd taken everything down, I didn't want to replicate the experience at home. I did not decorate AT ALL. Nothing. And I was ok with that. I find that some years just don't work and there's no use fighting the feeling. Wax-wise, I lucked into a few good sales: Scentsationals, Ten Digit Creations and Bathhouse Soapery all had good deals which I took advantage of. BBW really must not want my business anymore as their holiday deals were lackluster and stock was limited. Cranberry Woods was offered for one single day online. I know that's a best-seller, too. What gives with these corporate sales strategies?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was more accepting that I just didn't get into it this year. Previous years I'd made it worse by worrying too much about WHY the Christmas spirit wasn't there. Christmas used to be my absolute favorite time of year.

      Even in wax, I've rather bleah lately. I didn't go shopping for anything more than what I'd purchased ahead of time. Most days I melted something out of habit more than a real urge to melt.

      Hopefully the bleahs move on out now as regular days resume. I'm looking forward to seeing where wax trends take us this year!

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. I very much enjoyed Blogmas! It was a harder season for me than past ones with work and feeling behind. But in the end I only forgot a couple things. Not too bad. I am glad the day after Christmas was nice. Your coloring books are cool.

    I would love to join Blogmas next year please. I am a freak who needs to start at day one to do something. I feel undone if I don't do things chronologically. I am sorry :-( at least I will be prepared for next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll smack you in the back of the head somewhere around Thanksgiving next year to remind you to get ready for Blogmas. hehe

      Seems this was an off year for a lot of people. So weird.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  4. I've never cared for those gift sets from Walmart. Michael's grandmother does the same thing in stocking up. She gave me a set last Christmas and I didn't know how to tell her she's better off keeping it so I ended up tossing it after realizing that NOBODY I knew would care for it. Am I horrible for doing that? LOL
    Pfft, who's gonna pick your life apart? First they have to actually comment! :P Nah, I can understand that. For me it's more of a security issue. I'm overly paranoid about divulging too much and Michael getting in trouble for me breaking OPSEC.
    We definitely will have to put more planning and synchronized themed posts next Blogmas! Maybe you and I doing it this year will get others hyped for next year!
    I did notice that my Blogmas posts were getting a lot more hits than my blog usually gets, so for me there was definitely higher traffic. It just didn't end up in more comments which I'm used to. In any case, I loved Blogmas and all of the interaction it added to our little bloggy circle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a little shower gel and lotion gift set from a coworker, but I tossed them. Doh! They were some off the wall brand that you'll never see again. The lotion dried my hands out after just one use. And the Vanilla Frost scent smelled like straight up florals to me. Bleah!

      My Blogmas posts got more hits than my Melted posts each day, but towards the end they started to taper off. I'm choosing to believe people were just more busy with Christmas so near. lol

      ~Deb

      Delete