Saturday, December 5, 2015

Haul - Scentsationals / Black Friday Sale

 I placed a Scentsationals order on Black Friday, when they were having a 25% off sale on the website.  Regular price on the site is $2.99 a pack.  The 25% off brought it down to $2.24 each , plus shipping.  So yeah, it's still cheaper to buy Scentsationals at Walmart but the website has a much larger offering than what you can find in-store.

I didn't go crazy because I already have a lot of Christmas wax, but let's take a look at what I got.

Cranberry Spice - 'Tangy cranberries mingled with rich spices create a perfect holiday aroma.
 I had to grab this when I saw it because I've said for a while now that Scentsationals has THE best Cranberry Spice scent out there.  I was so excited to receive this!  And then I sniffed it and found that either I've been remembering it wrong, or it's changed.  It's much more spicy than I remember, with the cranberry note taking a back seat.  I still like it but no, this is not what I was remembering.  I'd have to say now that the Cranberry Preserves scent I had recently is my new favorite spiced cranberry.
 
Citrus Garland - 'Pine, citrus, and spice!'
 I was so curious about this one, thinking it might be an amazing Christmas scent.  I'm not wild about it.  At first I thought it was a nice, bright, clean scent reminding me of handcrafted soap.  It's been sitting a couple days, waiting for me to get a chance to do this haul post, and now when I sniff it . . . it reminds me of body odor.  Like trying to mask body odor with a spritz of cheap spray.  I'll probably pass this on to someone who might have a different take on it.

Sugar Pine - 'This pine scent will remind you of walking through a winter forest, or sitting around the Christmas tree!'
Took a chance on this one because I already know I'm iffy on pine scents.  Nope, not fond of this either.  It's a strong, sweet pine that I know tons of people love.  But for me it's just too much.

Comfort & Joy - 'A soft but spicy cinnamon, mixed with holiday berries.'
The picture on this one called to me every time I browsed the site.  It's verrrrry cinnamon-y, and it's that dry kind of cinnamon scent.  I don't really get any berries on cold sniff.  Maybe they'll show up when this is warmed.

Santa's Sugar Cookies - 'Still warm from the oven, these buttery cookies shimmer with sweet sugar and spicy cinnamon sprinkled on top.
 Ohhh, this such a nice sugar cookie scent!  The mention of cinnamon is what intrigued me, and while I don't notice any cinnamon, I don't care.  The scent is so deep and rich with butter and vanilla, and sweetened with the sugar.  It really is like fresh from the oven cut-out Christmas cookies.

Candy Cane Twist - 'A twist of mints, cool and refreshing, swirled together to make the perfect candy cane.
 Hubby says, 'Eeuw, I don't get mint from that,' but I think it's wonderfully minty.  It's not as crisp and cool as a regular peppermint.  It's softer and has a bit of a sugary note.  Maybe there is spearmint or wintergreen in here?  I don't know, but I like it.
 
Jungle Safari - 'A harvest medley of pine and spice.
 This was not in the holiday section of the website but with a description mentioning pine and spice, hey, I took a chance that it might be Christmas-y.  Nope.  Not at all.  It's still a nice scent, but it's more of a summery, outdoor scent.  And it's so funny how that works out.  There has to be a lot of other things in here to make it that way.  I think the spice might be peppery.  I don't know how to describe this.  I do like it though.
 
And that is my little Scentsationals holiday scent haul.  I still have not seen any of their Christmas scents at my Walmart.  I guess they won't be having any there this year.  Bummer.
 
Have you found any new Scentsationals favorites recently?
 

8 comments:

  1. i jumped on the Scentsationals Black Friday Sale as well and found some great items.Blanket of Snow, Orange Blossom, Twinkle Lights, Almond and Pumpkin French Toast were the standouts that I've tried thus far. None of these are classic holiday scents but they're ALL warm and cozy. The PFT is the first French toast scent I've tried that truly DOES smell like French toast!!! You're right, the Walmart selections this year from Scentsationals and BH&G were duds. I've switched the bulk of my real-life wax/candle shopping to Kohl's. Their selection and quality is similar to BBW without the hassle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd been wondering if you ordered on Black Friday! What is Blanket of Snow like? And Twinkle Lights? I kept debating with those two but the descriptions on the site didn't give enough details. I wanted to get Pumpkin French Toast but then decided no to because I was all pumpkined out from fall already.

      What is the Kohls brand again?

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. Of COURSE I ordered on Black Friday!!! Blanket of Snow is not a holiday scent at all. I'd liken it to an orange chiffon scent with a tiny touch of laundry. It's a near dupe of a mystery fragrance I got from Sugar & Spice and I love it, very unusual. Twinkle Lights is a feminine, perfume-y scent that's light and very pleasant. I'll be re-ordering both. The runaway winner for me is the Pumpkin French Toast! The pumpkin accent is light, the French toast scent is STRONG. I have it melting next to my fireplace right now and it's drool-worthy.My only Scentsationals gripe: they've discontinued my favorite scent, Kitchen Spice!!! The only place these are still available are at select Fred Mejier stores and they don't offer mail order. UGH, holiday heartache. Oh well, moving forward. The Kohl's candle brand is Sonoma Life & Style. Regular price is $19.99, typically on sale for $9.99 and they're having a 25% off sale through today. If you like BBW, they are similar in most respects but they are available continuously and you don't need to wait for those dumb twice-monthly sales. Oh, BBW had an $8.50/candle sale today 'til 6am EST. My charge card kept getting declined, I called VISA, someone tried hacking my account, I missed the sale. #$&!#@!!!!

      Delete
    3. Sonoma! Yes. I thought that name sounded familiar. I just received a couple packs of Sonoma tarts as a gift. I have Holiday Eggnog melting right now and quite like it.

      I knew about the BBW sale but didn't go. The email said it was in-store only but then I heard this morning that there are some cheapies online too. Or at least there were yesterday. I might snoop around the site today just to see.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. The Sonoma Eggnog is very nice and gives you a nice example of how well the scents throw, as well as scent authenticity.

    BBW had the $8.50/candle sale yesterday, in stores only. Nope, no way. The only BBW store here is in our only mall and it is awful. Old mall, terrible parking, scary clientele, no thanks. When I jumped online today at 2:30am, the sale was online only until 6am, Eastern time. So I had half an hour, picked 10, my card was declined, I was bummed. Not sure what's being featured today after 6am but I'm probably not interested. Other than sale-priced candles, BBW doesn't do it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to think BBW shower gels and lotions were just high priced hype, but after using a lot of it in the first half of this year (because of holiday '14 gifts) and now going back to types I used to use, I'm seeing a difference. I think I might be a fan now. I'm hoping Santa brings more this year. lol

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. Not very haul! Sorry most of them are iffy on cold. But you got a nice range of scents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Live and learn, I guess. Some of them I just kept looking at and wondering about so I suppose it's good to just dive in once in a while.

      ~Deb

      Delete