Monday, April 25, 2016

Read - Demigods & Magicians (Percy Jackson)

Demigods & Magicians
(Percy And Annabeth Meet The Kanes)
by Rick Riordan
2016
187 pages

'Magic, monsters, and mayhem abound when Percy Jackson and Annabeth Chase meet Carter and Sadie Kane for the first time. Weird creatures are appearing in unexpected places, and the demigods and magicians have to team up to take them down. As they battle with Celestial Bronze and glowing hieroglyphs, the four heroes find that they have a lot in common--and more power than they ever thought possible. But will their combined forces be enough to foil an ancient enemy who is mixing Greek and Egyptian incantations for an evil purpose? Rick Riordan wields his usual storytelling magic in this adrenaline-fueled adventure.'

I'm not sure why I grabbed this off the shelf and tossed it into my cart so quickly while shopping.  It's just a small book, only 187 pages, made up of three short stories.  I don't usually get into all of the companion books and things that come out along with series that I like.  And after I got it home and was looking at it a little more I realized, duh, these are the same short stories that were already included in some of the Percy Jackson and Kane Chronicles books.

The Son of Sobek is when Percy first meets Carter Kane, and was included as a bonus in The Serpent's Shadow (Kane Chronicles, Book three).

The Staff of Serapis is Annabeth first meeting Sadie Kane, and was included as a bonus in The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus, Book Three).

The Crown of Ptolemy is Percy and Annabeth meeting up with Carter and Sadie to defeat a crazy dude who is trying to make himself a god, and was included as a bonus in The House of Hades (Heroes of Olympus, Book Four).

I'd never read those bonus short stories at the time so I went ahead and read them now, in this book I didn't really need to buy.  lol  I kinda like the book itself though.  It's smaller, only 5.5 x 7 inches, with deckled edge pages.  It reminds me of a spellbook or journal or something.  It will look cool on the shelf along with the rest of the Percy Jackson books.  There are even eight pages of artwork in it.

Since the stories are just short, there isn't much to review.  They are written in the usual sassy humor of the Percy Jackson books.  Our Greek heroes and our Egyptian heroes must find ways to work together to defeat the threats of evil in each of the stories.  The stories are just quick servings of the things we already know and love about the worlds Rick Riordan has created.

There are also previews of the new Magnus Chase book, which introduces us to the Norse gods, and a preview of the soon to be released Trials of Apollo series, which I'm quite anxious to get as well.

Are you a fan of Percy Jackson?
Do you enjoy these types of little extra stories?

2 comments:

  1. I do enjoy Percy! And before you told me, I had no idea there were extra stories included in the books. I normally read everything in the back but maybe because I was racing to catch up with you on the Heroes of Olympus series I just passed right through them. I do remember reading them with a sense of urgency. I want to read the Apollo book and skip the Egyptian ones but a student told me that the Apollo one is going to include ALL the other kids and that I need to read the Egyptian series too. Doh. But currently reading Loki's Wolves. Then I am going to start Throne of Glass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know if you'd have to read the Kane Chronicles. I'd think there would be enough info included to know who they are and what their deal is. But if you do, there are only three books and they're fairly short. I've only read the first one so far. It didn't interest me enough to continue right away but I will eventually get back to it.

      ~Deb

      Delete