Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Haul - Scentsationals (Wax)

I've long been a fan of Scentsationals wax melts but I don't often order directly from the website.  They announced they'd placed twenty new scents on the site recently though, and I couldn't resist the urge to place a small order.  Who knows if these scents will ever show up at my local Walmart?  I wanted to be sure I had a chance to try them.

So let's take a look at the new scents I ordered.

Tosca Pear - 'Home-made preserves blending pure sugarcane with sweet, ripe Williams pear complimented by Anjou and Golden Delicious apple spiced with cardamom.'
The sugar is what hits me first on cold sniff.  The pear and apple blend together so that neither is recognizable on its own.  It's not really spicy but there is a bit of warmth to the scent.  This is nothing like I expected and I'll have to hold off on my opinion until after I've melted some.  I don't hate it, but it's not doing much for me either.
 
Citrus Pineapple - 'Juicy mouthwatering pineapple, ripe sun kissed strawberries, mingle over sweet milky coconut & white jasmine. Making the perfect array of fruity-florals.'
Yep, another pineapple scent.  If you remember my other recent wax haul you'll remember I chose an interesting pineapple-vanilla scent.  I chose this one because the pineapple-strawberry blend sounded interesting.  As it turns out, this is more of a coconut-floral scent.  I don't really detect any pineapple or strawberry on cold sniff.  Luckily, there is more coconut than jasmine so I'll probably still give this a try.
 
Sugared Raspberry - 'The irresistible aroma of tart sun-ripened raspberries stirred with sweet sugarcane juice and heaped over a slow churned vanilla ice cream.'
 I thought this would be way more creamy than it is, with that 'slow churned vanilla ice cream' in there.  Nope, there is something like a musk note right off the bat, making this like grownup fruit scent.  It reminds me of some of the darker or more 'evening' type scents from Bath & Body Works, like Dark Kiss or Forever Red . . . those types.  This is nothing like I thought it would be.

Flaming Orange - 'Juicy mandarin, sweet tangerine and ripe Valencia orange blend with tangy lemon zest and juicy notes of glittering island pineapple.'
I really took a chance on this one.  I'd hoped it would be a nice bright, happy, juicy scent.  It's almost there, and it's not bad, but it's a little more zesty than I'd hoped.
 
Warm Maple Butter - 'Sticky drops of Vermont maple and deep, powdery honey blended with buttery vanilla.'
This one is yummy.  It's deep and rich, more buttery than maple.  It's a very homey, comforting scent.
 
Almond Brandy Pudding - 'Almond milk splashed with aged brandy and stirred with salted caramel, roasted almond silvers, Kenyan coffee and Madagascar vanilla bean baked into a creamy custard pudding.'
Another one I thought would be creamier because of the custard.  On cold sniff I do get a distinct almond note but there are a lot of other notes that keep the almond from being too pushy.  There is a slight coffee note, and something quite 'dry' that I would almost call 'nutty.'  I don't think I like this one.  Maybe I'll melt a couple cubes just to see if it changes at all when warmed.
 
Salted Caramel Apple - 'Juicy wedges of fresh picked apple stirred with cinnamon fused caramel blending into a sugar sweet vanilla cupcake batter.'
 THIS is the one that made me decide to order in the first place.  I already know that Scentsationals / Better Homes & Gardens has my favorite caramel apple scents so at first I just kinda skimmed over this one.  Then I noticed it mentioned cinnamon and cupcake and I was like "Whaaaaat?"  So I had to get it.  It does not disappoint, at least on cold sniff.  There was a strong salty caramel note at first but the juicy apple notes quickly swooped in an sweetened it up.  I don't really get any cupcake or bakery note, and the cinnamon doesn't stand out on its own, but there is enough extra going on to keep this from being just a simple caramel apple scent.  This should be excellent come fall.

As you can see, there are a few scents I don't like.  That's the downfall of ordering from the site.  In the store you can sniff and know right away whether you like it or not.  However, the stores can be limited on what scents ever get there.  I know my local Walmart only ever has a fraction of the scents that can be found on the Scentsationals website.  But still, I know Scentsationals is reliably strong, and I know I'll be able to share these scents that *I* didn't like with other wax fans who will like them.

I placed this order on Wednesday, June 1 and received it on Monday, June 6.  Love that TAT!!!  Shipping was $5.99.

If you are a Scentsationals fan, do you order from the website or just wait and see what your local Walmart has to offer?  Have you found any absolute favorites?

2 comments:

  1. Nice! That caramel apple one, yum! I have ordered once online and loved the oud one I got. I need to pop back on and order again. They have such great diverse scents. Too bad that raspberry one was a let down but it sounds pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to know how their rewards system works on the website. I've placed four orders now and my rewards balance still shows zero balance. What the heck? We have to order thousands of dollars worth, or what? (There is no info on the site about it, and they never answered my email asking about it either.)

      It's funny too, for as much as I claim to love Scentsationals, the ones I pick from the site sure seem to backfire for me. LOL

      ~Deb

      Delete