Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Natters - Feb. 9


There was drama at work this weekend.  There is talk of big changes coming.  And still, we're just in the same old grind as always, with things getting worse when we thought for sure we'd hit rock bottom already.  The only 'good' thing is that most of us are in the same boat, sharing the same feelings, and kinda keeping each other going until we see what's going to happen.  We're supposedly getting "substantial" raises soon but they keep preaching that "With more money comes more responsibility.  We're really going to be expecting people to step up their game."  Ha!  Right.  We're so short on people because they can't get anyone to stay.  They are supposedly having a hard time just getting people in the door, and then those people are all arrogant, lazy asses who quit the first time they're told to do something.  We now have people working twelve hour shifts seven days a week!  That is insane.  But yeah, they say big changes are coming, so we'll see.

I was thinking the other day that while I don't mind venting about work and stuff here in my Natters posts, I'd like to get back to talking about more fun things like I used to.  Things like my thoughts on TV shows I'm watching or books I'm reading.  Instead of waiting to only do a review at the end, I'd like to comment here and there along the way if it seems Nattersworthy.  Like the book I'm currently reading, Evermore, by Alyson Noel.  It's an older series but it's new to me.  I really don't know must about it at all.  I'm about 3/4 of the way through the first book of the series and liking it.  I was a little surprised to find it seems to be heading down a vampire path.  And of course, if a YA novel has vampires I can't help but compare it to my beloved Twilight.  In fact, I'm probably going to sidetrack in my reading after I finish Evermore, and just go reread Twilight again.  I'm having an urge to watch the movie again too.

I'm behind on watching The Shannara Chronicles.  We have last week's episode to watch and the new episode is on tonight.  I thought I was really getting into that show but apparently not if I'm a week behind.  LOL

Sleepy Hollow returned last week, now on Fridays.  I'm not sure how I feel about that show these days.  I do like it enough to keep watching but it's getting a little 'meh' now that they've gotten away from the original story so much.  I'm convinced that Abbie with somehow encounter Katrina and Henry over there in whatever otherworld she's lost in at the moment, and that will be her way back to the real world and will be the way that Katrina and Henry come back to the show.  I can't believe those two are really done.  They were too huge to the story!

Vikings returns next week for the, what, fifth season . . . ?  I'm excited for that although it's to the point them I'm fearing for Ragnar's life in every episode.  

Elsewhere in my life I've just been quietly enjoying simple things like working on jigsaw puzzles and watching true crime shows on the ID channel.  I haven't really been watching many videos on YouTube lately.  Staying away from the haul videos has killed my urge to be crafty and keeps me from wanting to go to Dollar Tree and Target's Dollar Spot.  (Although I did just see a video this morning showing some of the new Easter and spring things starting to show up in the Dollar Spot.)  I haven't been fretting about wax.  If I want some, I'll get some.  If I don't feel like melting, I won't melt anything.  I am getting to a point in my stash where I need to cut a bunch of things down to 1 oz. (ish) size so I can just grab something from the box and toss it in the warmer.  You know I hate cutting wax.  *whinydramaticsigh*  I've been sleeping a little better lately.  I'm very much looking forward to spring and summer, which still cracks me up because I used to NOT be a summer person.  I'm just sick of winter now in my old age.  Give me some cold and snow around Christmas to set the holiday mood, and then move that crap out.

So yeah, in general, just kinda hanging out and living the quiet life.  It seems to be working for me at the moment.

How are you?
Looking forward to anything?
Watching any of the same shows I am?

9 comments:

  1. Here's hoping they really mean it when they ay big raises are on the way!!!

    I caught the latest Sleepy Hollow by accident the other night, but fell asleep about 10 min in so can't really say what I thought! Probably had more to due with me getting over a small cold than commentary on the episode :)

    I went through a little crisis over the past week or so where I started countless books but couldn't get past page 10 or so. Finally I got into Stephen King's 11/22/63 which a friend insisted I read, and it's interesting so far. I'm not a giant King fan, just read things here and there if they sound intriguing, but this one seems different than his usual--no scary stuff so far, just a knotty "what if" story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone at work mentioned that book to me, said I should check it out. I had to look it up on Amazon just now to get the description. It does sound interesting!

      We watched last week's Shannara episode last night and it was so funny because we were inserting Lord of the Rings quotes during scenes when they're struggling on a mountain pass, and it was all working out perfectly. LOL
      (Have you watched Shannara at all?)

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. Yay for solidarity in rough times! I can't imagine those poor souls working 12/7 are very happy about their predicament. I hope things make a turn for the better soon for everyone involved!

    I think it's a good idea to comment on stuff as you're going through it! That way you can look back at the end and see how your thoughts changed as more information was given. I read Evermore back when it first came out 5 or 6 years ago and I remember thinking it was okay, but way to similar to Twilight for my tastes. I wanted something new, not what felt like another version of the same series I had just finished reading! I feel like a lot of YA novels in that time that had anything sci-fi/fantasy had some sort of Twilight-esque vampire aspects to it. I know that's not fair to these books as Stephenie Meyer used a lot of common werewolf/vampire tropes in her series and by no means created what we know vampires and werewolves to be, but it just felt too similar for me to enjoy each book on their own merit. I'm a mean book reader/reviewer, I know.

    I'm glad you're sleeping a little better! Progress is good, even if it's small. :) I'm looking forward to summer just because I'm bored of all the blah weather we've been having. Overcast, hazy, foggy, dark, gloomy, without the decency of giving us any snow.

    I'm not watching any shows currently. I have started throwing on some Korean-only shows from Netflix, but they don't come with subtitles so a lot of the shows are me looking at the screen with squinty eyes trying to figure out what's happening with each character. It's a fun exercise in reading body language, but I end up lost more often than not.

    My computer's PSU going out coincided nicely with a bad two week period I've been having. I don't know what it is but I'm not feeling 'it', whatever 'it' is. Today is the first day in a while where I feel halfway human, so that's a good thing I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was comparing every paranormal book to Twilight for a while, didn't matter if it was vampires or not. I just loved Twilight (first book only) so much that everything else paled by comparison. I'm a little better about it now, a little more accepting, but Evermore just has so many similarities that I had to go see when they each came out. I'm still liking Evermore though, anxious to see where this all goes. And I just got to the part where he says he's not a vampire. lol

      I hope your 'it' comes back soon. Can you get a show called Superstore on your Netflix? It's a dorky new sitcom, but we're enjoying it for it's dumb laughs.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. TV and bookish Natters rock. Really really hoping your managers and big bosses step up and make good on their words.

    You have me wanting to watch Vikings. And I will, right after I am done with Downton. I am almost caught up. I saw Vikings is on my Amazon Prime account. I might have to save it for after the girls go to bed though. Looks racy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do start watching! Definitely not something for the girls to see. It's a sex filled, violent show. Sometimes even the sex is violent. lol

      I think I liked the first season best because it's still about Ragnar's family loyalties. The first episode of the second season is my absolute favorite, so heartbreaking...I watched it four times in one day. After that it starts to venture out more into political stuff. It's not historically accurate either but then, there is debate whether a man named Ragnar ever really existed so I guess there is some room to play. hehe

      ~Deb

      Delete
  4. "and then move that crap out" made me lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the crabby old person I've become. I'll be wintering in Florida soon. LOL

      ~Deb

      Delete