Monday, January 4, 2016

Natters - Jan. 4 / Boring Mini-Rant


Well, I finally head back to work tomorrow.  I think December 4th was the last day I actually worked.  There were those partial days of classes December 9-16, and then I've been off off OFF since December 17.  As always, I started to fall into a funk last night as I thought about it.  I usually get myself so worked about it, reminding myself of all the bad things about work, and already missing the fun and laziness of days spent at home.  I quickly tried to shift gears this time though.  I reminded myself that I am my own worst enemy when it comes to a lot of things, and that I've admitted to myself that I won't be leaving this job anytime soon.  I told myself to just forget all the fretting and think about other fun things, like how bloggy stuff and the fact that I know have little interests to occupy my time and mind.  It's helped.  If I feel the dread creeping back I quickly remind myself that I have things to look forward to on my next days off.

We'll just see how I feel about it all tomorrow though.

I went to Mom's today, as I do weekly.  I did her laundry and took her grocery shopping.  Nothing really exciting came from today's visit.  

I puttered around with some blog stuff when I got home from Mom's.  Spent some time chatting with some bloggy friends, and we got a project rolling.  I have a bit of a bug up my butt towards YouTubers again, so it's fun to have a group of bloggers to 'hang out' with.  It seems the YouTubers continue to dismiss bloggers.  It must be something in the personality of people bold enough to do videos, because this attitude was around even back in my soap making days.  It just seems even more present now.  It's like, you can watch all their videos and leave comments and be supportive of their channels, but they can't take a moment to visit your blog.  You don't even get the same type of response to comments if you are not a fellow YouTuber.  It kinda makes me want to turn into those awful internet trolls that drive us all nuts.

My sister had major surgery today.  I didn't realize how worried I'd been about it until her husband sent a text about midday saying she was out of surgery "and stable."  I just lost it at that, sobbed in relief.  "...and stable."  Wow, it's still scary to think about.  He sent that text at about 12:45pm, and it wasn't until just before 7pm when she was finally moved out of recovery and into a room.  Well, that's when the next update came anyway.  I guess she might have been moved earlier and he just didn't text till later.  But still.  He said she was still pretty much out of it, very heavily medicated, and only awake for about 30 seconds at a time.  I cried again after the update, and then I got online and sent flowers.  (I think a lot of you know she lives in another state.)

That's about it for today.
Rather boring, huh?

So tell me, are YOU a YouTuber?

11 comments:

  1. I think it's largely an age thing. Those under 30 are into vlogging because it's quick (once you've mastered the set-up), provides quick gratification and is more egocentric. Blogging involves time and concentration on both ends.

    So glad your sister is doing well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Video is where it's at in these tech times. So many say they don't have time to read. Oh, but you have time to sit and watch several 20 minute Dollar Tree haul videos? It's frustrating, but oh well.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. That is a big step in changing your mindset about going back to work. I am happy you are doing this positive move for yourself. I also hope work goes well. I forget how tired the first day back makes me. But Adam was sweet and had dinner going when I got home yesterday.

    I am stoked about the project. Totally. And wow. Does Kevin have great points! I don't really have much YouTuber interactions but it definitely seems like it can get cliquey. Besides, we always have each other in the waxy blogs <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yes, glad your sister is ok. Praying for her.

      Delete
    2. It's VERY cliquey in the YouTube world. Maybe we are cliquey in the blog world too? I hope not. I hope we treat all commenters decently, whether it's their first or their thousandth comment.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear your sister came through surgery ok. Hope she continues to do well!

    Good points, Kevin. I saw something similar in my previous job in video games: younger people are far less likely to read a blog post or web article anymore, preferring the Let's Play type videos on YT or live streaming gameplay on sites like Twitch. It was like my job trying to get coverage for my clients' games changed completely in the space of about a year!

    When I watched wax videos more frequently I was astounded at how lazy many of the YT'ers were, not bothering to look up a scent description on the vendor's site, much less how to pronounce things properly. I mean, you're already online! How hard is it to Google?? Certainly not all of them were guilty of that and there are/were some lovely people doing videos, but I've mostly stopped watching waxy stuff on YT. Keeps my blood pressure down and my budget happier ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lazy, yes! I used to watch wax videos but got sick of them quickly because of the extreme cliquey-ness, but even more so was their unbelievable ballsy sense of entitlement. Holy cow, greedy slackers!!! It was also just plain uncomfortable to watch some of them with endlessly huge hauls, enough wax to last a lifetime in every order they placed.

      Not looking up scent descriptions annoys the heck out of me. Yes, like you said, you're already online...how hard is it? One girl would constantly say "It smells like something, but I can't think of what." Huh?!

      And not pronouncing things properly! LOL - Julie has had to listen to me rant endlessly about one particular Dollar Tree/craft hauler that I'm hooked on watching because she is a total train wreck. Subscribers = susscribers. Ornamnets = ordamints. Lip balm = lip blahm. On and on and on and on. And she busy SO much! Her house HAS to be approaching hoarder status.

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. Oh lordee, I just noticed that I can't spell much better than she can talk. "Ornamnets" ?!

      I'm not really that bad! I swear!

      ~Deb

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry, I had to laugh at the 'bug up my butt' part. I don't think I've ever heard that phrase before.

    I get what you mean about YouTubers. If you're not a fellow YouTuber then they will not support your stuff the same way they would if you had videos. I see it all the time in the way they interact with their audience. Even if you do YouTube unless you have a larger audience than them they tend to disregard anything you have to say in a 'that's nice dear' kind of manner. It's that reason why I stopped interacting with any YouTubers I watch.

    I'm glad your sister is doing okay. Keep your chin up! :)

    I made a few YouTube videos back when I first got into nail art, but the community wasn't the kindest. I tried again with haul videos and waxy stuff when I first got into scented wax and found that it just didn't flow naturally for me. I've been 'practicing' doing video game lets plays for about two years now, and even have about 60 videos recorded where I babbled senselessly while playing a random game. It started out as a testing ground to see if I could ever get natural at doing what other Let's Players do but turned into an audio diary of some of the rough times I was going through when Michael was in basic and Diana died. I could probably cut out the video aspect (who wants to watch another Minecraft video anyway?) and save the audio to take up less space and keep that part of my life saved for a rainy day, but I somehow like having the visual there.

    I do see the points about age factoring into the video/reading preferences. I guess I'm just a weirdo because I'm very much a young'n and I still love the blog interaction over Youtube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never heard 'bug up my butt'?! Wow, you ARE a young'n!

      I *tried* to become a YouTuber back in my soap days. I couldn't get past the sound of my own voice in videos. People told me to just keep doing it, even if I didn't post them, and I'd eventually get used to it. But you know me, I gave up instead. lol

      My son Ty and his friend Matt were going to start a gamer channel. They might as well. They play all the time! They put money into equipment and did research and have yet to do a video. I keep telling Ty to just film whenever they play, don't *try* to make a channel video, and maybe they'd capture gloriously hysterical moments. He's all "yeah yeah." I'm like dang, that Pewdie Pie (whatever) guy makes $7mil a year on YouTube! Why not at least try?!

      ~Deb

      Delete