Saturday, July 2, 2016

Read - The Hidden Oracle

The Hidden Oracle
(The Trials of Apollo, Book One)
by Rick Riordan
2016
361 pages

'How do you punish an immortal?

By making him human.

After angering his father Zeus, the god Apollo is cast down from Olympus. Weak and disoriented, he lands in New York City as a regular teenage boy. Now, without his godly powers, the four-thousand-year-old deity must learn to survive in the modern world until he can somehow find a way to regain Zeus's favor.

But Apollo has many enemies-gods, monsters, and mortals who would love to see the former Olympian permanently destroyed. Apollo needs help, and he can think of only one place to go . . . an enclave of modern demigods known as Camp Half-Blood.
'

*** MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS ***

I was pretty excited when I first heard about this book, and I did enjoy it, but I think the whole Percy Jackson / Camp Half-Blood thing is getting old for me.  The thing that kept me going through the boredom in this one was Apollo's completely over the top ego and arrogance.  My mind read his narrative with a sort C3PO voice, that very proper, slightly British type of voice.  It was so funny, and so perfect.

Anyway, Apollo is booted out of Olympus by his angry father and drops down in a New York dumpster, where he is immediately beat up and mugged.  A strange young girl saves him and he becomes bound to her.  Apollo knows they are both in danger.  He has no powers and she's an unclaimed, untrained demigod making her way on her own.  He decides they need to get to Percy Jackson's apartment, and from there they head for the safety of Camp Half-Blood.  Of course.

Once they get to the camp they learn of strange things that have been happening, like communications being down and campers going missing.  Apollo himself had trouble coming through the woods to get to camp, feeling like the trees were calling to him and confusing him.  Is it all related?

Familiar characters return in this first book of the new series.  Chiron is there, Percy, Rachel Dare, Leo Valdez, Nico.  There are new characters too, mainly Meg, the girl who saved Apollo.  There are the usual camp antics, including a three-legged death race, the usual battles.  I mean, there just isn't really anything new to the format or the story.  It was still enjoyable though.  While Percy Jackson might be witty and kinda snarky, Apollo's personality . . . well, no, his narrative . . . is just so much more comical.  Still, I don't know if I'll continue with the series because, as I said, it's just getting old now.

4 comments:

  1. The magic is fading. I will probably still attempt to read this but I agree, I am kinda over the Percy Jackson format. In hindsight I probably should have just stopped at Heroes of Olympus. I enjoyed that series. Thanks for a great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg and Apollo are quite interesting and entertaining in this one, but the larger story beyond that was sort of lacking.

      It still confuses me that I can't get into the Magnus Chase book. You'd think, being Norse, THAT would be the one I flew through. I think I'm going to shove that one aside for a good long while and then try it again down the road.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. The three-legged death race was always the best part of the last day of school

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have won every year, or you wouldn't be here posting about it. Right?!

      ~Deb

      Delete