Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Thankful Natters - Day 1


Well, it's November now.  That is just insane.  Cliche to say, but, where has this year gone?!
As you can see, I did some redecorating here on the blog, trying to get a Thanksgiving theme.  I couldn't find any I liked on the usual site that I use for backgrounds so I've sort of improvised for now.  And because October / Blogtober is done now, I needed a name for the November posts.  I had the brilliant idea of Thankful Natters, and was going to include one thing in each post that I'm thankful for.  I started wondering though, what's the difference between thankful and grateful?  I wondered if people used them incorrectly, like they do with the work ironic.  I did a quickie Google search, which lead to a lot more reading than I'd intended, and I started over-thinking it all, and still really don't know the difference.  So now I'm going to feel weird posting things I'm thankful for it's actually things I'm grateful for.  Only I could turn this into a stressful situation!  lol

November 1st in Wisconsin and it was 70 degrees, sunny, and people were running around in shorts and flip-flops.  Craziness, but I liked it.  The farmer who rents some of our land was picking his corn today.  Despite our summer-like weather, this picking of the corn is like closing the doors on summer and unlocking the other doors to let winter find its way in.  The bare fields now when I look out my window are a reminder of the cold and windy days to come.  I'm okay with because I'm pretty excited for the holidays at the moment.  Hopefully this feeling lasts and doesn't fizzle like it did for Halloween.

My day started great, with high hopes for being productive, but then sunk into a crabby pit somewhere along the way.  I went to my mom's this morning, took her to town to get her hair cut and pick up a few groceries.  Got home from there and started bringing in the Halloween decorations from outside.  Minion got outside during this process and it took Casey and I both coaxing and waiting to get him back in.  He'd gone under the porch where we couldn't get him, and was busy sniffing everything.  He'd do this worried little meow every once in a while, like he didn't want to be out there, but he would not come out.  When he finally did, he seemed quite grateful/thankful when I grabbed him and hurried him back into the house.

My mind just kept getting more and more distracted as the day went on.  Things that should have been simple and quick, like bringing in the Halloween decorations, became frustrating.  We don't have proper storage for those things so I ended up just throwing them on the floor of the back room in an impatient hissy fit.  So then packing up the indoor decorations should have been easy because I barely got any out this year.  Nope, because the few new things we'd accumulated totally threw off the packing in the tote and that too became an angry chore.  Then I grabbed the tote of Thanksgiving decorations, thinking I would get that done fast because again, there aren't many things in there.  Nope again, because there is more than I remembered and I was already pissy so this task became a major chore as well.  Casey snapped at me to just let it sit until I was in a better mood.  I snapped back that no, I wanted to get it done now and then it would be out of the way.  Well, I did end up setting it aside because I'd just gotten so freakin' crabby.  Wow, really?  For some stinkin' pumpkin and pilgrim decorations?  Yep, that's my life.

I never did get those blog posts done that I'd been hoping to do.  I never did get to play around with my fun new toys today.  (Those fun new toys will be explained if I *ever* get those posts done!)  The afternoon and evening were just a sort of 'I give up' funk.  This is not how I wanted to spend my day off!  So I'm heading to bed now and hoping for a better day tomorrow.

Have you shifted seamlessly into Thanksgiving mode?
Can you explain thankful vs. grateful to me?

Day 1 thankfulness:
My blog.  This might sound petty but it's proven itself to be quite a little companion to me.  It's opened opportunities for me, introduced me to some wonderful people, and has been about the most consistent way I've found to keep a sort of journal about my life.  I've sputtered in that many times but I always seem to come back to my humble little blog and I'm thankful for it.

What are you thankful for today?

***REMINDER***
You still have time to enter my NeoCell health and beauty supplement giveaway
HERE.


8 comments:

  1. I know grateful and thankful are considered synonyms, but I've always viewed them with a different connotation. Usually I'm grateful in relation to the actions of a person or group of people and thankful for a situation that is in my favor. I'm grateful to have you as a friend <3 and thankful that the internet allows me to meet people from across the country and globe!

    I may not have shifted into Thanksgiving mode, but the weather sure has! The highs for this week are in the low 50s, and that's only for an hour or two of the day. My feet and toes are cold when I walk around the house! I have to wear pants to feel warm! I've taken a bath a day for the past week! YAY!

    I know this is a late comment to your post, but I'll answer it for November 1st. On November 1st I was thankful that Michael had a surprise 4-day weekend, from Oct. 31-Nov. 4! We spent the entire week playing video games and enjoying each other's company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like an awesome 4-day weekend! Was UO in there anywhere? Did you participate in any of the Halloween stuff in-game this year? I'd wanted to but then never did log on enough to check it out.

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. UO was in it for me! Michael's not much of a player. He tried once, 7 years ago, but it wasn't for him. Phooey. I didn't participate in any of the Halloween stuff. I wanted to, but the month ran away from me before I realized it.

      Delete
    3. Is Michael more of a shooter game person? My boys love all those types...Call of Duty, and whatnot. They've gone to those more now than things like WoW and UO.

      ~Deb

      Delete
    4. Yeah. He really likes Counter Strike:Global Offensive and games like that. He does play some Ark with us, so that's always fun!
      He's also not as big of a gamer as I am, so he doesn't hooked on games as easily as I do.

      Delete
    5. It's cool that you and your family still play a lot. I wish mine still did.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. Do you have any of those Rubbermaid bins? That is what we use to put our decorations in for storage. I like to get a couple when they are on sale post holidays. But now that I have a few Halloween decorations I will have to either buy a new bin or squeeze them in an old bin. Sorry it got frustrating for you. Did you ever get it situated?

    I consider thankfulness and gratefulness to be similar and would use them interchangeably with ease. Don't sweat that. Either way. Being thankful or grateful for something is a positive thing and no one would fault you for your word choice. We could all use a bit more thankfulness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have bins but we need more. And with the outside decorations tending to be larger things, we need the really big bins. We did buy one yesterday, so now we have to actually put it to use and get that room cleaned up. Bleah.

      We DO need more thankfulness and I'm going to go ahead with it in my posts, even if it does come across dorky.

      ~Deb

      Delete