Monday, February 15, 2016

Watched - Crimson Peak

Crimson Peak
2015
1 hr. 59 minutes
Rated R

'After marrying the charming and seductive Sir Thomas Sharpe, young Edith (Mia Wasikowska) finds herself swept away to his remote gothic mansion in the English hills. Also living there is Lady Lucille, Thomas' alluring sister and protector of her family's dark secrets. Able to communicate with the dead, Edith tries to decipher the mystery behind the ghostly visions that haunt her new home. As she comes closer to the truth, Edith may learn that true monsters are made of flesh and blood.'

I'd wanted to see this movie since I first saw commercials for it last year, and yesterday I finally got a chance.  What a disappointment it was!  Ugh!  All along I'd been thinking it was going to be this wonderfully creepy haunted house ghost story type thing, but nooooooo.  Turns out it's a 'con the rich girl out of her money' scandal, and there just happen to be ghosts in the house.  And it was all so predictable on top of it!  The acting was fine and lovely and all that.  I liked the characters.  (I'm not usually drawn to Tom Hiddleston but found him quite appealing in this.)  I suppose even the story was okay.  I was just so put off though, that it wasn't what it was hyped to be!

Bummer.

7 comments:

  1. Ew. I'm glad you watched this before I did, because I've been wanting to watch it as well. LOL is that mean? I knew the horror aspect was misleading in the trailers after reading Lauren's review of the movie, which made me put off checking it out, but I think this has helped me decide that it's probably not for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'd known it wasn't going to be a creepy house ghost story, I probably could have enjoyed it more. I don't think it was a horrible movie, just sooo not what I was expecting. You should still watch it, tell us what you think anyway since you won't be going into it mislead. hehe

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. This movie was definitely marketed wrong to its detriment. The actors and director desperately tried to pull people in the right direction on talk shows, but the damage had already been done, unfortunately. I'm sorry you didn't like it! But, did you know all of the practical makeup was not CGI?! That was really impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't watch talk shows or anything so I still wouldn't have known. Why should you be sorry that I didn't like it? I mean, it wasn't your movie. lol

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. I just meant sucks when you are excited for something and it turns out to be something you didn't enjoy. To add insult to injury, it wasn't what you expected, which is a double bummer.

      Delete
  3. Now that you cleared up the plot I bet I could enjoy this as I really can't do traditional horror anymore. I am a sissy and it puts me on edge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watch it, watch it, watch it. And then tell me what you thought. =)

      ~Deb

      Delete