Friday, February 5, 2016

Natters - Feb. 5 / Taxes & Ovens

Hello!  I've had a nice little break but now it's time to get back to nattering.  I think we'll all just have to accept that on days that I work there most likely won't be a Natters post.  I don't know what it is but the twelve hour shifts just suck the life out of me these days, even if they are good days.  I'm trying to stay up a bit later at night though, to help with my sleep, so maybe I'll be able to get into a habit of posting even on work days.

So what's been up these two and half weeks I've been Natter-free?
I wrestled for a while with whether I wanted to continue blogging.  For a couple days I'd made up my mind that I was completely done with it, not just Natters posts but all of it.  I was at peace with my decision.  Then the old urges started creeping back.  I resisted though, just to see if it was an urge out of habit or truly and urge to blog.  The longer I resisted, the more okay I was with not blogging, so I took that as just being old habits dying hard and that I really *was* done.  It was very nice to just spend my free time away from the computer and not want to blog everything.  But then I just started really missing it again.  I always look forward to checking my email in the morning to see if there are any new comments.  You already know I love the interaction and really feed off that.  And then little comments and things here and there the past few days have really made me decide to come back once again.

And today is a great day for nattering on a blog called It's Always Something because man oh man, it's been that kind of a day today!  My feet are all kinds of achy from work and trying to find shoes that are comfortable.  My sinuses are waging war behind my face, making everything miserable for me.  I bought a Caramello candy bar this morning at the gas station so I'd have something to munch while I drove to town to do my shopping, only to find the caramel had exploded out of the chocolate and glued everything to the wrapper.  Yeah, no one handed maneuvering on that mess.

I get to the store and have a fairly short list, and am glad this will be a quick trip so I can get back home and get other things done.  Nope.  I dash into the back 'seasonal' room to get some bird suet bars and end up getting sucked into looking at all the clearance stuff they have out there at the moment.  I eventually realize I'm wasting time and abandon that room to try and get back on track.  But no, as I head towards the other side of the store I go past the wax aisle and that's when I notice it's newly restocked with spring scents.  Well of course I have to stop and look!  But wait, I don't need to study them all and take notes because I'm not blogging anymore.  So what?!  I still have waxy bloggy friends who don't frequent Walmart, so maybe they'll want to know what's new.  And I get sucked into scribbling a list and sniffing things and sending messages to waxy bloggy friends.  I linger in that aisle until I'm sure the girl stocking shelves nearby thinks I'm a creeper, then I give up and flee in another attempt to get back on track.

Over in electronics I need to try and find a battery for our home phone.  Do they even sell landline phones anymore?!  They do indeed, but they don't have the battery that I need for ours.  I'm not even sure the battery is the problem.  So I find myself looking at all the phones, considering just buying a new one.  Wait, what?!  My list was short and sweet and this shopping trip was supposed to be quick!  Forget the dang phone that no one uses and go get some freakin' groceries!

Once I finally get over there things do indeed go quickly.  I grab what I need, get checked out, and head for home.  Casey helps carry the bags in when I get home.  He disappears to finish watching whatever anime series he's currently into, and I put the groceries away and quickly get laundry started.  Then I sit down to finish working on our taxes.

For some reason, the tax program will not work on my computer.  It does work on our extra computer though.  We had this same problem last year.  Not a big deal, right?  Except there is no printer connected to that computer and I've never been able to figure out how to get it to network and use my printer that's here on this computer.  No biggie.  Last year I just saved the files on a flash drive and used that on my computer to print it all.  Cool.  Easy peasy.  Except that this time I can't get the files to save in a format that will let me reopen them on this machine.  How did I do it last year?!  I'm getting all frazzled and pissy and then I hear some weird noise that at first I dismiss as coming from the washing machine.  I realize that no, the washer has been done for a while now.  So what is that noise?  It sounds like somebody dragging something across our icy snowy porch or something.  Even Minion came running from his sleep spot to see what the racket was.

As I head through the kitchen towards the back door I notice the stove out of the corner of my eye.  I'd had it preheating so I could make some cookies today.  Why is there an orange light in there?  I open the oven door and smoke pours out.  WTF?!  I see sparks and a sort of electric arc from the heating element to the side of the oven.  I slam the door in shock and scramble to get the over turned off.  I watch through the window as orange molten metal drips from the element to bottom of the stove.  I panic and yank the cord out of the outlet.  The orange changes to white and eventually dies down to the gray-black of a normal heating element.

Well that's just freakin' fabulous.  I've never ever seen a stove do that.  I've never even heard of a stove doing that.  All that 'scraping' noise was probably the sparks and electric zapping going on inside.  It was loud in the beginning!  I can't imagine what the inside looked like in those moments before I got there!

So now we'll need to go oven shopping.  This one is just shy of 20 years old, so it's probably time anyway, but geez!  I'm hoping at least the burners on top still work until we can go get a new one.  Hubby suggested going tonight when he gets home from work but bleah, it's just been such a crappy day that I really don't feel like going anywhere.  I work this weekend and the menfolk live out of the microwave when they have to fend for themselves so I'm thinking we should be okay until my next day off, and we can go then.

Once I sorted all that out and got my racing heart slowed down, it was back to fighting with the stupid computers.  I did eventually get the files to save and get them over to here to print them.  Things were looking up.  Then my sinuses kicked it into high gear and I'm feeling super miserable all over again.  I took some meds that don't appear to be doing anything.  I really just want to go back to bed and sleep for about five days.  I know I won't though.  I'm like a toddler fighting nap time.  So instead, I'll go work on the latest jigsaw puzzle we've got going, and watch some true crime shows on TV.

I hope your day is going much better than mine.

7 comments:

  1. Holy Moses! I'm glad you didn't get hurt (and that Casey & the house didn't either). What a pain. I'm sorry your day blew chunks. Dang, I love Caramello. A blown up one of those sucks!

    I'm sorry about your aching feet. Not to mention the sinuses, but it sounds like the feet have been a long term misery. :-///

    I hope tomorrow's better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turns out fixing the oven is cheap and easy. Woot!

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh Deb. What a crazy day! Glad there was no fire. I have never heard of that happening either! Hopefully you can find a new oven/stove that you like. But seriously... How fun is shopping for something like that? Adam and I need a new dishwasher and we squawked over that for 15 minutes then decided to leave it for another day. Thank you for showing us your Walmart wax. I went there today and nuttin'. :-( But I did get some new paint brushes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing we didn't rush out and buy a new one yesterday because a coworker told me today a replacement heating element is under $20 and can just be popped in easy peasy. Sure enough! I just looked online, found one and ordered. It'll be here by Friday and was indeed under $20! Wheee!

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you decided that you would return to blogging again. I love our interactions in the comments! They're my favorite part of blogging. :)

    Wow... sounds like you had a very intense day! I'm glad nobody got hurt in the oven fiasco!

    I'm the same way about 'quick' trips to any store. While I'm here I maaay as well check out the clearance.... and the arty craftsy stuff... oh and look at these nail polishes... oh how did all of this stuff end up in my cart? :D

    Even though we're still in the part of our lives where doing taxes is filling out one or two simple forms I dread it. This is the first year we've done it before April, and that's just because Michael had some free time during one of his shifts and got it out of the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the comments and interaction that keep me coming back. I realize I won't always get that on every post, but it's exciting when I do.

      Our taxes have usually been pretty straightforward and easy. We don't have any weird extra incomes or investments or special circumstances. And it's become SO easy since we started using tax software, yet I still hate it. lol

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. I take that back. The couple years I had my soap business made doing taxes a complete pain in the butt. That's one of the biggest reasons I'm never anxious to dive back into it when the urge to make soap strikes.

      ~Deb

      Delete