Sunday, May 8, 2016

Haul - House of Usher Wax / Titanic Box

I knew pretty much nothing about the wax vendor House of Usher when waxy bloggy friend Julie pointed out to me in March that they had a Titanic themed box.  I love Titanic!  I really didn't need any more wax but I was sucked in by the idea of Titanic, and I ordered.

I knew the box was a mix of wax and bath/body products because they were working with another vendor on this.  Other than that, I really didn't know anything else about what I'd be getting.  I did not know what types of products or scents or anything.

So let's go through this Titanic themed box together!

Iceberg - 'Spicy orange and cherry notes with hints of toasted almond, clove, and cinnamon.'
Of course you have to have an iceberg, and how cute is this tart?!  I would have thought it would be a minty scent, but no.  I can't even really describe this scent.  It is not fall-like at all, like I thought it would be after reading the description.  The cherry and almond notes are not strong at all.  I don't get an orange note at all.  It must be clove I'm smelling, with very soft cherry-almond hints.  I'm undecided on this one.

Molly Brown - 'Earl Gray tea, roses, and tea cakes.'
Another hard to describe one.  I do get a rose note right off the bat, but there is a sort of warmth, maybe from hints of tea cake.  I'm not a floral fan, definitely not a rose fan, so this one is not for me.

Cafe Parisien - 'Blackberry jam, white cake, and robust coffee.'
This one is very interesting.  At first I didn't like it because the notes seemed to battle against each other.  I'm maybe coming around to it now though.  The blackberry jam is the strongest note, keeping the coffee notes toned down and mellow in the background, and the white cake serves as a quiet buffer between the two.  I'm curious how this will be when warmed.

Unsinkable - 'Top notes of Bergamot, golden peach, pink guava, exotic berries, and apricot, with hints of muguet petals, mimosa, peony, jasmine, and bottom notes of shimmering vanilla, dulce de leche, sandalwood, and cashmere musk.'
Well then!  That's a busy blend!  With all the things I don't like in there I was quite sure I'd gag and run from this one but really, on cold sniff all I get at the moment is a nice vanilla musk.  I do get a tiny hint of sandalwood, but none of the other things.  I'm not sure how I feel about this for home fragrance though, so I will probably skip this one too.

Mr. Andrews - 'Fresh purple violets mixed with sweet pink sugar.'
Nope.  Way too floral and pretty for me.  And I don't know why Mr. Andrews would smell like this.

1340 Pennsylvania St. - 'Fresh strawberries, sliced and macerated in sugar, spooned over freshly baked biscuits, topped with orange whipped cream.'
A lot of strawberry with hints of creamcicle.  It's more of a fresh picked type strawberry, not the sweet jam type that I like.  Not much of a fan of this one either.

Lifeboat No. 6 - 'Salty ocean notes and fresh rain mingle with Lily of the Valley, jasmine, leafy greens, pine, and muskans fresh oranges.'
(Muskans?)  Very aquatic and ozone-y.  Not my style.

Half Full - 'Sweet orange slices on top of a full glass of lime margaritas rimmed with salt, butter cookie with rich, yummy sweet frosting dripping with sweet cherries, candied fruits mixed with loads of confectioner's sugar and sweet sugar crystals and sprinkles, hints of bubble gum, gooey marshmallow cream and vanilla taffy.'
Again, an awfully busy blend here.  And it's funny because it smells lemony to me but there is no lemon in that description.  It reminds me of creamy lemon bubble gum.  A very sweet, candy type scent.  I do like lemon but I'm well over the super sweet candy scent craze.

The mention of bath and body products being included in this Titanic themed box had me thinking it would be soap and lotion.  Sadly, I was wrong.  There is a hair detangler which I don't need and don't know the scent of, a lip balm in strawberry blend scent, and perfume oil that leaked all over and is described as 'Peach pieces and bits of rhubarb, rosebuds, tea leaves, and marigold.'  Since it leaked, I'll probably just toss it.

I ordered this themed box on March 1.  The website had said at that time that boxes would "ship in April."  I figured ok okay, since Titanic sank April 14/15 the box would ship around there.  Mid-month came and went, and on April 22 I emailed, asking when the boxes would ship.  I was told April 28.  I received a shipping notice on May 2 and received the box, finally, on May 5.  Apparently there was updated information in the Facebook group but I am not in that group and think this once again shows why vendors should not assume everyone lives on Facebook.

I paid $30 for the box and $7 for shipping.  It arrived in a decent sized box with wiggle room, the items loosely packed with blue crinkle paper.  The perfume oil was in a tiny ziploc but it did still leak out onto other things.  The hair detangler is a small 1 or 2 oz. spritz bottle.  There are 6 scent shots and 2 clamshells.  I don't know, does that seem like $30 worth?

I'm bummed that I don't like most of these scents but I knew I was taking that risk by not seeing any list of things included.  The scents are not bad, they are just not my style.  I'm also bummed that the scents seem to have little to do with anything related to their name or Titanic.  Mr. Andrews smells like flowers?  I would have thought it would be cologne, leather, tobacco or something.  Half Full, a life boat of desperate survivors smells like candy and fun?  It's just a pet peeve of mine when scents have nothing to do with their names, and there is another much more well known vendor who is notorious for that.

So yeah, while I was super excited about the idea of a Titanic themed box, I was hugely disappointed that these scents and products were not for me.

Are you a fan of House of Usher wax?
Have you ordered any of their themed boxes?

6 comments:

  1. Sorry that ship sunk.... Again. I was really hoping you would be in love, but I agree, the scents do not match up. At all. Bummer. It had potential.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did indeed. That iceberg tart is still cute though.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry most of the scents were not for you! That's a bummer. I'm a huge Titanic fan as well; it was the first VHS tape I had as a kid and I must have watched it well over 100 times. I have heard good things about House of Usher but have never ordered. A friend sent me one of their tarts; it was a Christmas themed one Scrooge something or other; it was a nice spice/berry/cider type scent, decent throw. Most of the scents you didn't care for from your sampler sound right up my alley! Let me know if you'd like to do a package swap and I can send some goodies your way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will get back to you. I offered it to someone else first and I'm still waiting to hear back. Good to know these things will find a home one way or another. =)

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. I've been pretty pleased with HOU to date, but the Titanic box was a little too floral for me also. I got lemonade from the half full clam, so you aren't the only one getting lemon from it. I've found that I really have to melt her stuff to really get the scent, cold isn't always accurate.

    I think the iceberg one is my favorite from this box - scent wise - except - mine doesn't look like an iceberg. It looks like a boat. And since the bottom part of that tart is blue, it will look like that boat is sinking into the water as it melts. On cold, that one smells like Coke to me. Which is nothing like the description, but my nose is stupid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who found the scent choices odd. That's cute about your Iceberg having a little boat. And smells like Coke, huh? I'll have to go back and sniff again, see if it reminds me of Coke.

      I don't think I've had any House of Usher wax before this. I know I haven't ordered, but maybe one of my waxy friends has shared something with me at one point. Not sure.

      ~Deb

      Delete