Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Haul - Papercakes

Last year around Halloween I'd been browsing YouTube for craft haul videos and came across Serena Bee's channel.  I didn't know it at the time but she's quite the up-and-coming designer in paper crafts.  She had released her own line of papers and journaling cards in Halloween themes last year.  She was part of the Tombow company's design team this year.  Also this year, she started her own company called Papercakes.  I bought the Halloween set of papers and cards that she re-released in her shop, because at that time I'd been all about starting Project Life (pocket scrapbooking).  Well when my interest shifted back to card making but with stamps and dies this time, I was very excited when Serena re-released an even older set of hers called Deadly Desserts . . . in stamps and dies!

This is not my typical style but my immediate thought for something like this was cards for my niece.
I've seen these used in many different color themes for many different seasons and ocassions, but it's a birthday card for my 20-something Goth loving niece that really came to mind.  Ok, so what else can I do with them?  I'm sure she wouldn't appreciate the same card year after year.  Well, if things go the way I'm quietly hoping, I'll just make a variety of different cards with this set, because there are certainly others out there who like this style too.

I'm happy to support Serena as she makes her dreams of being a designer come true.  I feel I'm limited in my support though because her style is just not really my style.  She came out with three Christmas sets of papers and cards recently and although I wanted to, I couldn't get myself to buy any because, like I said, it's just not my style.  I think if the sets go on sale after Christmas I might buy one, or maybe all three, to have on hand to make cards in this style to have on hand, but for my own use in card giving, nah.  Another limiting factor is she's Canadian and the shipping is killer.  Like right now she has these really cute sequin mixes that I'd love to get (and support her) but that shipping is what stops me, especially when I know I can probably get similar sequin mixes from within the US.

I'd love to find some US based up-and-coming designers with styles closer to mine that I could gladly support.  If you know of any, please let me know.

But for now, I will happily support Serena's Papercakes in the limited ways that I can.
I encourage you to check out her site too!

No comments:

Post a Comment