Monday, April 25, 2016

Watched - Star Wars 1-7

This is probably going to really date me but I saw the original Star Wars in the theater when it originally came out.  I never remembered too much about it because my friend and I spent more time running back and forth getting drinks and snacks than actually watching the movie.  Over the many years since then I had seen bits and pieces of that one again, along with bits and pieces of the next two that had come out.  When the next trilogy came around, the prequels, we did go see the first two in the theater because we'd thought Ty and Casey would be into them.  And now that there are once again new ones coming out, I thought maybe it was time I finally sit down and watch them all, completely and in order.  Luckily, Netflix actually had them all available, so hubby and I have spent the past week and half or two watching Star Wars.

I thought I'd do quicky summaries instead of a post for each movie.
Keep in mind, these are the thoughts of a very casual fan.  Space and sci-fi is really not my area of interest, so these were watched with the most innocent and clueless eyes.  lol

Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace
1999

'Two Jedi Knights escape a hostile blockade to find allies and come across a young boy who may bring balance to the Force, but the long dormant Sith resurface to reclaim their old glory.'

This is the one I remembered the most about.  I think we actually saw this twice in the theater.  And this is probably still my favorite of all of the movies so far.  I really liked Qui-Gon Jinn and his Jedi-ness.  I liked little Anakin and seeing the beginnings of his story.


Episode 2 - Attack of the Clones
2002

'Ten years after initially meeting, Anakin Skywalker shares a forbidden romance with Padmé, while Obi-Wan investigates an assassination attempt on the Senator and discovers a secret clone army crafted for the Jedi.'

We saw this one in the theater too but I didn't remember nearly as much about it.  Once again, Anakin's part of the story is what I liked most, seeing how and why he progresses down that path to becoming Darth Vader.

Episode 3 - Revenge of the Sith
2005

'During the near end of the clone wars, Darth Sidious has revealed himself and is ready to execute the last part of his plan to rule the Galaxy. Sidious is ready for his new apprentice, Lord Vader, to step into action and kill the remaining Jedi. Vader, however, struggles to choose the dark side and save his wife or remain loyal to the Jedi order.'

This might make me a creepy old lady but dang Anakin was hot in this one!  This would have been my favorite of all the movies but the end absolutely killed it for me.  Chopping off Anakin's arm and both legs and letting him catch fire?  A bit over-the-top dumb, no?!  And then pretty much rebuilding him as a cyborg?  I liked Darth Vader better when I thought he was just a mysterious and powerful human.  But anyway, watching Anakin's continued struggle was heartbreaking.
Episode 4 - A New Hope
1977

'Luke Skywalker joins forces with a Jedi Knight, a cocky pilot, a wookie and two droids to save the galaxy from the Empire's world-destroying battle-station, while also attempting to rescue Princess Leia from the evil Darth Vader.'

And now we're back to the ancient original Star Wars.  I knew this would be cringe-worthy because of the now-cheesy special effects and bad acting but wow, I had no idea how bad it would be.  LOL
It was interesting to see how they tied things together, and amusing to see the powerful Darth Vader seemingly dress down to a more simple look.  I didn't really care too much about the story or the characters at this point.

Episode 5 - The Empire Strikes Back
1980

'After the rebels have been brutally overpowered by the Empire on their newly established base, Luke Skywalker takes advanced Jedi training with Master Yoda, while his friends are pursued by Darth Vader as part of his plan to capture Luke.'

This one bored me to death.  I honestly dozed off at one point.  There were so many annoying things that it was hard for me to even keep track of the story.  The snarky banter between Leia and Han got old a long time ago.  Luke seemed to learn the ways of the Jedi in about a day.  Yoda  was like some insane little creepy thing, not at all like the calm, wise elder we'd come to know in the first three episodes.  And Chewbacca's constant whiny voice became SO freaking annoying!  And I had to laugh because a coworker had told me this was his favorite of all the episodes.  Gah!
Episode 6 - Return of the Jedi
1983

'After rescuing Han Solo from the palace of Jabba the Hutt, the rebels attempt to destroy the second Death Star, while Luke struggles to make Vader return from the dark side of the Force.'

This one bored me too, and I felt myself nodding off again.  The only thing that really interested me was the smaller part of the story where Darth Vader might have actually still had some internal struggles in his choice of alignment.  I did not realize that Darth Vader dies in this one?!  That caught me totally off guard!  And it would have been so much better if, when they removed his mask, he hadn't looked like some puffy, wimpy, ugly thing.  What the heck was that?!  Jedi Luke did not compare to Jedis  of old at all.  Qui-Gon Jinn seemed wise and powerful in everything he did and said.  Luke just seemed like some dorky young man who could do parlor tricks once in a while.
Episode 7 - The Force Awakens
2015

'Three decades after the defeat of the Galactic Empire, a new threat arises. The First Order attempts to rule the galaxy and only a ragtag group of heroes can stop them, along with the help of the Resistance.'

The newest of all the episodes, I almost didn't watch this one after how bored I'd become with the previous two, especially after Darth Vader died.  I was like "What's left to care about?!"  But a couple people insisted I keep watching, and I must say, I'm glad I did.  I really liked this one!  I liked it because we're back to better special effects and whatnot, and also because the story is all new.  Yes, we did have some old familiar characters, but the new characters steal the show.  The dark side is still trying to gain control but it's all new players so it was interesting.  The 'new Darth Vader,' Kylo Ren is kinda cool.  I really liked the new girl, Rey.  I'm curious to see what her backstory is, who her Jedi parent will be.  Although only in the movie for a very short and silent time, Luke Skywalker looks cooler now in his old age than he ever did in his 'prime.'  And what's up with Carrie Fisher's (Leia) face?!  It looked frozen, like there was bad plastic surgery or botox in her past.  But yes, I'm glad I watched and I'm actually looking forward to the next episode, which comes out . . . next year?
------------------------------------------------
Some lump sum thoughts . . . 

While I liked the newer ones because everything just *looks* better, I think the stories in the newer ones are better.  Episodes 1 and 2 seemed to really show more of what was going on in the galaxy and on the different planets, showing more of the struggles against this rising dark force.  The stories seemed more solid and serious.  The original trilogy, the older movies, seemed more like adventure romps full of cheesy dialogue and bad acting.  It seemed like they were just hopping form one sticky situation to another and I never really got a feeling that there were bigger problems in the world beyond them trying to rescue each other.  And then in the newest everything shifted back to the more solid story-telling again.

Whether sci-fi space, medieval fantasy, or teen wizardry, the struggle between good and bad, light and dark is the same.  Seeing Christopher Lee as Count Dooku, in his battle for power, was so similar to Christopher Lee as Saruman in Lord of the Rings in his battle for power.  Anakin's struggles could be compared to Harry Potter's.  I liked that about these movies, that even though they were all futuristic spacey sci-fi, the stories and the struggles were still relatable.

Oh!  I knew the older trilogy was remastered but I didn't realize they were altered!
At the end of Return of the Jedi, the 'ghosts' of Obi Wan, Yoda, and Anakin are seen looking over Luke.  And it was Hayden Christensen's Anakin they showed!  What was it originally?!
There was another spot earlier on, maybe not even in Return of the Jedi, where I'd wondered if they'd gone back an altered things but I can't remember now what that part was.  But then seeing Hayden Christensen in that part at the end really had me wondering what other little things might have been tweaked?!

Oh yeah, one more funny little thing.
I was laughing as we watched either Episode 5 or 6, and said "I can't believe such a strong following was ever created when it was this cheesy crap that started it all."  I mean, yeah, back then the effects were amazing and the story was probably pretty darn interesting.  But when you now have the newer ones, much more solid in every way, and look back at the older ones, it really is amazing that huge following ever took off.  lol

I'm still not a huge Star Wars fan because space and sci-fi just aren't my thing, but I am glad to have finally worked my way through these movies.

Are you a Star Wars fan?
Which episode is your favorite?

4 comments:

  1. Great reviews! I have never been interested in Star Wars as a whole, and then when I found out it was just supposed to be one movie based on a play Lucas wrote and then built and spiraled from there I did not feel drawn to it. I may watch it now that you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Space just isn't my thing but I've always been somewhat fascinated by the devoted following Star Wars has. I'm glad I've watched them all finally.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. Nice reviews! I'm on the fence about the series. I grew up with the prequel trilogy and saw each of them in the theaters. I did not know that Anakin would eventually turn into Darth Vader (who was that anyway? I didn't even know there was a trilogy before this one... these were 1-3!) and it made me particularly vested in his battle between light and dark. Imagine my surprise when my Dad said he knew this would happen.
    Once episode 3 came out, I made a point to watch all 6 episodes on VHS in our living room. At the time I loved the series and how each trilogy connected itself to the other. Now I'm kind of 'meh' about the whole series. That doesn't mean I didn't get nostalgic goosebumps at a lot of the stuff in Episode 7!
    Besides Episode 7, I'd say my favorite is Episode 1. It was my introduction into this universe and I feel like it was a good introduction for a newer audience. I know the prequel trilogy isn't a favorite of die-hard Star Wars fans, but they can take their complaints and shove it. 4-6 were pretty cringe worthy, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! In talking with some diehard fans at work, I was amazed to find they all prefer 4-6, with The Empire Strikes Back being their favorite. I thought that was the suckiest one of all! Oh, what does this noob know anyway?

      ~Deb

      Delete