Thursday, June 23, 2016

Haul - Dessa's Homespun Scents / Fall & Winter Must-Haves

As mentioned recently, I placed a couple orders for fall and winter scents.  People told me I should post the hauls now instead of waiting till fall so they'd have time to order too if they see anything they like.  The first of my orders arrived yesterday, so let's take a look at some of my favorite seasonal scents from Dessa's Homepsun Scents!

Pumpkin-mallow Bake - 'We have blended our Pumpkin Butter Bake with our sweet marshmallow and baked to perfection. A Homespun Original House Blend.'
I had this last year and seem to remember loving it.  This is rich and deep, sort of a buttery, almost caramel-y pumpkin bakery scent, creamy and smooth.

Pumpkin Ginger Streusel - 'Fresh pumpkin spiced with Cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, vanilla, sugar and fresh ginger and topped with a crumbly streusel topping. Super sweet!'
Oh my gosh, this one is so good, so perfect for fall.  I remember falling in love with this one last year too.  This one is spicier and not quite as rich as the previous one.  This one is more of a traditional pumpkin spice scent than the other too.
 
Pumpkin Maple - 'A delicious blend of our Pumpkin Pie and Butter Maple Syrup. A Homespun Original House Blend.'
I think this is the only new-to-me one I chose for this order.  A strong maple richness whacks your nostrils first and then that familiar spiced pumpkin type scent comes racing up behind it.  The spice is toned down by the sweetness of the maple but spice haters might still be leery.  This is nice, but I prefer the other two, at least so far on cold sniff.

Cranberries & Cornbread - 'We have blended our traditional tart cranberries with our old fashioned cornbread and baked them together in a cast iron skillet. Delicious. A Homespun Original House Blend.
This one reminds me so much of Thanksgiving Day.  Oh it's just perfect.  The spark of bright, tart cranberry is there along with the warmer bakery notes and just the tiniest hint of spice.  It's happy and cozy, and oh so comforting.
 
Harvest Festival - 'The essence of the autumn harvest season, juicy red apples, tart cranberries and warm cinnamon leaf. A B&BW “Harvest Gathering” type duplication.'
 Even though my notes from last year say this was way too weak, I'm giving it another chance.  The scent is just that good.  I like this type for earlier fall because it's a little lighter, brighter, juicier with those apples and cranberries.  The cinnamon warms it up a bit and makes wonderful for fall, although I can also see this for a Christmastime scent.  I just hope it's stronger for me this year.
 
Cranberry Spice - 'Fresh tart cranberries are accented with cinnamon and spice. The perfect traditional holiday scent.'
A well done spiced cranberry scent is an absolute must-have for me in later fall.  I was thrilled to find this one last year after so many others were too tart and bright for me.  This is a warm cranberry scent, almost like a warm punch type drink.  The spice is not at all harsh, just warming.  Love it!

Cinnamon Garland - 'Classic Christmas - crisp fresh bayberry infused with spicy ground cinnamon. So warm and inviting. A Homespun Original House Blend.'
I remember starting to melt this one last fall because I felt like cinnamon was a good fall scent, but then it instantly screamed Christmas to me and I stopped and saved it till later. Right now on cold sniff it doesn't thrill me much. Remembering how much I liked it last year though, I'm not too concerned at the moment. It's a 'craft store at Christmas' type scent, a wonderful holiday mood setter.

Home For The Holidays - 'Sit by the fire on a cold winter’s night and take in the scents around you. A wonderful blend of fresh wintery balsam pine, Macintosh apples and tart spiced Cranberries fill the air. A Homespun Original House Blend.'
Another one that I really liked for Christmas, this one has that hint of pine to *really* make it Christmas-y. This one is not quite as 'craft store at Christmas'ish because it lacks the spice notes. The apples and cranberries mix equally to make it a brighter type of Christmas scent. I don't really get a smoky note (that mention of sitting by the fire) but I remember it did come through ever so slightly once warmed last year.
 
 Country Christmas - 'An old fashioned country Christmas - Cozy up to the spicy fragrance of clove, apple, cinnamon & oranges - surround yourself in nostalgia. Similar to Gold Canyon's Cozy Christmas.'
This might be my favorite of the Christmas scents so far. Cinnamon Garland is a dry type spice scent. Home For The Holidays has that hint of pine. This one is like a warm spiced punch again, spiced and juicy. Bringing that orange into the mix sweetens it up a bit but this is still a warm scent.
 
Mulberry Spice - 'A wintery classic. Fruity mulberry and a hint of woodsy spices. A Homespun Original House Blend.'
I ordered this again because I remember liking it, but as I smell it now (cold sniff) it seems almost too sweet and candy-like to be any type of fall or Christmas scent for me. I'll hang onto it though and melt it at some point this holiday season. It is a darker berry type scent, slightly warm from the hint of spice, but still very sweet.

Those are the scents I ordered. Dessa was generous and also included several extras. I love when vendors include samples or freebies because it's a way of introducing you to scents you might not otherwise try. I especially love when they try to keep in line with what you've ordered. Like, I ordered all fall/winter scents, and Dessa continued that with the extras she chose to include.

Thank you, Dessa!
 
 Pumpkin Paradise - 'Looking for pumpkin without the spice. Fresh pumpkin puree and sweet cream are baked in a buttery pie crust. A Homespun Original House Blend.'
I don't think I had this one last year and I don't know why. Maybe it was a new scent, added later? I'm happy to have it now though! It's a very nice pumpkin pie scent but, like it says, without the spice. The pumpkin is muted a bit by the cream, and the bakery notes from the crust are easily noticeable. Spice haters, you CAN still have a pumpkin pie scent this fall!
 
Autumn Campfire - 'The essence of fall - cinnamon, cloves, pumpkin pie, warmed apples, gingerbread, hot cider and a touch of marshmallow toasted over a campfire. A Homespun Original House Blend.'
I had this one last year but can't find a Melted post for it so maybe I passed it on to someone else. This strikes me as an early fall scent, like a mix of all the activities as summer winds down and school starts again while the days cool off. There are sweet notes, cider notes, touches of spice, and a slight smoky note. While I'm not a fan of smoky scents in general I think there is enough going on in here to still keep it interesting for me.
 
Huckleberry Lane - 'Grandma’s homemade fresh wild huckleberry preserves. This is both sweet and tart and will make your mouth water.'
This is another sweet one, almost Kool Aid-like, but with a tiny hint of warmth. I'll probably melt this one during the summer yet, since it doesn't ring any fall or winter bells for me.
 
Banana Nut Bread - 'Freshly baked and loaded with fresh bananas, brown sugar, nuts and a touch of ginger.'
I've had this one before and it's a really nice, familiar homey scent. This is good for any time of year but it's warmth and coziness work well for fall and cold winter days too. And I still love the mason jar shaped tarts!
 
 That is my fall and winter scents order from Dessa's Homespun Scents. Not a huge order by any means. I was after scents I knew I liked. Dessa's scent shots cost $1.75 each. They are listed as 'approximately 1.4 oz.' on the site. I'm happy to report that most of mine were 1.6 oz., a couple at 1.5 oz., and only one was 1.4 oz. (The shaped samples do not count.) Shipping was $9.70, and the order came in a Priority - Regional A box. It does say on the website that shipping overages of a dollar or more are refunded. I'm skeptical that this package actually cost $9.70 but I did not get any refund so maybe it was within that dollar range. I mean, there were not that many tarts in this order, and I've sent heavier boxes for much less. But whatever, I know shipping costs can be the trickiest part of indie vendor shopping. I placed my order on Wednesday, June 15, and received it Wednesday, June 22. Heck yeah! Love that quick TAT!!!

I'm glad to have my fall and winter favorites on hand now, and I will set them aside with the rest of my fall/winter stash and look forward to the day The Fall Slut emerges from her slumber to let the fall scent melting begin.

Are you a Dessa's fan?
Did you find any fall favorites in this haul?
If not, what are some of your fall and winter must-haves?

4 comments:

  1. Nice Dessa's haul! Glad I waited to order so I can copy you. I laughed because... yes... you gave me that Autumn Campfire and I loved it! I will be ordering that one again for sure. Surprised to not see Winter Solstice in there. But then Sunnee did gift you that one. Dessa is very sweet and I love supporting kind vendors! And vendors who can give me my spice fix. I NEED MY SPICE FIX!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I have the Winter Solstice from Sunnee and I also found another one in my stash of leftovers from last year.

      I hope you order! Can't wait to see what you get!

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. The Pumpkin Maple sounds really, really good!! Two of my favorite fragrances!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, will you be ordering?

      ~Deb

      Delete