Monday, December 19, 2016

Haul - Sweet Fixations

You know Sweet Fixations is one of my favorite vendors.  I was disappointed when she'd said she would add new winter scents in November.  That might not seem like a big deal but a lot of wax junkies like to get their seasonal scents well ahead of time so they're ready to go.  Plus, with the way shops do business these days (longer TATs and whatnot) November was frustratingly late.  Well then November came and went with no new scents anyway so I figured oh well.  When I saw the 'New scents added!' announcement . . . on Dec. 8 . . . I wasn't even going to bother.  Dec. 8 with a ten day TAT didn't leave a lot of time to be enjoying those new scents this Christmas.  Still, I went ahead and placed an order.

I think I grabbed all of the new scents, regardless if I thought I'd like them or not.  I only briefly skimmed the scent descriptions to be sure there was nothing like zucchini or wood smoke, then threw them all into my cart.  I also grabbed a few old favorites just to have extras on hand.

So let's take a look!

Marshmallow Pumpkin Latte - 'Yummy and creamy pumpkin latte topped with marshmallows.'
      This does not mention being a BBW dupe, so I don't know if it's supposed to be or what.  This smells more pumpkin-y than what I remember the BBW being.  I only get the tiniest hint of coffee.  The pumpkin is not spicy, but more like the puree fresh from the can, and then the whole scent is warm and creamy.  Very nice.  I will tuck this one away for next fall.

Sugar Plum Fairies - 'Sweet and sugary candy goodness.'
 There seem to be a lot of sweet, candy type scents in this release and I was worried about that because I usually get sick of those really fast.  This one is surprisingly nice.  It is very sweet and candy-like but not to that super sugary point.  There is a sort of grape note to this, or maybe it's dark berries, and there is a remaining hint of juiciness, like it's right on the edge of falling over into full-on candy status.

Reindeer Games - '(SF Blend)- Blend of applejack and peel and mistletoe.'
I'd requested Apple Jack & Peel this summer.  I hadn't expected it to show up in a blend for Christmas.  The mistletoe part drowns it out anyway.  I get maybe a hint of that fall scent warmth behind the greenery notes and very soft pine and whatever makes up the mistletoe scent.  Not really a fan of this one, at least not on cold sniff.

Elfin' Around - '(SF Blend)- Elves love this blend of rice krispies, sweet cinnamon graham crackers and cookies while their elfin' around in santa's workshop.'
This one smells darn yummy though!  It's a sweet bakery scent, not too warm and heavy.  I get the cookie note and the sweet gooey marshmallow from the Rice Krispies, and hints of the graham crackers.  Can't wait to melt this one!
 
Santa's Workshop - '(SF Blend) - Enjoy the scents of elf sweat, candy canes, and santa's magic dust.'
This one is . . . interesting.  It reminds me of a candy dish with all kinds of candy mixed in, or like that smell of Halloween candy in a plastic pumpkin after trick-or-treating.  It's not super powdery candy sweet though.  I get a wee hint of mint deep within, and there is something reminding me of Juicy Fruit gum.  Not sure how I feel about this yet.
 
The Night Before Christmas - '(SF Blend)- Great for the night before Christmas or anytime! A blend of sugar plum fairies, mints, and pomegranate frosting.'
I don't notice the mint but there is something 'cool' about this one.  I mostly get the Sugar Plum Fairies notes, and that's okay.

Santa Farts - 'Fun blend of sweet candy with hints of chocolate and nutty vanilla.'
I don't get into the potty humor of 'farts' and 'poop' scents but oh well, it was a new offering and I'm trying it.  This is more of a bakery scent.  I don't get any sweet candy notes, but I do get a lot of vanilla with a hint of nuts mixed in.  There is just the faintest hint of something resembling a popcorn note, like popcorn and sugar cookies had a baby.  I'll probably melt this but it could very wrong if that popcorn-ish hint comes out stronger.

Holly Jolly - '(SF Blend)- Santa's sugar cookies, maple fudge, and sweet waffle cones.'
Now this one I like.  It's a warm, slightly gooey bakery scent.  Not sure what that gooey comes from, the maple fudge maybe?  It seems like sweet caramel mixed with cozy vanilla bakery.

Holiday Cheer - 'A wonderful fragrance that captures all the scents of the holidays. Apples, yams, marshmallows, sweet cinnamon butter and cloves.'
 While this scent is not new with this release, I think it's the first time I've had it.  This is the scent that is more commonly known as Country Bumpkin, a scent that was my absolute favorite for quite a while back in my soap making days.  Apparently I hadn't realized Sweet Fixations had it until it was pointed out to me this summer when she was asking for scent requests.  I'm not getting much on cold sniff at the moment, but what I remember about the scent totally puts it in the fall category with those warm spiced notes and cozy goodness.  I'll have to melt this even though it's winter, just to see if it's like I remember.

Unicorn Poop - '(SF Blend) - Of course, this will smell like bubblegum, cotton candy and fruit candies.'
Strong on the bubblegum, with powdery candy sweetness (like SweeTarts) mixed in.

Lemon Pistachio Cake - '(SB Blend) - Sweet and tart lemons folded into yummy pistachio cake.'
Lemon?  I'm there.  The nuttiness of the pistachio is strong though, and has me leery about this one.  I do get the lovely bright lemon and the warm, sweet cake notes, but that dry nutty note just keeps dancing through in a taunting manner.  I'll give it a try though.

Mom's Cinnamon Baked Pears - 'Smells just like mom is in the kitchen baking a warm pear cobbler with cinnamon sprinkled all over.'
This could be a BBW scent.  It would be nice in body products because there is a sort of soapy, perfume-y-ness happening here.  I don't get any warmth of cobbler or cinnamon, and I don't get any pear note.  I don't get anything bakery about this one.  Almost makes me wonder if it's the wrong tart.

Bowl of Cereal - '(SF Blend)- The best bowl of cereal ever with fruit loops, lucky charms, fruity pebbles and boo berry. And the best part is it'll never get soggy!'
 A very nice fruity sweet cereal scent.  I'm often rather meh about Fruit Loops type scents.  My nose must be in the mood for different things this year though because I quite like this one.

Maple Fudge - 'Rich and warm blend of warm maple, chocolate, with walnut crunch and sugar sprinkles.'
I'm not a big fan of chocolate scents in home fragrance, and nutty scents can be too dry and bleah at times, but hey, I was trying all the new scents, right?  This is actually quite delicious on cold sniff!  It has that sort of sweet caramel gooey note that I was getting in the Holly Jolly scent, so now I know Maple Fudge is that strong note in that one.  I don't get a distinct chocolate note, and that's good.  I really like this one!  At least so far on cold sniff . . .
 
Netflix & Chill - '(SF Blend)- Kick back to the relaxin' blend of dreamsicle, mango slices, and pomegranate.'
According to the description, this is a Sweet Fixations blend, but didn't Rosegirls have a scent by the same name?  Or something similar?  Not that it matters, I guess.  This is very fruity but in a warmer, more adult way.  I think the pomegranate is strongest.  Mango can be iffy for me, and I'm not picking up any potentially bleah note on cold sniff.  There is something that almost seems to want to be slightly fizzy.  This one could be interesting once warmed.

Candy Cane - 'Sweet cool mint candy. Great holiday scent.'
 This is one of my Christmas must-haves, so I just grabbed another since I was placing an order.  It's a wonderful sweet and creamy vanilla-mint, perfect for Christmas and winter melting.

Jack Frost - 'A wonderful blend of vanilla beans and mint!'
I grabbed another of these too just because I love these types of vanilla-mint scents for the holidays.  I prefer Candy Canes to this though.  This one is heavier on the vanilla and whatever else is going on in there.  The mint is much less defined.  Still nice though.

Cozy Home - 'Housewarming spices with slices of juicy apples. Perfect for fall!'
I received this as a freebie with my order and was absolutely thrilled.  I *LOVE* this one for fall, and fell hard for this type of scent in general this year.  It is a deliciously warm spiced fruit punch type of scent, deep and rich and just so perfect for fall.

Bewitched - 'Bubbly berries, mandarin, peach and more will delight the senses!'
I also received this cute little spiderweb shaped sample with my order.  I'm pretty sure I've had this scent before and it's not one I care for much.  It's fruity but there is something sort of dry about it.  There is something reminding me of champagne too.  Weird.

These scent shots are $1.75 at Sweet Fixations.  Most of mine were 1.6 oz., with a couple 1.5 and 1.4 in the mix.  I placed my order on Thursday, Dec. 8 and received it on Monday, Dec. 19.  Shipping was charged separately, when the order was ready to go, and I paid $7.00.

Have you tried Sweet Fixations lately?
Do you have any favorite SF scents?

No comments:

Post a Comment