Friday, September 2, 2016

Haul - Bath & Body Works / Fall

Last week, it was getting dangerously close to the kickoff of the fall season and I had not yet decided if I wanted to go ahead and get some fall type shower gels.  I'd hoped something would have popped up at Walmart by that time but nooooooo.  I'd even considered going without fancy fall scents.

Slightly off topic of that, I used to think that Bath & Body Works was nothing but overpriced hype.  I used to say I wouldn't spend that kind of money on body products when cheaper alternatives worked just as well.  I've changed my tune this year.  For the past couple years, my skin seems to be way more sensitive to things than it ever used to be.  I used to think it was just readjusting after switching from handcrafted soaps back to commercial body washes.  I don't know what's going on but it's clear it's not just some simple readjustment.  Late 2015 and early 2016 I was using B&BW shower gels exclusively because I'd been gifted some and had ordered others thanks to gift cards.  I started to realize, hey, my skin isn't acting all irritable!  I wondered if I'd have to eat my words about B&BW.  What those stashes finally ran out this summer, I went back to using cheaper stuff and -BAM- the fussy skin started acting up again.

Okay, now you'll see how that little tangent reconnects to this haul.  I had decided I wanted to go back to using B&BW shower gels, and I'd finally decided I did indeed want some fall scents, so I went to the website and started browsing.  I was surprised to find they don't have any spiced apple scent!  I had Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin in my cart but remembered I hadn't really liked that scent several years ago when I'd had it.  I saw Purrfect Pumpkin scent, in festive Halloween packaging, and quickly threw that into my cart.  Then I hesitated, wondering if I'd really like that scent or not.  I decided to head to that actual store instead, where I could sniff things and make a better decision.

Got to the store and sniffed Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin, and was correct in remembering I don't like that one.  It's not deep enough or warm enough for me.  I avoided Marshmallow Pumpkin Latte for the longest time because I assumed it would have a coffee smell to it.  When I finally smelled it out of frustration, I was amazed!  There isn't really a coffee note at all!  The creamy pumpkin is thick and deep and slightly warm, much more what I was looking for.  I sniffed all the other fall scents I could find and nothing really tripped my trigger.  I was bummed there was not spiced apple scent.  And I could not find that Halloween-y Purrfect Pumpkin.  I eventually asked the clerk about it and she said she didn't know anything about it, that maybe they'd be getting their other fall stuff in " . . . maybe later next week?"  (This was shocking to me because usually they have that stuff drilled into their heads and they're not shy about ramming it down your throat as you try to shop.  Has B&BW done away with that technique?)

Anyway, I decided not to buy anything that day, thinking I'd wait and check back " . . . maybe later next week?"  Then I admitted to myself the odds of me actually making it back to the store were slim, so I decided to place an order online as soon as I got home.  I had been able to sniff the tiny preview candle of the Purrfect Pumpkin scent in the store and that was enough for me to know I wanted the shower gel.

So yeah, I ended up ordering the Purrfect Pumpkin shower gel and fragrance mist.  It is described as 'Carved pumpkins, spooky cinnamon, black ginger, moonlight vanilla, and spiked amber.'  It's more of a perfume-y, lighter, fresher pumpkin scent.  I'll use this one in October, when scents are still a bit lighter.

I ordered the Marshmallow Pumpkin Latte shower gel and fragrance mist for November, when I like my scents to be getting warmer, deeper.  It's described as 'Pumpkin latte, toasted marshmallow, creamy sandalwood, white ginger, and praline musk.'

And I ordered Pear & Brown Sugar shower gel and fragrance mist to use now, in September, when I prefer spiced fruits that are just starting to warm up and transition to spicier fall types.  This was the closest thing I could find to a cinnamon-apple scent, since B&BW doesn't seem to have that.  Described as 'Bartlett pear, brown sugar, almond creme, vanilla praline, and toasted hazelnut,' it's like warm brown sugar and musk, with just enough of the fruity pear note to keep it feeling like a spice apple type scent without actually being one.  It will have to do.

That is my little Bath & Body Works fall haul.  I'll have to place another order when the Christmas scents come out because I will NEED Twisted Peppermint for December.

Do you have B&BW fall favorites?
Do you think B&BW is really worth the price?

6 comments:

  1. Great purchases! I do love the Marshmallow Pumpkin Latte and I'm going to break out my shower gel as soon as my current one runs out. I also quite enjoy Cup of Warmth (chai) Cozy Sunday Morning, and Wrapped in Comfort (cashmere & almond) from last year. I do hope they bring these back!
    The Brown Sugar Pear smelled nice in store, but I have enough body care to last many years, so I'm trying not to purchase any.
    My fall BBW purchases will be posted on Monday.
    Enjoy your new goodies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like this Brown Sugar Pear but am still surprised and bummed that they don't have a spiced apple scent for fall?!

      I'll be looking for that post on Monday. +)

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. I LOVE the pumpkin latte scent! It is so inctediblely good and I was amazed, too, how there is no trace of latte in it. It's so creamy and good.
    You are going to smell yummy this fall. Yes, yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have my Burt's Bees Caramel Lip balm, so yeah, I'm smelling pretty yummy. I'll catch a whiff of yumminess once in a while and think 'Mmm, what is that? Oh wait, that's ME!' LOL

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. I agree, they totally need a spiced apple scent. I would be all over that. I do enjoy The Pumpkin Latte and bought a few in hand soap. I never thought to try it in lotion or shower gel. I may have to do that. I think they are worth the money on sale. And BBW has some great sales. Nice haul! I am loving the Pumpkin Halloween labels. Super cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a BBW outlet store near here that I might need to start frequenting. hehe

      ~Deb

      Delete