Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Haul - Front Porch Candle Co.

It's been well over a year since I've ordered from Front Porch.  In today's crazy wax world where winning the $1.3billion lottery is probably easier to do than placing an order at some vendors lately, I felt like revisiting an old favorite.  I chose the Grab Bag Sampler pack for $10.50, and a few other tarts for $1.75 each.

Let's have a look!

The sampler is eight random scents, chosen by Front Porch.  I knew it was a gamble that I might get scents I don't like, but it's also a good way to try scents you might never otherwise consider.  Looking at the ones I received, it almost seems like this is their way of cleaning out old or poor selling stock.  This is an okay idea but what if someone finds a new favorite and it's the last of a now discontinued scent?  That's kind of a bummer.  But oh well, that's the risk we take I guess.

Tres Leche Cake - 'Yummy Cake that emphasizes rich creamy milk, white cake, and sweet yummy cream cheese icing. Yummy!'
This is so good.  It's all sweet and cozy, just a bit of warmth, and hints of that 'sour' cream cheese note.

Zucchini Butter Fudge Cupcakes - [no scent description]
I immediately just handed this one over to hubby when I saw zucchini in the name.  YUCK.  He smelled it and made a face that pretty much said everything I feel about zucchini scents.  I can't even tell you anything about this scent because my nose and brain can't get past that offending z-note.  This one will get tossed or passed on to someone else.

Watermelon, Pomegranate, and Peach - [no scent description]
Peach scents can be iffy for me.  This one has a lot of watermelon though, and maybe a lot of the pomegranate, although I'm not even sure what pomegranate smells like.  I do like this scent though.  It'll be good for summer, or a bright pick-me-up scent.

Rainbow Citrus Explosion - [no scent description]
I knew as soon as I saw the name of this that it would be too sweet for me.  I almost choked myself off when I took a big sniff.  This is STRONG and super uber sweet.  It's fizzy too, or maybe zesty, with a hint of tang.  Hubby likes this one, thinks it's a fun scent.  I might still melt it, but maybe only half, and in a room that I'm not in.  lol

Apricot Vanilla - '(In House Blend) Sweet and creamy blend of fresh apricots and vanilla bean.'
 I'm not sure if I like this one or not.  It reminds me of peach, but the vanilla is quite strong so maybe it'll be okay.
 
Strawberry Pink Chiffon Coconut Cake Shoppe - [no scent description]
That name is a mouthful, huh?  I swear I get a sandalwood note in this.  Is there sandalwood in Pink Chiffon?!  I just can't get past that.  There might be a slight white cake note but the sandalwood is just throwing me off.  There might as well be zucchini in this.  Doh!  Another one up for grabs.

Blackberry Coconut Cream Filled Cake - [no scent description]
I think I'll like this one.  The blackberry is quite strong but there is a light coconut and cake mix along with it.

 
 Cola Marshmallow - [no scent description]
This one is interesting and I can't decide if I like it or not.  It reminds me of Bottlecaps candies, which I *LOVE.*  The cola note is there but that marshmallow note softens it, sweetens it, and makes it candy-like.

Those were the eight scents in my Grab Bag Sampler Pack.  Now we'll look at the other scents I ordered.

Strawberry Lemon Birthday Cake - [no scent description]
Because Rosegirls has some strawberry-lemon scents that are some of my favorites anywhere, and because there is something similar about Rosegirls and Front Porch scents, I decided to try this one.  On cold sniff it's not as deep and full bodied as I'd hoped but it's still nice.  It's a very sweet scent, heavier on the lemon.

Lemon Marshmallow Vanilla Birthday Cake - [no scent description]
I was absolutely in love with Front Porch's lemon scents back when I was a more frequent customer, and Lemon Marshmallow was one of my favorites.  The lemon is soft in here, nearly buried by the vanilla and cake notes, but it's still nice.

Raspberry Cream Tea - 'Blend of Raspberry Preserves, Coconut Cream Pie, and Tea Time.'
 Remember that tea scent phase I went through?  Yeah, I just needed to see what this was like.  The raspberry and the coconut battle for top note, with a sweet warmth holding them up.

Pineapple, Brown Sugar, and Fig - 'Blend of Pineapple Slices and Brown Sugary Fig.'
 I received a brown sugar and pineapple something or other candle as a gift recently and was instantly smitten with the scent.  When I saw this tart I knew I had to try it.  It reminds me of the tropical fruits rolls of Lifesavers from back in my childhood.  (They don't even have those anymore, do they?)  The pineapple note is strong and delicious, with the other notes adding a bit of warm tropical charm.  Love this one!

Cranberry Cream Filled Cake - 'Blend of Cranberry Spice and Cream Filled Cake.'
I know, I'm past my cranberry scent melting days.  I thought I'd get this though, to see if it's something I'd want when fall rolls around again.  It is quite nice.  The Cranberry Spice is the stronger note but it's toned down by the bakery notes.  Yes, I think The Fall Slut might like more of this for later.

Butterscotch Sugar Cookies - [no scent description]
I've found I have to be careful with butterscotch scents.  If there is 'brickle' involved, I usually don't like it.  I'm not even sure what would be in brickle that kills the scent for me.  This one seems okay.  A yummy gooey butterscotch note right off the bat, with a deep, rich cookie note chasing it.

And that is my little Front Porch haul.  I ordered Sunday morning, January 3, and received my package on Monday, January 11.  The prices of 1 oz. tarts might seem a little higher than other places but that is because 'free' shipping is absorbed this way.  There are also no free samples in Front Porch orders.  A lot of these tarts are .8 or .9 oz. in weight, which is perfect for me.  I usually try to melt around 1 oz. of wax, and I hate having to cut larger chunks or shapes down.

I'm not sure if Front Porch still combines orders.  Since they add new stock almost daily, it used to be common practice to add a couple things here and there as you saw new stock over the course of a week, and then your order would be shipped out.  But like I said, it's been quite a while since I last ordered.

I've already started a list of scents I want to try next!
Cinnamon Graham Crackers, anyone?!

6 comments:

  1. They all sound amazing to me! I really need to order from Front Porch soon. Too many vendors, too little $.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of vendors, for sure, but I like to stick to the ones who stay open and have short TATs. I hate the crazy ordering tactics so many vendors use these days.

      If you do order, I can't wait to see what you pick!

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. Apricot vanilla and your lemon cake one sound good! I thought a FP haul was coming lol! Good for you. A nice mystery box can be fun. Especially when there isn't much to lose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol - How did you know? I thought I was pretty stealthy about this one.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. Oooh, such pretty pictures! Watermelon, pomegranate, and peach sounds delicious! So does cranberry cream filled cake. You got a nice variety. Boo on the zucchini blend. I still can't figure out why people like it LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! Hubby was eating Fritos last night, just plain ones, and the smell was making me think of zucchini bread scents. *gag*

      ~Deb

      Delete