Monday, February 15, 2016

Read - Evermore (The Immortals, Book One)

Evermore
(The Immortals, Book One)
by Alyson Noel
2009
301 pages

'After a horrible accident claimed the lives of her family, sixteen-year-old Ever Bloom can see people's auras, hear their thoughts, and know someone's entire life story by touching them. Going out of her way to avoid human contact and suppress her abilities, she has been branded a freak at her new high school―but everything changes when she meets Damen Auguste.

Damen is gorgeous, exotic and wealthy. He's the only one who can silence the noise and random energy in her head―wielding a magic so intense, it's as though he can peer straight into her soul. As Ever is drawn deeper into his enticing world of secrets and mystery, she's left with more questions than answers. And she has no idea just who he really is―or what he is. The only thing she knows to be true is that she's falling deeply and helplessly in love with him.
'

*** SPOILERS ***

This book has been on my wish list forever and I'm now finally getting around to reading it.  I went into it with fairly high hopes because I enjoyed author Alyson Noel's Soul Seekers series.  I was aware that a lot of people trash talk this series but I don't put much stock in reviews so that didn't bother me.  It bummed me out then, that I was disappointed in this book.  I did not hate it, and I did enjoy it enough to dive right into the next book in the series, but it was quite lacking.

A lot of things in the story made me think of Twilight, to the point where I had to double check which one actually came out first.  There were a lot of things leading us to believe it was another vampire story, which I was okay with, but then no, we discover he's not a vampire after all.  My hopes soared briefly, thinking maybe it was going to turn into a fallen angel story!  But no again.  So what the heck IS Damen?  I'm still not sure.  He's an alchemist from what I gathered.  But what gives an alchemist the powers of magic that this guy has?  Oh yeah, he figured out the key to . . . something.  I don't know, it was all pretty vague, and that's what made it disappointing.  Some things that seemed quite important were just breezed through or vaguely explained, almost like the author wanted something besides the vampires and angels that were all the rage, but couldn't quite come up with something complete.  The vagueness of what Damen is or can do might have its perks since it opens doors to all sorts of possibilities, but you know me and how I need rules and limits in my paranormal stories.  lol  And sure enough, Damen could do whatever was convenient for the story, which is always something I see as an easy cheat.

I liked main character Ever but I did get tired of her unpredictable back and forth feelings towards Damen.  One moment she's madly in love with him, and suddenly she's giving him the cold shoulder and doubting herself and his intentions.   Then we find out that Ever and Damen have been a couple time and time again, throughout many of her lifetimes.  Hmm, well THAT sounds familiar.  Remember the Fallen series, the story of Daniel and Luce who were cursed to always find each other in every lifetime but he's always have to watch her die?  Apparently that's happening in this series too.  And I got a little excited again, until it was all glossed over again and left vaguely open ended.  Hopefully (!!) this will be explained more in the rest of the series!

Damen is immortal and has somehow made Ever immortal in this book.  Why hadn't he done it before?  He's over 600 years old and they've apparently gone through several of her lifetimes together.  If he knew he was going to keep losing her, why didn't he make her immortal long ago?  I know it said something about him setting it up for her to choose, but had he ever attempted it before?  I'm not sure because, like I said, things were quite vague when it came to important details like that.

The whole things with Ever's dead little sister Riley was rather heartbreaking.  Riley hung around in ghost form for quite some time, visiting Ever and helping ease the pain of losing her whole family.  But eventually it was time for her to move on and that was a bit of a tearjerker.

There was quite a lot going on in this story, which was another bit of disappointment.  The Soul Seeker series kept a much better streamlined pace.  Then again, the Soul Seeker series came out later, so maybe the author had perfected her craft a bit more by then.  But even with the bit of extra baggage, this was still a pretty good book.  I just really wish some of the major points had been explained a lot better.  Hopefully they will be before the end of the series.

Oh! I forgot to mention . . . it was sickeningly annoying how many times we had to read Ever 'press my lips.' GAH!!!! 

4 comments:

  1. You pretty much captured my feelings on this book perfectly. It was a nice read, but too cliché in some areas and vague in others. It was off putting enough that I didn't bother with the rest of the series.
    Now that it's been a few years I might revisit it, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'll be letting you know what I think of the other books as I work my way through them. =)

      Have you read other things by this author?

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. I actually have been looking forward to this review as I didn't even finish the book and I wanted to see what I had missed. I hope the next books perk up a bit for you. I am still chugging along on Anna Karenina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not thrilled with the second book so far. I'm not very far into it though, so I'm hoping it gets better when the story really gets going.

      ~Deb

      Delete