Monday, July 11, 2016

Natters - July 11 / Mom's Surgery


You all probably know by now that my mom had surgery today.  For those who don't know, my mom had hip replacement surgery today.  She had her other hip done two summers ago.  (Or was it three?)  Anyway, my brother and sister-in-law took her to the hospital early this morning.  I worked today and it kept me busy enough that I wasn't constantly thinking about the surgery and worrying.  I finally got a text from my brother about 2:30pm saying everything was fine.  I asked if they got to see her, was she awake, coherent?  Last time she'd been so loopy and sleepy she hadn't even remembered I was there.  My brother said yes, she was awake and they visited for a bit then she fell asleep so they went to lunch.  When they got back she was awake again so they visited a bit more but then she fell asleep again so they headed for home.  I'm glad to hear everything went okay but it's really going to be tomorrow when we start to find out how things are going, when they get her up and start to get her moving again.  Who knows, maybe they'll try that this evening already since her surgery was early this morning.

Work was crazy because starting the machines up after a week of being down is always chaotic.  Nothing wants to run right and you have to get all the kinks worked out of things.  Having hot and humid weather didn't help things either.  Because it's a factory and most of the machines require steam, it's impossible to keep the place cool.  You really have to pace yourself in your work, sneak away to stand by a fan when you can, make a point to drink extra water.  They do supply Gatorade on these hot days but it's a watered down version made from a powder mix.  Bleah.

I'm trying to cool off now that I'm home.  I inhaled two ice cream sandwiches for supper.  lol
And now I'm heading up to bed to read and relax in front of some fans.

Short and sweet post but hey, at least I'm still posting.

9 comments:

  1. I thought it was just last summer. ?! Def not 3 summers ago (that was the summer we moved here).

    You need to tell Brad I'm not the only one with that kind of diet.

    Ick hot work. Don't pass out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ice cream sandwich supper? Hey, it's dairy so it's building strong bones. Ha, actually I don't even prefer ice cream sandwiches but they were quick and cold last night when I really needed that.

      It had to be two summers ago then. It's funny regardless, because she absolutely swore she'd never go through that again, and all the nurses and therapists just laughed and told her she'd change her mind once she got to feeling better.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad she did.

    I heart ice cream sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones I had were Kemps - Chocolate Chip. The addition of those little chips made all the difference for me. I'll need to see what other lovely varieties the world has to offer. Do you have a preferred brand or flavor?

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. Oh, and Mom's goal is to get rid of the walker and just use a cane. She has one of those with the wide bottom all picked out already.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. I like the plain old rectangle white ice cream/chocolate cakey-outside (would you even call that a cookie?) ones that have been around for a thousand years.

    Wouldn't it be neat if she didn't even need that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those ancient style ice cream sandwiches are the ones we get. I don't think I've ever had the other kinds, like with chocolate chip cookies on the outside.

    That would be awesome if she didn't even need a cane, but I think she'll be too nervous without *something.*

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad the surgery went well. Hoping her recovery does the same. Stay hydrated for sure. And ice cream sandwiches should totally be a food group. We are huge fans of Fat Boys around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to look up Fat Boys. Don't think I've seen them around here. It popped up on the Walmart site but said 'Not available in your area.' Booo!

      ~Deb

      Delete