Saturday, January 30, 2016

Read - Unforgiven

Unforgiven
by Lauren Kate
2015
357 pages

'It's the book FALLEN fans have been waiting for: Cam’s story, the brooding, bad-boy dark angel readers love.

High school can be hell.

Cam knows what it’s like to be haunted. He’s spent more time in Hell than any angel ever should. And his freshest Hell is high school, where Lilith, the girl he can’t stop loving, is serving out a punishment for his crimes.
Cam made a bet with Lucifer: he has fifteen days to convince the only girl who really matters to him to love him again. If he succeeds, Lilith will be allowed back into the world, and they can live their lives together. But if he fails . . . there’s a special place in Hell just for him.
Tick-tock.
Spread your wings and cry as bad boy dark angel Cam finally reveals his anguished heart in the epic new FALLEN novel, UNFORGIVEN.
'

*** MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS ***

 Another disappointing book.  This thing was just cheesy.  I read the Fallen series, which this is a companion novel of, a few years ago but I really don't remember too much about it.  I had to look back at my reviews of those books to find that I pretty much hated them.  I did remember I was disappointed and that I thought they were fluff, but I'd forgotten *why* I was so disappointed.  I had to laugh when I read my old reviews and saw that things just didn't make sense, there was too much extra crap going on, there was no bond with any characters . . . pretty much all the same things I felt about this book.  So why the heck did I read it?  Because on the cover it says 'Every story has a dark side,' and I thought that might be more interesting than the fluff of the other books.  Nope.  There was nothing 'dark' about this mess.

Cam is given two weeks to make the love of his life, Lilith,  fall in love with him again.  You see, three thousand years ago they were madly in love and about to be married.  There was just one problem.  He couldn't set foot in the temple because he was a fallen angel, a demon who had sided with Lucifer.  Instead of telling Lilith the truth, they had a fight and he left.  So three THOUSAND years go by and he's only just now found out where she is?

So Lucifer sends him to this crappy little town where Lilith is living her current life.  Is she dying and being reincarnated, like Luce was in the other Fallen books?  No, she can't be.  She's in hell, so wouldn't that mean she's dead?  So is Lucifer just toying with her, dropping her into a miserable life for a while then plucking her out, wiping her memories, and dumping her into a new hellish life?  What sense does any of that make?

Why does Lucifer have to interfere in Cam's attempts to win this girl?  Yeah, he doesn't want to lose the bet but Cam is getting nowhere with Lilith on his own anyway.  And why interfere in such stupid ways?  Making Cam gradually turn from young, hot, muscular to old, fat, thinning hair, and . . . hooves?  What the heck is that?  Especially since Lilith can't see these changes anyway!  And why can't she see them?  Who knows?  It's never explained.

Cam is so sappy and whiny in this book.  There is nothing hot or dark about him.  Oooh, dressing him in a leather jacket and dark shades and having him steal random things like a t-shirt is supposed to make him this irresistible bad boy?  *puke*  He's more of a creeper perv the way his supposed soulmate love for her is only ever his thoughts of wanting to kiss her lips hard and feel her skin against his.  Every over the top mushy line that comes out of his mouth made me gag.  It's no wonder Lilith kept pushing him away.  He's a freaking weirdo stalker!

There is a big deal made about Lilith's musical talent and ambitions.  Apparently that's also what brought them together all those years ago.  In this present day high school hell, her escape is her music.  So he uses that as his way to get close to her.  In a matter of days she ends up having a band formed and songs written that they perform flawlessly.  There is a Battle of the Bands competition at prom, and she'd love to enter.  What?  Why a Battle of the Bands at prom??  Oh yeah, because two weeks is not enough time to have two big events.  And what do we need prom for anyway?  Oh yeah, as a way to make sure all the terrible kids at school are in the same place when all the drama happens.  It's just all so hodgepodge and weak.  And inconsistent!

In the end, while wearing a dress that she wore back when she and Cam broke up, memories start flooding back to her.  The same dress she wore thousands of years ago?  Yes.  It has somehow showed up at a thrift shop and she's drawn to it.  Uh, yeah okay.  So if this dress is so mysterious and so powerful, and the angels (Cam, and some friends that show up) recognize it, why on earth would angel Arianne alter it?!  Ohhhh yeah, to make it hot for her present day look.  Got it.  *rolls eyes*

And that whole so-called dramatic ending?  I don't even understand what happened.  The words 'I love you' were so strong they disintegrated the devil?  I don't know?!  What WAS that?!

Sometimes a series is stretched out too long with a story that could have done better as a stand alone novel.  I think this is the opposite.  This book was choppy and rushed.  Two weeks was ridiculous to try and get this eternal love back on track.  This is one that would have done much better stretched out into a series.  Each book could have spent time letting Cam and Lilith get to know each other again and build a relationship, besides the cold and empty constant thoughts of how he wanted to kiss her madly.  Lucifer's attempts at interfering could have been more creative and meaningful, like one attempt being the main drama in each book.  But no, we get this choppy and weak mess.

This was such a disappointing book.

6 comments:

  1. Boooo! What a bummer. There was a series I tried starting that was much like that... Nevermore or something? Total cheese fest. Thanks for saving me valuable reading time. I was going to try reading Anna Karenina but good gravy that thing is a beast. I am not sure I am in the mood for beasts right now. Magnus was easy to read but still quite large. I think I will move on to something smaller. What are you picking up next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look for the Blackwell Pages trilogy I showed you. Those are short and quick, a brain cleansing before diving back into bigger, deeper things.

      And it's so funny you mention the Evermore series because THAT is what I started reading last night. LOL! I knew you didn't like it because around the time I ordered the set I had looked on Goodreads to see what people thought of them and saw you'd rated it low and given up. I read another series by that author a couple years ago and really liked it so I'm thinking I'll be okay with this one.

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. I will look for it! Thanks!

      Whoops! Maybe I was having a harsh moment ;-) Interested to know what you think of the series at any rate!

      Delete
    3. I'm off to a slow start. I like it so far but I've only been able to read a couple pages at a time. I'm hoping I can get a good chunk of reading done on my breaks at work this weekend. (Weekends are mellow there, hehe.)

      I knew going into it that plenty of people trashed the whole series but oh well, I don't rely on reviews.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. Eww. The characters sound familiar. I'm pretty sure I read the first book, or at least tried, because I can barely remember anything beyond a feeling of "WHAT am I reading?!"
    Bummer this was just as bad. At least it's over now! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first book was that best, so if you thought THAT one was bad it's a good thing you gave up. LOL Although, my friend just loooooooved the whole story. (Yeah, she's cheesy.)

      ~Deb

      Delete