Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Haul - Rosegirls Sampler / Jan. 2016

As you know, I have a sort of love-hate relationship when it comes to Rosegirls.  I love the wax.  I love that creamy type signature note that comes from Rosegirls wax.  I love that it is a vendor local to me.  But I hate the chaos of trying to order, and especially the ungodly long TATs.  I could just hop over to the Rosegirls store when I'm needing more but again, it can be crazy trying to match the store's open hours with my work schedule, and then never knowing what scents will be in stock when I get there.

When owner Jenny announced recently that they were going to be changing some things in attempts to make ordering and TAT better, I was quite interested.  The first change was that the January website opening would not be for samplers, not custom blends.  I hadn't planned on ordering at first because I was working that day and figured they'd be sold out well before I got home.  Rosegirls also seems to lean heavily towards fruity scents, and I wasn't in a mood for a lot of summery fun type scents.  When I heard though, that these samplers would supposedly ship out within a week I was floored.  Then when I got home from work on that day the site opened, and found it was still open, I was extremely tempted.  I talked myself out of it though, telling myself it was still too expensive.  When I got home from shopping the next day and found there were still samplers available . . . I couldn't help it, and ordered.

It was advertised as a 2 lb. sampler.  I placed my order late in the morning on Saturday, January 16, and received my package on Saturday, January 23.  A one week TAT from Rosegirls?!?!?!  Yes, please!  Anyway, I received 2 lbs. 1 oz. of wax in 13 different scents.  Once shipping was subtracted, the cost per ounce came out to about $1.29.  That's not bad at all.  So why does it seem to expensive?  I think because you get multiple chunks of each scent, and some of those chunks can be quite large.  If it was set up as a single, smaller chunk, with more different scents in the sampler, it might seem a little more reasonable.  I don't know, just my line of thought.  Doing the math though, and seeing that it's not really that expensive, I think I will be more willing to keep ordering the samplers from now on.

Yeah yeah, enough babbling already.  You want to see what I got, right?!

(It's nearly impossible to find Rosegirls scent descriptions, so if anyone knows any of these, let me know and I will update the post as I get more information.)

Crunchberry Koolaid - [no scent description]
Candy-sweet with just a hint of that cereal type note.  Smells like a berry KoolAid.  It's not quite to the cavity causing level of sweetness.  I like it.

Fruity Pebbles - [no scent description]
I thought this would just be another super sweet Fruit Loops type but it's not.  I get a wonderful dose of creamy lemon in here, and I love that!  I really couldn't tell you what else, if anything, is going on in this, but I don't care because that lemon is so wonderful.

Pistachio Smoothie Vanilla Bean Noel - [no scent description]
I was really excited to see this one because I love the RG smoothie scent, came to love VBN in general this past Christmas, and loved a pistachio scent from another vendor some time ago.  Although it's been a while and I don't have any on hand to actually compare this to that other vendor, this RG version does indeed make me think of that other one.  It's sweet and smooth, with the pistachio staying sweet instead of strongly nutty.

Satsuma and Blue Cotton Candy - [no scent description]
Very sweet, almost effervescent.  The satsuma is strong in this.  I'm not sure what the 'blue' part is but I'm guessing the cotton candy is just the extra sweetness around the zesty fruit.

Strawberry Pink Stiletto - [no scent description]
I'm just getting a strong strawberry note at the moment.

Apricot Mango Tangerine - [no scent description]
I don't like this one.  I'm iffy on mango scents to begin with, so that combined with the strong zesty tangerine note make this just too much for me.

Cinnamon Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies - [no scent description]
I was surprised to see this one.  It seemed so different from all the fruitiness.  I know a few Badger State Cocoa haters that will probably avoid this one though.  The same cocoa-y chocolate note is quite strong in here.  I do detect a bit of the bakery note behind that, and just the slightest hints of cinnamon and caramel.  I'm very curious to see how this comes across when melted.

Raspberry Pineapple Birthday Cake - [no scent description]
I think this one is the prettiest of the bunch.  The scent is quite interesting too.  The sweet bakery notes of the birthday cake and a soft pineapple note blend together for the bulk of the scent.  I only get fleeting hints of the raspberry.

Peppermint Coconut Mallow - [no scent description]
I was SUPER excited to find this in the sampler!  Ohhh, this is an old favorite of mine and I'm glad to have more.  It's a lovely creamy mint scent, with just the tiniest hint of coconut if you're paying attention.  There is enough gooey marshmallow to sort of warm the mint a bit, and add thick creaminess.  I love this for Christmas but it's 'warm' and creamy enough that I'll melt it any time of year.

Treat Yo Self - 'Lemon verbena and Gilligan's Brew.'
(Gilligan's Brew is coconut and whipping cream.)
I mainly get the lemon, and it reminds me a softer version of the lemon in the Fruity Pebbles scent.  Light coconut and some creaminess makes up the rest of the scent.  The slight sharpness of the lemon keeps this from being a really rich and creamy scent.  This would be a nice, bright pick me up type scent.

Blueberry Muffin Pie Crust - [no scent description]
This is a sweeter version of a good ol' blueberry muffin scent.

Lemon Biscotti and Strawberry Shortcake - [no scent description]
There are some Rosegirls strawberry-lemon blends that are my absolute favorites out there, so I was quite excited to see this.  On cold sniff though, this one is weird and bordering on 'I don't like it.'  I think the biscotti is throwing it all off with it's weird blah bakery note.  The strawberry note is quite strong too.  Maybe because there is no smoothie or mallow to cream it all together into sweet gooey yumminess each of the notes is too separate.  I don't really like that strawberry note without the creaminess of something else.  It was the same with that Stiletto scent.  The strawberry on its own is rather ugly to me.

Fruit Salad Margaritas - [no scent description]
I knew right away I wouldn't like this one because of the margarita.  I don't like the zesty, effervescent, alcohol scents.  This is just an overly sweet zesty scent to me.

And there it is, my January 2016 Rosegirls sampler.
Did you see anything you liked?  Are any of these new to you?
Are you a fan of the sampler?

8 comments:

  1. I got almost the same mix that you did. I like the Satsuma and Margarita best, the chocolate one the least. I really like the samplers - they do a better job of blending stuff than I seem to be able to do with the mini melters. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people have mentioned that blending with the mini melters just doesn't give the same results. I'm almost convinced there is a secret added 'something' that gives Rosegirls blends that signature creamy note.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great assortment and I'm impressed with the quick tat considering how long it usually takes. I've really enjoyed the handful of RG scents I've tried, but I haven't braved the order craziness for myself yet. If I lived near a vendor I would definitely go in person. I would love to sniff all the goodies and avoid shipping costs. Thanks for sharing your haul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like it's getting easier to order from RG for now. Did you see the info about the upcoming openings?

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. PCM!!!! My baby! So excited you got that one! Looks like a nice mixture of scents. I personally and not a huge RG Strawberry Jam fan but I loooooove her Gilligan. And lavender. And bakery. Treat Yo Self sounds cool. Enjoy your smellies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These strawberries aren't sweet like jam though, which is what caught me off guard. These are almost like the 'fresh strawberry' type that was popular not long ago, and I was never a fan of that type.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  4. Pcm and raspberry pineapple sound amazing! So does Blueberry muffin pie crust! I think all of these are new to me RG blends. I'm kicking myself for not grabbing a box. Silly me thought I already had enough wax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grab one in the next round! I'm thinking about getting another one. I might grab a couple bags in the chunk sale too.

      ~Deb

      Delete